February 2016 Moms
Options

Unpopular opinions! It is thursdayright?

It's almost 5 here and this hasn't started yet? Wow, it really is dull here!

Re: Unpopular opinions! It is thursdayright?

• Loading the player...
  • Options

I hate all the weight threads in general, but I especially hate when someone starts a weight related thread concerned about gaining too much, and another poster comments that they've actually lost weight.  Way to not be helpful at all.  Total humble brag.

FFC:  I still read the threads anyway, even though I loathe them.
    I read them all too despite some being annoying! I did lose an unhealthy amount of weight but it was due to my appendix and after it got removed my weight skyrocketed back up. So I'm kind of on both ends, but I've gained much much more than what was lost . I just don't care what the scale says so long as baby is good and I'm not dying. Isn't that the way it's supposed to go..?
  • Options
    wisco29 said:

It's almost 5 here and this hasn't started yet? Wow, it really is dull here!

I was going to do one but I could have sworn there was one on tuesday so I did TP instead sorry lol
  • Options
    thisusernamethisusername member
    edited November 2015
    Kiek said:

Oh goodness. I know I already posted one but I just saw another person who I knew from my last command complain about not getting free food yesterday because they were on duty. Let me just throw this out there; Veterans Day is NOT about free food. I find it extremely distasteful and disrespectful for people to complain about not getting free food or not being thanked. I also think it's really annoying how some people change their profile pictures to their boot camp photo or something, especially after just talking crap about the military. Now I'm not saying they shouldn't be proud of themselves too, but the people I'm talking about do it for attention. My mom changed her photo to me and I made her take it down. I don't feel I've spent adequate enough time to deserve anything and I didn't want to see her friends commenting all these "thanks so much" and "you're a strong woman" when there's people out there who have done so much more and their graves are unvisited. Those are the people who should be remembered and thanked.
    I worked yesterday too, but this weekend a group of people and I are going to Arlington to visit the graves that don't get many visitors. I just think that even if you're in the service you should still give a little back and be thanking people too, not seeking glory. We're supposed to be humble..

And stores that use it as an excuse for sales?! Don't even get me started!!

Okay. That felt good and I'm sure some of you don't like how I worded that. Oh well. It's my opinion that you shouldn't glorify yourself and be upset over missing a meal because you're working; the exact type of work that these people are showing you gratitude for!

^^^^this! All of this^^^^ DH is a marine combat vet and he's never once tried to get a free meal or free anything on Veterans Day. Although, I think the gesture is very kind it's just that people abuse it. He and his buddies all posted a meme yesterday that was something like, "let me change my profile picture so you can thank me" lol. Also I just want to add that the spouses that think they also are entitled to the benefits of Veterans Day because "we serve too" makes me want to vomit. Also when a marine wife has the sticker on her car that says "marine wife, toughest job in the corps." No love, it's not.
    I think I just fell in love with you. yes. Dependas living up to the name. There's either a dependent, or a dependas. Dependents are smart and actually love their spouse. Lol

Edit : because even auto correct doesn't like dependas.
  • Options
    @Kiek it didn't post my photo but I just got sent this and I love it.
  • Options
    My UO: cucumber melon scent is disgusting.
  • Options

Kiek said:

Oh goodness. I know I already posted one but I just saw another person who I knew from my last command complain about not getting free food yesterday because they were on duty. Let me just throw this out there; Veterans Day is NOT about free food. I find it extremely distasteful and disrespectful for people to complain about not getting free food or not being thanked. I also think it's really annoying how some people change their profile pictures to their boot camp photo or something, especially after just talking crap about the military. Now I'm not saying they shouldn't be proud of themselves too, but the people I'm talking about do it for attention. My mom changed her photo to me and I made her take it down. I don't feel I've spent adequate enough time to deserve anything and I didn't want to see her friends commenting all these "thanks so much" and "you're a strong woman" when there's people out there who have done so much more and their graves are unvisited. Those are the people who should be remembered and thanked.
    I worked yesterday too, but this weekend a group of people and I are going to Arlington to visit the graves that don't get many visitors. I just think that even if you're in the service you should still give a little back and be thanking people too, not seeking glory. We're supposed to be humble..

