November 2015 Moms

The Official Labor Watch Thread(L&D questions, concerns, and announcements)

Re: The Official Labor Watch Thread(L&D questions, concerns, and announcements)

• rachswi said:

Really really frustrated. I've been having contractions since 4:30 yesterday afternoon (it's now 9:45 am here so going on 17 hours). DH and I decided it was time to head to the hospital around midnight since the contractions had increased a bit in intensity and we had an hour drive ahead of us. That drive was miserable. Got to the hospital to find I was only dilated 1 cm and 50% effaced. Walked the halls for an hour and dilated to 2 cm. I've been stuck there ever since so I was given the option of leaving or getting induced since I'm 39+5.

We decided that since I was had a scheduled appointment with the midwife this afternoon that we would leave and labor at my brothers house since he lives in the town where the hospital is. We're going to go to my appointment this afternoon and see where things are. I'm not sure what we will decide since an hour home and then an hour back to the hospital later sounds terrible with contractions. But I don't really want pitocin since there's a greater risk of c-section and I'm having a lot of back labor which would only intensify... Advice??

Good luck :) ftm, so no real experience, but it sounds like laboring at your brother's might be nice to avoid driving so much.. Hopefully you will have progressed some more by the time your appointment rolls around.
  • I've been having stomach pains like I ate too much all morning and feel like I have to puke/poop. Not sure if this is the start of labor or not. I don't remember much of the beginning of labor from my first. But no matter what position I'm in, I'm uncomfortable and the pain does not stop. Baby is moving fine so I'm not worried something is wrong. Just not sure if this is the start of labor.
    Has this happened to anyone else and they had baby soon after?
  • Loading the player...
  • 40+3 today! Currently at the Drs hoping all this pain I've experienced within the past week is some sort of progress, if not Dr will bring up the conversation of scheduling an induction :neutral: . Come on baby girl
  • I've been having stomach pains like I ate too much all morning and feel like I have to puke/poop. Not sure if this is the start of labor or not. I don't remember much of the beginning of labor from my first. But no matter what position I'm in, I'm uncomfortable and the pain does not stop. Baby is moving fine so I'm not worried something is wrong. Just not sure if this is the start of labor. Has this happened to anyone else and they had baby soon after?
    I've been having stomach/digestive cramps after eating for about 4-5 days now. :/

• I've been having stomach pains like I ate too much all morning and feel like I have to puke/poop. Not sure if this is the start of labor or not. I don't remember much of the beginning of labor from my first. But no matter what position I'm in, I'm uncomfortable and the pain does not stop. Baby is moving fine so I'm not worried something is wrong. Just not sure if this is the start of labor.

I've been having stomach/digestive cramps after eating for about 4-5 days now. :/

It's not after eating though. It's just a constant pain. I have eaten very little today because I feel hungry but also feel full at the same time..
  • I've been having stomach pains like I ate too much all morning and feel like I have to puke/poop. Not sure if this is the start of labor or not. I don't remember much of the beginning of labor from my first. But no matter what position I'm in, I'm uncomfortable and the pain does not stop. Baby is moving fine so I'm not worried something is wrong. Just not sure if this is the start of labor. Has this happened to anyone else and they had baby soon after?
    It's not after eating though. It's just a constant pain. I have eaten very little today because I feel hungry but also feel full at the same time..
    Ah, gotcha.
  • Doc did a sweep today to get me between a 2 and 3, and I am scheduled for induction at 5 AM tomorrow at 39W6D! I can't believe it. I had said that I didn't want him born on Friday the 13th, but of course with Murphy's Law that's exactly what will likely happen (unless labor is super long, which I'm hoping to avoid). Good luck everyone!
  • Was due on the 9th. Constant menstrual like cramps some with take my breath away pain for 2 days now, he has dropped wicked low, but contractions are irregular and never consistent with no bloody show or water breaking. Scheduled an induction on the 19th. I hope this deadline makes him want to appear before then because I still want a natural birth. Otherwise I might have to let go of this notion of him arriving naturally, which I hope I don't have to do.
  • Me too!! I have the same phantom wet spots! I am 38+5.

