Parenting

Great things about having a baby

Hi All,
All I hear from my friends and read is all the bad things 'nobody told you before having a baby' ; how tired and grumpy one gets, how your life is over, how you are fed up, lost, sleep deprived etc. once the baby arrives. So I'm looking for some positive thoughts of why we all do this!
Please tell me about all the reasons why just to balance things out :)

Re: Great things about having a baby

• You will be amazed at how fast they learn and grow. You will be in love with your little one in ways you never thought possible.
  • edited November 2015
    I need this thread because I am tired, grumpy, sleep deprived...! I'm a foster mom so I'm also PMSing. I am thrilled to have our new baby, the sibling of our soon to be adopted toddler. But I just started getting full nights sleep and this baby was one month early. I am a "baby person" but since I still basically have a baby I feel like I'm not into this stage as I usually am. I wouldn't have chosen or been careless enough to have biological kids this close in age!
  • Loading the player...
  • They make you laugh.
  • Being a parent is no joke the hardest job ever!! You will have good days and bad days. I have had moments and continue to have them where I just can't handle anymore and during those moments my boys pick up on the fact that I have had enough and shower me with hugs, kisses and I love yous. I'm not trying to paint parenting as all rainbows and butterflies because it's anything but that. Just remember to do what you think is best and parent to the best of your ability. Your kids will love you unconditionally, even when you mess up.
     Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • You will be amazed at how fast they learn and grow. You will be in love with your little one in ways you never thought possible.
    This is so true! This is how I exactly felt the day my first baby was born. You can't explain how deep your love for your baby is and all you feel is happiness and motivation. I may sometimes forget about myself but that's not a big deal as long my baby is 100% ok. I remember one time, I wanted to buy myself a pair of shoes and few new shirts but I ended buying all for my baby, lol.
  • -They fill a part of you you didnt even know was missing.
    -when they look @ you its as if they are looking @ a Godess.
    -they love you more than anyone & they dont even have to say it you jusy feel it.
    -when they achieve milestones it gives you a great satisfaction.
    -when they get older & tell you they've missed you because theyve been @ school all day.
    -just seeing who they are becoming every year is just great.

Being sleep deprived sucks but it all doesnt matter when you have that beautiful baby in your arms.
  • I have literally had my little infant daughter smile up at me as I cry from being overwhelmed and nothing dries up your tired tears faster. It's so hard. It challenges you in ways you didn't know you could be challenged. I want time to myself but the moment I have it I'm ready to have my baby back in my arms! No one else's love can make you motivated like your child's. 
  • That first gummy smile ❤❤❤
  • Having a kid opens up the world in a way you had no idea it was closed. Parts of yourself that you didn't even know yet. Elements of society and other people that you had no clue about. It will make you see the world differently, more compassionately. Other people are someone else's baby, and you will be able to feel, understand and empathize that point in a completely new way. Strangers will humble you with their kindness. You will have something in common with other parents that will unify you. It is like joining a secret club. Like waking up in a new world. 

All ll the bad stuff that people are sharing with you - they forget that you don't yet know that it doesn't really matter. That it's part of the adventure. It's part of becoming that new version of you that accepts the sleepless nights and the messes and the crying. The joy that is newly yours will be underlying everything, and it will hold you together as you laugh and cry through the frustrations and "bad" stuff.

I'm not one of those people who instantly fell in love with her baby. I'm not one of those people who thinks my kid is perfect or that parenting is always puppies and unicorns. Having a kid tested my marriage and my body and my sanity. But I have all of them in tact, stronger than they ever were before. And there are no words that can describe the experience, truly. It is easier to joke about the "bad" stuff than to give an accurate portrayal of what having a kid is really like. 

Or, to quote an old favorite movie, A League of Their Own: "It's the hard that makes it great."

Don't let people steal your joy. I'm sure they'd be sad to realize that's what's happening. Parents complain as a way to relate to each other. It's part of the fun of being a parent!
  • Having a kid opens up the world in a way you had no idea it was closed. Parts of yourself that you didn't even know yet. Elements of society and other people that you had no clue about. It will make you see the world differently, more compassionately. Other people are someone else's baby, and you will be able to feel, understand and empathize that point in a completely new way. Strangers will humble you with their kindness. You will have something in common with other parents that will unify you. It is like joining a secret club. Like waking up in a new world. 

All ll the bad stuff that people are sharing with you - they forget that you don't yet know that it doesn't really matter. That it's part of the adventure. It's part of becoming that new version of you that accepts the sleepless nights and the messes and the crying. The joy that is newly yours will be underlying everything, and it will hold you together as you laugh and cry through the frustrations and "bad" stuff.

I'm not one of those people who instantly fell in love with her baby. I'm not one of those people who thinks my kid is perfect or that parenting is always puppies and unicorns. Having a kid tested my marriage and my body and my sanity. But I have all of them in tact, stronger than they ever were before. And there are no words that can describe the experience, truly. It is easier to joke about the "bad" stuff than to give an accurate portrayal of what having a kid is really like. 

Or, to quote an old favorite movie, A League of Their Own: "It's the hard that makes it great."

Don't let people steal your joy. I'm sure they'd be sad to realize that's what's happening. Parents complain as a way to relate to each other. It's part of the fun of being a parent!
    Love this a hundred times!