And stores that use it as an excuse for sales?! Don't even get me started!!

Okay. That felt good and I'm sure some of you don't like how I worded that. Oh well. It's my opinion that you shouldn't glorify yourself and be upset over missing a meal because you're working; the exact type of work that these people are showing you gratitude for!

^^^^this! All of this^^^^ DH is a marine combat vet and he's never once tried to get a free meal or free anything on Veterans Day. Although, I think the gesture is very kind it's just that people abuse it. He and his buddies all posted a meme yesterday that was something like, "let me change my profile picture so you can thank me" lol. Also I just want to add that the spouses that think they also are entitled to the benefits of Veterans Day because "we serve too" makes me want to vomit. Also when a marine wife has the sticker on her car that says "marine wife, toughest job in the corps." No love, it's not.
    I think I just fell in love with you. yes. Dependas living up to the name. There's either a dependent, or a dependas. Dependents are smart and actually love their spouse. Lol

Edit : because even auto correct doesn't like dependas.
    Tried to convince DH to get an "I <3 my dependa" bumper sticker for his truck. He wouldn't do it lol. Ruining all my fun lol
  • Options

Ok so here goes..ahem..I don't care about the stupid Starbucks non Christmas cup controversy. I don't go there often but when I do its not for the cup anyways so I wish the chatter would go away already

Seriously, this could not be anymore ridiculous. It's a cup people. I don't see any Jewish people screaming for a blue cup covered in menorahs and I'm pretty sure coffee wasn't one of the three gifts of the Magi.
  • Options
    ^^^ Exactly its a paper cup, there is so much more wrong in the world right now that we could worry about
  • Options
    kirkie928kirkie928 member
    edited November 2015
    Ok so here goes..ahem..I don't care about the stupid Starbucks non Christmas cup controversy. I don't go there often but when I do its not for the cup anyways so I wish the chatter would go away already
    I am a Christian and could not care less about what is on a Starbucks cup and I haven't heard of a single person, Christian or not, that was really upset about this.

ETA: My UO is I think the red Starbucks cups are pretty.
    I am 27, DH is 26.
    We have been married since September 28, 2013.
    We had our first child, Zoey, February 7, 2016.

images 300168
  • Options

Where are all these War on Christmas people, though?  Everyone is so upset about people being so upset about it, but where are all these people? I just hear people defending Starbucks' decision.  I think it's just a media ploy on Starbuck's part.  Pretty smooth, SBucks.

In a couple articles there are a FEW tweets from these people who claim to be up in arms over it all. This is exactly what they want though. I swear twitter was invented for the few who complain and get offended to make media headlines. Apparently there also reports of the offended people going to Starbucks and saying their name is 'merry christmas' so the workers have to say it, but again.. I doubt it's more than a handful actually doing it.
    Married: 8/25/12
    Started TTC: 1/1/14
    BFP: 6/1/15
    Baby Girl Athena Born: 2/7/16

• Options
    @sunshine&amp;rain Based on your username I never would've expected that! I love the scent but only if it's the soft soap hand soap thingy.
  • Options

I think it's a ploy that was imposed to distract people from the video that the Canadian government official posted admitting to aliens working with the government and calling Obama out. Too bad the video was taken down while everyone focused on this cup thing!
    (I didn't get to watch the video either but DH made sure to give me a full recap. I don't think it's real, I mean it just doesn't make sense for someone in that position to risk their clearance like that. But you know, laughter and government plots.)
  • Options

Where are all these War on Christmas people, though?  Everyone is so upset about people being so upset about it, but where are all these people? I just hear people defending Starbucks' decision.  I think it's just a media ploy on Starbuck's part.  Pretty smooth, SBucks.