We're having twins

Our angel baby boy is looking over his twin sister - due November 21

• Currently being induced due to high blood pressure :). Excited but mildly freaking out.
  • No baby & Dr is on board with letting me go into natural labor no induction unless I hit 42&4 days
  • rachswi said:

Really really frustrated. I've been having contractions since 4:30 yesterday afternoon (it's now 9:45 am here so going on 17 hours). DH and I decided it was time to head to the hospital around midnight since the contractions had increased a bit in intensity and we had an hour drive ahead of us. That drive was miserable. Got to the hospital to find I was only dilated 1 cm and 50% effaced. Walked the halls for an hour and dilated to 2 cm. I've been stuck there ever since so I was given the option of leaving or getting induced since I'm 39+5.

We decided that since I was had a scheduled appointment with the midwife this afternoon that we would leave and labor at my brothers house since he lives in the town where the hospital is. We're going to go to my appointment this afternoon and see where things are. I'm not sure what we will decide since an hour home and then an hour back to the hospital later sounds terrible with contractions. But I don't really want pitocin since there's a greater risk of c-section and I'm having a lot of back labor which would only intensify... Advice??

If you're having that much back labor get on the spinning babies website and do some exercises to move the baby. Sounds like they're posterior, which causes back labor and slow dilation. Getting baby into a better position can help all of that.
  • Just caught up on all your labor stories! And have seen many of you now on the announcement page so that is soo exciting! Looks like a good mix of -that labor was the hardest thing I have ever done- or -baby popped right out easy peasy. Hope recovery is going well for you ladies.
    37+4 here and nothing going on. NOTHING. Anxious to meet baby and anxious to be done with work and onto maternity leave as closing up my position for 10 weeks (and training my temp replacement) has been an ass wooping on every level.

Ah, gotcha.

yes! This! It's been happening since mid day and I do have some fairly non-painful contractions occasionally on top.

Super uncomfortable! Hopefully it means something for both of us!

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Can someone please help elaborate on back labor verses normal labor? I know labor is different for everyone but from what I've been told with back labor contractions and other signs of labor may not always be present/noticeable.

Back labor for me felt like a ton of pressure and like someone had a blow torch to my back with every contraction.
  • Can someone please help elaborate on back labor verses normal labor? I know labor is different for everyone but from what I've been told with back labor contractions and other signs of labor may not always be present/noticeable.

Back labor for me felt like a ton of pressure and like someone had a blow torch to my back with every contraction.
    Like burning? I keep feeling like my back is on fire. Like I'm wearing a corset made of fire. And hate.
  • So I started contracting around 8pm with them increasing to 3 in 10 mins lasting just under s minute, went to the hospital but only 1cm :( was devastated to be coming back home, just trying to get sleep before hopefully going back later for the real deal! Fingers crossed for us all!
  • Currently sitting at the hospital since last night when they started the induction process 8 hours ago. A few contractions but still no dilation :(

Did you ladies know that it can take several days to be induced??

I thought it was a quick deal for some reason. The stuff you discover during pregnancy :)
  • First trip to L&D and got sent home basically right away. Having contractions every 5 minutes, but only 1cm dilated. It's so frustrating, especially because I'm so dang uncomfortable and feel like I'm getting nowhere for the amount of pain I'm in... ugh.
  • Currently sitting at the hospital since last night when they started the induction process 8 hours ago. A few contractions but still no dilation :(

I thought it was a quick deal for some reason. The stuff you discover during pregnancy :)

Of course it can! If your body isn't ready it's not going to just progress automatically.
    I'm kind of shocked you're just now learning this.
  • Savlin12 said:

40+3 today! Currently at the Drs hoping all this pain I've experienced within the past week is some sort of progress, if not Dr will bring up the conversation of scheduling an induction :neutral: . Come on baby girl

How did the Drs go? I'm in the same boat 40+3 today and Drs tomorrow to see where I'm at and if we need to look at booking induction for next week. Not ideal but I suppose you just have to go with whatever happens.
  • On our way to hospital. RCS. Good luck momma's, see you in the other side:)
  • Prodromal labour suuuuccckkksss
    image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Pontot31 said:

Currently sitting at the hospital since last night when they started the induction process 8 hours ago. A few contractions but still no dilation :(

