May 2016 Moms

What's everyone buying already?

I'm a ftm and my husband and I want to start buying things already so we don't have to do it all at once but I'm a little lost. I don't want to buy the bigger items yet but I know there's a lot of little things that are needed. What kind of things are people buying this early on in their pregnancy? I'm 15w and don't know the gender yet either. Thanks ladies!!

Best Answers

• Loading the player...
  • CharissadeatsCharissadeats member
    Answer ✓
    Having my NT scan and results read back to us from bloodworks next week.

After which, if all goes well (hold thumbs), we'll start working from the list I made.

Not planning on buying clothes and diapers at first, as all the family and friends already made their own shopping lists for baby and me (cute).

The bigger stuff, like cot, pram, car seat, compactum etc will have to come from our own pocket - so we'll gradually work down the list!

Answers

• Wow you guys are way more prepared than we are lol. My doctor won't do a gender ultrasound till I'm 20 weeks, did you get one done on your own or does your doctor do them this early?
  • Nothing yet! Getting the crib after Thanksgiving.
  • We bought our crib. I'll probably buy the travel system in the next week or so. Everything else I'll wait on. Next will be getting the nursery set up.
  • I've only bought a nursery chair so far.
  • doozer1345doozer1345 member
    edited November 2015
    Diapers and anything I see on sale that I have in my registry. With my first pg I was buying a huge box of diapers and wipes at 15 weeks. I was also saving up for maternity pics (the lady I have do them is pricey but worth it). I was also buying books. I had my eye out for things like towels, baby lotion, baby wash, baby bath...Things I didn't necessarily need to know the sex to get.

ETA: I had also gotten my glider and matching ottoman... OMg I love that thing!
    Been married since 2009.
    Unicornuate Uterus (yes I menstruate glitter)
    Several MCs
    DD born 2013 (our miracle "you can't have babies" baby!)

• Nada! Poor second child. Plus we found out we are having another girl so now I don't have much to buy at all.
    #1 Claire 12.17.13 & #2 EDD 5.11.16

• I'm not really buying much until we get past 20 weeks. I really enjoyed shopping and registering later on with our first, so I'll likely wait again. We already have our stash of cloth diapers. If it's a boy I'll add a few more boyish ones but otherwise my stash is HUGE already. We are trying to be more minimalistic with this kid. We have a stroller we love, and a crib mattress. Baby stuff consumed our house last time and some stuff really was more in the way than used. We do have some newborn clothes that are gender neutral, are brand new, and saved from our first. Otherwise we really just need a crib and a car seat. I might splurge on a newborn soft carrier since I have a Boba for when the baby is bigger already....oh and a bouncy seat....lol. It already sounds like too much stuff!!!
    Siggy Challenge - Summer Movie Scenes

• I've bought a britax stroller and car seat at Target already because it was $100 off (plus 5% more off with my red card) other than that, I've just bought some clothes, and crib bedding since it was 20% off.
  • It is my third and I sold everything after my second b/c I thought we were done..luckily most of my friends are done having kids too ( I am 35) so I am getting a ton of hand me downs! We will buy a new carseat for the kiddo but the rest will be givien. We have a crib, our three old sleeps in it as a toddler bed so we will move him to a twin and make it a crib again. I just know I need a way less stuff than I had with my first.
  • We have our announcement onesie and a set of booties (also for the announcement). A pack of pacifiers and teething rings (that my uncle gave us at our wedding as a funny gift). 

We probably won't buy furniture until January and we will wait until after the baby showers to assess what else we need. 

And I need to get off my lazy butt and get the room cleared out before we do any of this...
  • We bought our infant car seats. Got them from a friend for 150 for both seats. They were the type that had both one for childcare one for home but never ended up using much since they had convertible ones in everyones car. They are chicco keyfit 30 which is the brand i wanted just less than half the cost if i had bought both brand new.