In a couple articles there are a FEW tweets from these people who claim to be up in arms over it all. This is exactly what they want though. I swear twitter was invented for the few who complain and get offended to make media headlines. Apparently there also reports of the offended people going to Starbucks and saying their name is 'merry christmas' so the workers have to say it, but again.. I doubt it's more than a handful actually doing it.
    Whenever I've been to Starbucks they just announce what you order. I've never had them take my name.
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    @acuteangles I looked up the red cup controversy thing yesterday, and from what I read (could be wrong), the whole thing was started by a former pastor named Joshua Feuerstein who is basically known for starting stupid things like this as publicity stunts to draw attention to his website.  Like I said, could be wrong, but I looked it up out of curiosity and could only stand the dude's website for a few seconds so I didn't stick around to check out his track record!

I think the Dunkin Donuts holiday cup is pretty this year!image
    *E 10/2012, H 7/2014, F 2/2016*
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    I think it's a ploy that was imposed to distract people from the video that the Canadian government official posted admitting to aliens working with the government and calling Obama out. Too bad the video was taken down while everyone focused on this cup thing! (I didn't get to watch the video either but DH made sure to give me a full recap. I don't think it's real, I mean it just doesn't make sense for someone in that position to risk their clearance like that. But you know, laughter and government plots.)
    Wait, what? Pretty sure it started because a couple of (or maybe just one?) desperate internet televangelists posted rant-y videos of themselves outside of Starbucks complaining. I highly doubt it's a big coverup plot.
    Married 8.5.12
    Caleb born 10.9.13
    2.0 due 2.1.16
  • Options
    thisusernamethisusername member
    edited November 2015
    @AdventureMama I was NOT being serious. :sweat_smile:
    I think Starbucks let it keep going for the media attention but I don't actually think it's a government cover up! DH told me about the video and I just laughed at the coincidental timing and had to make a joke about it.

But you know those memes that say "next year Starbucks will use blank cups and give out crayons.." Blah blah blah? I actually really want them to do that. Coffee (well tea for me) and coloring? Great morning!!

ETA: I'm not following the whole red cup story becuae I think it is asinine, so I don't know the small details. Just the big storyline that is everywhere.
  • Options
    VitaLuna said:

I HATE at home party type things, hyped up "health fix" brands, "sign up with my link" things, etc. It drives me batty when I get an invite for Pampered Chef, Scentsy, etc and incessant FB updates about how great Isagenix, ItWorks, Shakeology, etc is.

Here's an idea... if you want to have a "girls night", let's head to a coffee shop instead if being guilted into buying crap at your house. If you want to "get healthy", start eating healthy, unprocessed whole foods.

I love most home parties. Free food please! I also don't feel guilted at all and just enjoy the company :)
  • Options

Yeah saw the video of the look-alike kevin james guy getting all upset and saying his name was Merry Christmas inside Starbucks, "get over it dude."
  • Options
    VitaLuna said:

I HATE at home party type things, hyped up "health fix" brands, "sign up with my link" things, etc. It drives me batty when I get an invite for Pampered Chef, Scentsy, etc and incessant FB updates about how great Isagenix, ItWorks, Shakeology, etc is.

Here's an idea... if you want to have a "girls night", let's head to a coffee shop instead if being guilted into buying crap at your house. If you want to "get healthy", start eating healthy, unprocessed whole foods.

I'm so tired of getting the "it works" friend requests on fb and ig, its been on a daily basis lately
  • Options
    @VitaLuna I'm not into the health products or shakes or nails or any of that . But there a couple things that have been useful; they're like people's personal shops but for some reason they don't use etsy. My friend has a page for her "ears" and she started making infant Disney themed ears. We are doing a collection of ears for the baby so it's useful to me!! :smile:
    But yeah . My aunt is a crazy plexus lady and I bought a trial pack just to say I didn't like it so she would chill. I love the woman to death but I'm not into it and I definitely don't need the weight loss part of it.