Of course it can! If your body isn't ready it's not going to just progress automatically.
    I'm kind of shocked you're just now learning this.
    Wow - I was being sarcastic...
    Not everyone on this board is a an uneducated moron.
  • sometimes I wish there was a way to magically know if labor was approaching or not. 
    i've been experiencing a major increase in vaginal discharge (which is nasty btw) braxton hicks contractions, major pelvic pressure-- mild cramping feelings. but had my cervix checked at my last OB apt. and low and behold i was only a fingertip dilated and my cervix was also apparently still really far back. my dr says they're confident she will most likely be here by her due date (11/24) and they won't let me go later than the first week of december. i'm just so ready to meet my kid, and the anticipation is killing me. also feeling like a turtle when i try to get up off of a couch or out of bed-- that's killing me too. i'm so mentally and physically ready to have her here. I've also read (not that this is indicative of anything) that if you start experiencing an increase in bowel movements it can be your body's way of starting to make room for baby in the birth canal? our bodies are so weird but kinda cool at the same time.
    BabyName Ticker
  • sometimes I wish there was a way to magically know if labor was approaching or not. 
    i've been experiencing a major increase in vaginal discharge (which is nasty btw) braxton hicks contractions, major pelvic pressure-- mild cramping feelings. but had my cervix checked at my last OB apt. and low and behold i was only a fingertip dilated and my cervix was also apparently still really far back. my dr says they're confident she will most likely be here by her due date (11/24) and they won't let me go later than the first week of december. i'm just so ready to meet my kid, and the anticipation is killing me. also feeling like a turtle when i try to get up off of a couch or out of bed-- that's killing me too. i'm so mentally and physically ready to have her here. I've also read (not that this is indicative of anything) that if you start experiencing an increase in bowel movements it can be your body's way of starting to make room for baby in the birth canal? our bodies are so weird but kinda cool at the same time.

I'm due the same day and feeling the same way,! Just a little bit longer, we got this! @BlondeMomma92
  • 40 weeks today! I'm just going to go back to bed now ...
  • Next baby

sometimes I wish there was a way to magically know if labor was approaching or not. 

I've been experiencing muuuultiple bathroom trips a day. For like 3 weeks-ish. The past few days are especially, ahem, softer than normal. I don't think (unfortunately) that's it's truly indicative of impending labor. I will say, it makes me a tiny bit concerned come labor time..what with all this movement happening.

On a side note, is anyone else here concerned about their SO being a good birth partner?...
    Mine is excited and I know he'll be a great father. However, he seems not to be taking the seriousness of labor very..seriously. I don't want my mother in the room, I don't have a doula, but I very much want a natural, med-free birth (situation allowing).
    I'm afraid he doesn't quite understand/care/take initiative to find out why these things are so important to me.
    I'm afraid he's going to not be very helpful or even get nervous and push for me to just go ahead and get epi or whatever instead of being supportive or guiding me.. I try and talk to him here and there about it, but he just kind of teases me or makes a joke about me pooping in labor...that was funny months ago, but shits getting real now(hah)!
    It's a very vulnerable time, and could be very empowering, but I just don't know where his head is at.
    Anyone else feel this way or have been through something similar? Or you extra badass ladies who went at it alone- any advice?..
  • Next baby

sometimes I wish there was a way to magically know if labor was approaching or not. 

I've been experiencing muuuultiple bathroom trips a day. For like 3 weeks-ish. The past few days are especially, ahem, softer than normal. I don't think (unfortunately) that's it's truly indicative of impending labor. I will say, it makes me a tiny bit concerned come labor time..what with all this movement happening.

On a side note, is anyone else here concerned about their SO being a good birth partner?...
    Mine is excited and I know he'll be a great father. However, he seems not to be taking the seriousness of labor very..seriously. I don't want my mother in the room, I don't have a doula, but I very much want a natural, med-free birth (situation allowing).
    I'm afraid he doesn't quite understand/care/take initiative to find out why these things are so important to me.
    I'm afraid he's going to not be very helpful or even get nervous and push for me to just go ahead and get epi or whatever instead of being supportive or guiding me.. I try and talk to him here and there about it, but he just kind of teases me or makes a joke about me pooping in labor...that was funny months ago, but shits getting real now(hah)!
    It's a very vulnerable time, and could be very empowering, but I just don't know where his head is at.
    Anyone else feel this way or have been through something similar? Or you extra badass ladies who went at it alone- any advice?..
    I didn't go medfree last time but I did hold out as long as possible . My husband sucked as a labor partner , I have a video of him talking like the crocodile hunter as he video tapes my contractions on the monitor .