My mom has however gotten 4 packs of blue green or white nb size onsies and 2 packs of green 0-3 month size. 2 4 packs of bibs and a bunch of swaddling blankets (stretchy organic cotton ones i love) she also told us our chistmas present which is city select stroller with double seat kit and if we can find it used for cheaper she is giving us the cash difference for other things we need.

For the mother that reacted to me being pregnant with twins by looks of disgust like i chose to throw two eggs she is being so wonderful and supportive. She loves kids but my pregnancy with my son was so rough that im sure she had a certain level of fear. 24 hrs later and she started purchasing and plotting with me.
  • Nothing yet. Kind of glad we most likely won't know sex until after Christmas, because if anyone wants to get us gifts for baby (our parents are all divorced and mostly remarried, so our kid(s) have 7 grandparents!) they will get more practical items (carrier/bouncer/etc) rather than just boy or girl clothes. Second baby, so no shower here, but we're broke from stuff for my sister's wedding and Christmas presents for our massive family and paying for my trip to Mexico next month, so we'll probably start buying stuff next year or maybe Black Friday/Cyber Monday sales.

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker

BFP 1: 9/15/2013 | DD 5/23/2014
    BFP 2: 9/15/2015 | EDD 5/26/2016

• Our first is due May 8th, 2016 and we haven't bought one thing. We've had too many things come up in the last couple months (of course, as soon as I find out I'm pregnant, we start having so many little issues with our cars that is depleting our savings!). Even if it wasn't for a series of unfortunate events, the only thing I probably would have bought is cloth diapers.
  • I'm moving next year end of Feb, so I am trying to hold off on most things until then, it'll just cause extra work and moving more stuff. 

• We haven't bought anything yet but if there are good Cyber Monday sales I'll pick up some gender neutral items like a car seat. I'm mostly planning to shop at consignment stores after we find out the sex (on New Years Eve!).
  • Nothing so far (I'm 13w). Once we know the sex we'll probably buy a cute outfit.

At this point with our first we had already bought and assembled the crib. We didn't buy anything again until the 20w mark or so.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Just a few random pieces of clothing and bibs so far, and a couple of books. I try to buy a new book every time we are at TJMaxx since they have a great selection. I know what crib and changing table I want, and my mom will be getting us that in February. Registry will be done 12/30 (anatomy scan on 12/29 so waiting to know the sex before really starting!). I don't plan on buying too much until April, after my shower.

cat fail animated GIF

• Nothing yet, but I have been looking at paint samples for the nursery. I'm thinking that's the first thing I'll officially do is paint the nursery.
  • We bought the  convertible crib & mattress. Practically brand new for $100 and it was the exact crib that I wanted. SCORE :) Because we found out yesterday that we are having a girl, we are going to do our registry this weekend so it is set up for Black Friday/ Christmas shopping. Ive bought a couple little things but Im more excited to decorate the nursery. 
  • Already bought a crib and dresser/changing table. Just because we were at IKEA and it was convenient to just get it while we were there. Also, I don't think IKEA does registries :)
    *Siggy Warning*
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

• A friend of mine just gave me a ton of things and then sold me a baby bjorn that she barely used and some nursing cover ups that double as cute scarves. Also a bath seat. I think we will start with the nursery next week and I'll be 14 weeks then.

Also, what's some opinions on if a pregnant woman can paint? Is this safe? Obviously I know it should be ventilated. Just wanted to see if others have or plan to paint.
  • kp90 said:

A friend of mine just gave me a ton of things and then sold me a baby bjorn that she barely used and some nursing cover ups that double as cute scarves. Also a bath seat. I think we will start with the nursery next week and I'll be 14 weeks then.

Also, what's some opinions on if a pregnant woman can paint? Is this safe? Obviously I know it should be ventilated. Just wanted to see if others have or plan to paint.