I really like scentsy at home parties though. It smells so goooooooood :heart: I never buy anything, but everyone I know knows I just come there to sniff and eat
  • Options
    @mamacastro I ALWAYS accept them and then I comment on their posts about "scam! It doesn't work! Mine never came!!!" And they all delete me and tell their friends not to add me. :smile: it's a good system!
  • Options
    cognity8cognity8 member
    edited November 2015
    My mom passed two weeks ago and I really want to get a small tattoo on my arm of her thumbprint and Love Mom in her handwriting. I'm sure I could wait until after baby but I also want to breastfeeding if possible and it just seems if I don't do it now I might not ever do it. I've really evaluated the risks and of course have a very reputable tattoo parlor picked that's highly recommended but ugh... So I guess my unpopular opinion is that I might do it against my own opinion of it being too risky.

Edited for posting before done.
  • Options
    cognity8 said:

My mom passed two weeks ago and I really want to get a small tattoo on my arm of her thumbprint and Love Mom in her handwriting. I'm sure I could wait until after baby but I also want to breastfeeding if possible and it just seems if I don't do it now I might not ever do it. I've really evaluated the risks and of course have a very reputable tattoo parlor picked that's highly recommended but ugh... So I guess my unpopular opinion is that I might do it against my own opinion of it being too risky.

I'd advise against while pregnant because it takes longer to heal, heals funny, the risk of it getting infected is higher just because you're comprised (especially dealing with grief on top of pregnancy). It's safer to wait until after baby
  • Options
    As long as you're in a clean reputable place I find the risks associated with tattoos and breastfeeding to be minimal.
  • Options
    cognity8 said:

I'm sorry about your mom. It definitely is NOT worth the risk, though, and no reputable place should be tattooing a pregnant woman!

You won't be pregnant forever. It's foolish and selfish to put your unborn child potentially at risk because you don't want to wait a couple more months. Etsy has a lot of great customizable jewelry in the meantime to help commemorate your mom.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    cognity8 said:

I understand this 100% as far as wanting the tattoo now and not waiting. I can't imagine the pain you feel losing your mother though. My grandma is on her deathbed and has pancreatic cancer, she has a tweety tattoo on her ankle and has always loved him. I wanted to get this (the image) but in purple for her type of cancer instead of the blue, so she could see it before she goes but there a bun in my oven and that just makes it hard. I would really suggest waiting though. Your hormones are crazy and it's already hard enough to sleep. This is just some reasons besides the safety and all that. Im sure waiting is hard because you want a piece of her with you, but it just isn't worth it. If you can, maybe bring a shirt of hers or something to comfort you during labor. I was hoping to have this tattoo to look at as a calming thing without her as well, but it just isn't a good option. Stick with your gut.

• Options
    @AdventureMama I was NOT being serious. :sweat_smile: I think Starbucks let it keep going for the media attention but I don't actually think it's a government cover up! DH told me about the video and I just laughed at the coincidental timing and had to make a joke about it. But you know those memes that say "next year Starbucks will use blank cups and give out crayons.." Blah blah blah? I actually really want them to do that. Coffee (well tea for me) and coloring? Great morning!! ETA: I'm not following the whole red cup story becuae I think it is asinine, so I don't know the small details. Just the big storyline that is everywhere.
    Ohhhhh thank goodness. I really thought you were and I was like... uhhh wut. hahaha
    Married 8.5.12
    Caleb born 10.9.13
    2.0 due 2.1.16
  • Options
    VitaLuna said:
    My mom passed two weeks ago and I really want to get a small tattoo on my arm of her thumbprint and Love Mom in her handwriting. I'm sure I could wait until after baby but I also want to breastfeeding if possible and it just seems if I don't do it now I might not ever do it. I've really evaluated the risks and of course have a very reputable tattoo parlor picked that's highly recommended but ugh... So I guess my unpopular opinion is that I might do it against my own opinion of it being too risky. Edited for posting before done.
    I'm sorry about your mom. It definitely is NOT worth the risk, though, and no reputable place should be tattooing a pregnant woman! You won't be pregnant forever. It's foolish and selfish to put your unborn child potentially at risk because you don't want to wait a couple more months. Etsy has a lot of great customizable jewelry in the meantime to help commemorate your mom.
    ^this.