He tried to use humor to get me through everything and it clearly was not working .

This time I told him he better be the partner I need or he can wait outside and I'll do it alone .

I did it alone with my first so I know I can do it

• I've been experiencing muuuultiple bathroom trips a day. For like 3 weeks-ish. The past few days are especially, ahem, softer than normal. I don't think (unfortunately) that's it's truly indicative of impending labor. I will say, it makes me a tiny bit concerned come labor time..what with all this movement happening.

Have you guys been to a birthing class together? If not, I would see if you can find something on YouTube so he can have an idea of what it will be like for real.

It might be good to sit down with him and write a birth plan, even if it's just for you two and not for the doctor/midwife. You cAn outline what you hope he will be able to do for you during the labor and both process, and any things you know you do not what him to do. I found in helpful with DH to talk about how I think I will feel during labor and the things I think I may want and not want. I'm also hoping for an unmedicated labor, so it's important to me that he knows what to expect. Don't be afraid to sit down and have a serious conversation and not just talk about it here or there. He is probably nervous and brushing it off because it's easier not to talk about it or to joke. Some people just cope with stress that way.

Like burning? I keep feeling like my back is on fire. Like I'm wearing a corset made of fire. And hate.
    I wouldn't describe my pain as a burning.. More of an intense cramping and ache. It's also on and off.. On for like 10-20mins and then gone for like 10mins or so..which from what I have read is how back labor is typically. Were you having contractions as well as the "blow torch" feeling with your back labor?

I wouldn't describe my pain as a burning.. More of an intense cramping and ache. It's also on and off.. On for like 10-20mins and then gone for like 10mins or so..which from what I have read is how back labor is typically. Were you having contractions as well as the "blow torch" feeling with your back labor?
    What I've been having for days is like... A build up of intense pressure and a feeling I can really only describe as burning in my entire back, along with squeezing cramping in my abdomen. And it will last for about 3 or 4 minutes, go away and come back again in 15. And its like.. The entire day. For 5 days. What it has done is successfully dilate and efface me further along. What it has not done is produce an offspring. So we wait.
  • After almost 36 hours of back labor and repeated failures to get the little man to rotate from posterior to anterior (we tried everything), I was admitted back in the hospital around 2:30 this morning since all the work we did to try to spin little man at least got my cervix dilated to 4.5-5 (had started at 0 at the beginning of labor so those first 36 hours were rough). Got an epidural which apparently has accidentally become a spinal so I'll probably get the spinal headache when all is said and done but at least I'm feeling no pain now! It's seriously been incredible after 36 hours of back labor. I quickly moved to a 10 and was laboring down. Now waiting for the midwife to come so I can start pushing! Hopefully it won't take too long.
  • Had my 40 week appointment today and still 0 dilated, she could feel his head during the check though. Induction scheduled for the 23rd so I'll be 41 weeks and 2 days. Hoping for a little progress to occur on its own before then!
  • Just got back from my 39 week appointment and cervix isn't dilated at all! I was really hoping the mild cramps I have hear and there would have at least put me at 1 cm. Baby watch continues. *sigh*
  • My foot swelling is waaaaay down today. It's such a difference that the skin is really wrinkly from being so stretched out. Did anyone else notice that, and does the skin usually return to normal?
  • Ugh, I hope skin returns to normal. FTM here and my feet look terrible, and have for months. I am scheduled for a c-sec on Tuesday, but two nights ago, I started to be really itchy. Then it stopped. Then it did it again last night. Then it stopped. So, I called the doctor to see if this was something to be concerned about and they acted like it was. Now I have to run in for labs and whatever else they plan to do. Maybe we'll have the baby earlier if I test positive for the liver thing (sorry, pregnancy brain and can't remember what it's called).  39 weeks tomorrow - come on baby girl. Don't give me problems now!!!

We're having twins

Our angel baby boy is looking over his twin sister - due November 21