Ventilate the area, wear gloves and a nose/mouth mask and you should be fine. The main issues with painting are the formaldehyde and VOCs.
  • I'm a FTM. All I've done is buy a baby elephant rattle. (Moment of weakness, and I needed to buy something for my baby first!)
    I'm the last in my family to have a baby, and the only one to have a baby in my husband's. We just told our families over the last weekend.
    I've been offered anything/everything from my sister who had the baby last, and a cradle from one of my other sisters. Another sister is already starting on a baby blanket.
    The husband's family is still processing. They've literally haven't had a child since my husband was one. (His mom was the only one to have children)
    We aren't finding out what we're having, so I'm having a hard time figuring out where to start.
    I have a feeling baby stuff will be all we get for Christmas! And I think that's all we'll get eachother for Christmas as well!
    I'll find out more when I go home for Thanksgiving. I bet we'll go home with a car full!
  • kp90 said:
    A friend of mine just gave me a ton of things and then sold me a baby bjorn that she barely used and some nursing cover ups that double as cute scarves. Also a bath seat. I think we will start with the nursery next week and I'll be 14 weeks then. Also, what's some opinions on if a pregnant woman can paint? Is this safe? Obviously I know it should be ventilated. Just wanted to see if others have or plan to paint.
    My OB said it's fine to paint and that her only concern would be if it made me nauseous to stop. The only thing she told me was to have the room ventilated- which is good I don't think I could stand to wear a mask the entire time I was painting a room they make me too hot. 
  • I bought one pack of plain white onesies. I also saved my spot on a custom bundle of coordinated onesies, bibs, blanket, etc. I know I'll go crazy in a few weeks when we know the sex, but that's it for now!
  • Bought the bedroom set today, including this beautiful crib :)
  • Bought some wipes, some diapers, have collected a few onesies, and the wife of one of my husband's coworkers is selling her Mamaroo for 100 dollars so we are going to be buying that b/c it is one heck of a deal.

First Pregnancy
    • BFP: 01/25/2015
    • EDD: 09/28/2015
    • Incomplete MC: 02/28/2015

Second Pregnancy

• BFP: 09/11/2015
    • EDD: 05/25/2016
    Baby Born
    04/15/2016

PGAL
  • Just some maternity stuff, I'm 13wks tomorrow. So a few bras, a couple comfy shirts from target and a belly belt to extend the life of my pants before I buy maternity jeans etc. I'm not really showing much yet as far as baby stuff we are waiting until after the shower.
  • I am also a FTM and probably won't buy anything until after the 20 week ultrasound. Right now I am going to start talking to friends with kids about brand recommendations for the big items. We will probably buy the big items in the new year and only what we really need because gifts may end up filling in the gaps. I have also been told many times not to buy any clothes because we will end up with more clothes than we need as gifts.
  • kp90 said:
    A friend of mine just gave me a ton of things and then sold me a baby bjorn that she barely used and some nursing cover ups that double as cute scarves. Also a bath seat. I think we will start with the nursery next week and I'll be 14 weeks then. Also, what's some opinions on if a pregnant woman can paint? Is this safe? Obviously I know it should be ventilated. Just wanted to see if others have or plan to paint.
    I painted when I was pregnant with my DD. Also stained all the wood work for the nursery. I just turned on the fans and opened all the windows (we heat with wood so I made the house very warm before doing so as it was winter in Maine). As we are selling this house, I have more painting to do this pregnancy. I have a little bit of spray painting to do. For that I'll do a mask. For for the wall paint, I do not. There are so many low VOC options now, as long as there is ventilation, I'm not concerned.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Married: 1/2008 ~ DD#1: 3/2012
    TTC #2: Started 4/2014       BFP 7/30/15   MC 8/3/15       BFP 9/4/2015   EDD 5/16/2016

• I did buy a swaddle wrap and a swaddle blanket. They were in a pattern I would have used regardless of sex, and there was only one left of each.  But nothing else.  Right now is just not an ideal time to be buying, so I'll probably wait until April to get the rest.