I'm so, so sorry about your mom. That's such a hard loss to handle. But if you're serious about wanting a tattoo forever, waiting a few months to a year really shouldn't be a big deal. Tattoos are permanent, why would waiting make you not get one at all? You may want to reevaluate if you really want this if that's the case for you.
    Married 8.5.12
    Caleb born 10.9.13
    2.0 due 2.1.16
  • Options
    @AdventureMama I'm not THAT crazy.. Yet.
  • Options
    As stated, I'm aware it's an unpopular opinion. It even goes against my own rational opinion. I've researched the risks, I've even talked to several professional tattoo artists and they all advise against it. I get it. No need to take over the thread trying to educate or talk me out of it. I don't even eat lunch meat for crying outloud.

But like I said- I still WANT it. See, my mother was my best friend. She occupied a very large chunk of my heart that is now broken and empty. My husband has to pep talk me out of bed everymorning. Grief and depression are very serious even without being pregnant. When I think of every single milestone in mine and this child's life I can't help but realize my rock won't be there to see it. For some reason this small tattoo makes me feel like she will be closer to me during an event I have always pictured her holding my hand through. Is it superficial? Yes. Is it incredibly irrational? Yes. That's grief for ya. (Plus pregnancy hormones.) I miss her touch, face, and voice sooo much it's hard to remember those things are still a part of me just in my memories... But it doesn't lessen the desire to give it a physical symbol that will be part of me.

Will I get the tattoo while pregnant? Probably not. But I WANT it. I already know justifying spending the money and time on it after baby comes will be hard for me with the medical bills and lessen of maternity leave pay etc.. So it's not that I think I will change my mind or regret it- I just feel I need it now. To be whole. Which we all know a tattoo can't do.

I can't ask or expect any of you to understand because none of you know exactly how I feel. Many of you may be able to relate, but not completely understand. I hope maybe I've clarified so you don't continue to waste your time replying with your reasons why I shouldn't. I'm aware. I know. Thank you for your concerns <3
  • Options
    I thought of another UO. I hate those stupid hoodies with the reflective construction stripes. Unless you're flagging traffic or running at night or something, why are you wearing that? They're so tacky and I can't believe people think of them as fashion.
    Married 8.5.12
    Caleb born 10.9.13
    2.0 due 2.1.16
  • Options
    cognity8 said:

As stated, I'm aware it's an unpopular opinion. It even goes against my own rational opinion. I've researched the risks, I've even talked to several professional tattoo artists and they all advise against it. I get it. No need to take over the thread trying to educate or talk me out of it. I don't even eat lunch meat for crying outloud.

But like I said- I still WANT it. See, my mother was my best friend. She occupied a very large chunk of my heart that is now broken and empty. My husband has to pep talk me out of bed everymorning. Grief and depression are very serious even without being pregnant. When I think of every single milestone in mine and this child's life I can't help but realize my rock won't be there to see it. For some reason this small tattoo makes me feel like she will be closer to me during an event I have always pictured her holding my hand through. Is it superficial? Yes. Is it incredibly irrational? Yes. That's grief for ya. (Plus pregnancy hormones.) I miss her touch, face, and voice sooo much it's hard to remember those things are still a part of me just in my memories... But it doesn't lessen the desire to give it a physical symbol that will be part of me.

Will I get the tattoo while pregnant? Probably not. But I WANT it. I already know justifying spending the money and time on it after baby comes will be hard for me with the medical bills and lessen of maternity leave pay etc.. So it's not that I think I will change my mind or regret it- I just feel I need it now. To be whole. Which we all know a tattoo can't do.

I can't ask or expect any of you to understand because none of you know exactly how I feel. Many of you may be able to relate, but not completely understand. I hope maybe I've clarified so you don't continue to waste your time replying with your reasons why I shouldn't. I'm aware. I know. Thank you for your concerns <3</p>

Huge hugs. This made me cry. I can't say I know what you're going through and I know there really aren't words to make you feel better but...hugs. Sorry if my advice seemed harsh.
    Married 8.5.12
    Caleb born 10.9.13
    2.0 due 2.1.16