June 2016 Moms
Options

Struggling with Exhaustion

I'm currently 9 weeks pregnant and I have been struggling with dealing with how tired I am. No matter how much sleep I've been getting I'm still drained. I've been eating healthily and regularly. Taking supplements to help every morning. I'm not sure what else to try? :(

It's been making work very difficult to cope with (I work as a waitress in a cafe), I'm finding myself feeling so drained that I'm getting visibly grumpy, I get flustered and confused and unable to focus because of it, which makes busy periods at work in a short staffed place highly difficult. I need the hours at work but working all day is exhausting me and draining me, I keep napping and sleeping and just feeling crappy. Even had a cry when I got home after taking my tiredness out on my partner because I'm just feeling awful.

Any ladies have any advice on what I could do?
I keep getting told "you've only got about 3 weeks left until you should feel better!" but that seems like such a long time to deal with it
Any help would be great!

Re: Struggling with Exhaustion

• Options
    I don't know what to tell you other than it's normal, I feel for you, and I completely understand. I think many of us here, if not all, are struggling with this in some way, shape or form. I work full time, with an hour commute each way. I'm out the door by 5:30 am and home around 6 pm. I can't really nap during the day (I did sneak off for a 30 minute nap a couple of weeks ago), so I'm asleep on the couch by 7:30 most nights. 

The only things I might suggest are trying to keep up a healthy diet with nutrient dense foods, drinking lots of water and getting in some exercise. All of those things help, but not as much as I'd like. Other than that, it may just be a waiting game. From what I've heard, the second trimester gets better. 

Hang in there!
  • Options
    Same here! Out the door by 6:30 am and generally home between 5:30 and 6. I am exhausted. I jut keep taking my prenatals and nap when I can. Dishes can wait, laundry can wait, etc.

I do go nap in my car or office on my lunch break some days. Then I have my daily caffeine allotment after that. I tried to quit it cold turkey but I just can't function. Doc says I can have up to 2 cups a day so I am having one.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I second the afternoon cup of coffee. It is sometimes the only thing that keeps me awake until 7:30pm!!

I promise it gets better.  Hang in there.

Also - avoid the comfy couch.  I know when I sit down after work I struggle to get back up ;)
    Married: June 25, 2011
    DS #1: Born September 29, 2013
    Baby #2: Due June 3, 2016

DST T4L

• Options
    There is no tired in the world like first trimester tired. Not even new baby up every hour tired is this bad. I can't make it better but I promise it will never be this bad again (until you have another baby!)
  • Options
    Rosehip15Rosehip15 member
    edited November 2015
    It sucks, but it's normal.  The only thing close is like trying to wake up from general anesthesia after surgery...do that for 2 months. But this WILL end.  I swear.  Drop everything that's not absolutely essential - you never really appreciated how many times you could re-wear socks before washing them until you made it through a first trimester.  Oh, and I've been drinking Coke - I absolutely never drink soda, but I consider the first trimester a state of emergency, so you do what you gotta do...
  • Options
    I can't tell you how much I feel your pain! My exhaustion boarders on narcolepsy. Sometimes I even have felt unsafe driving! No amount of rest is sufficient & I'm out cold my 8pm at the LATEST..... Only to be woken every night at 1ish with heartburn. Yay! Then while I'm awake I figure why not lay & wonder/worry about what the near future will be like for 2-3more hours:)
    ...the thought of working out at this point in the game is just adorable & hilarious.

All I can offer is my commiseration - hang in there @jp1992
  • Options
    I have been napping like a freaking toddler, nap around lunch time, nap when I get home, in bed by 9. Fortunately I work in an environment where napping on your desk isn't particularly frowned upon as long as you are getting your stuff done. Seeing as my boss is in the loop, she has been super awesome about it too. Benefits of a boss whose former boss gave her 5 months of work from home part time leave (paid) after being there for only a few months because her newborn was sick.
  • Options
    No solutions here -- just empathy.

CafeMom Tickers

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I wish I had solutions to offer, but just empathy. I'm a teacher and am on my feet all day too. I can't get up once I get home. DH had been doing an the cooking and cleaning. I feel like a lazy lump not helping, but I don't have an ounce of energy left. I just hope it ends soon like everyone says. I too can't handle 3 more weeks of this :( I feel like I can't do my job well right now and add on to of that people asking me to help with this and that, I just can't handle it.
  • Options
    I also have no solutions for you but have endless empathy. I've never felt anything like this in my life. I've laid down on the floor in my office several times today.
  • Options
    You are not alone- I cried getting ready for work last week because I just couldn't see myself getting though the day.

@auntieembabes - you have no idea how helpful your words are. I have been getting so down on myself thinking about how I won't possibly be able to handle a newborn if I feel this way now. So thank you for your words- they really did help me
  • Options
    Here are the solutions that helped with my last pregnancy, im struggling wat more this go around but they help a little.
    1.) When you start feeling tired drink a few sips of caffeine. It only takes a little to get the effects and you can drink it more often.
    2.) eat a piece of cheese inbetween meals. If tummy lets you tolerate it it will give you a small boost
    3.) if your not diabetic eat a hand full of grapes they have the most bang for you buck of healthy sugars. As do raisins but they usually are coated in brown sugar also. Your choice.
    4.) and when you are desparet (like i am driving home.after a 13 hr shift ) hold your breath as long as you can (with in reason ) and let it out as slowly as you can. It raises your heart rate and helps wake you up for a little bit.

I have also been told drinking ice cold beverages will also wake you up byut i have sensitive teeth and cant.
  • Options
    I sincerely didn't know that most women experience tiredness until 12 weeks! This is my fourth baby and according to my journal, the exaustion wore off between the 8th and 9th week during my first three pregnancies. But with this baby I felt so tired that I felt in a haze most of the time. It just ended, at the start of week 10. All of a sudden I felt some motivation. I made a grocery list, I actually prepared meals, I played with my kids instead of making them entertain themselves. I feel great now! I think there's a possibility that you'll start to feel better before week 12. Has anyone been like me and started better sooner than 12 weeks?
  • Options
    mandab8s said:

You are not alone- I cried getting ready for work last week because I just couldn't see myself getting though the day.

@auntieembabes - you have no idea how helpful your words are. I have been getting so down on myself thinking about how I won't possibly be able to handle a newborn if I feel this way now. So thank you for your words- they really did help me

I promise you can do it, not only that, you'll be awesome at it. Newborns sleep a ton during the day, nap then if you can. Plus family and friends will want to come over to see him/her, as soon as they pick the baby up- go shower or nap. Take advantage of all the fuss over the baby in the first few months.
    Is it easy? No. Will you feel like you're losing your mind in the middle of the night? Hell yes. Know when to tap out and have your significant other take a turn.
    It's amazing what you can deal with when there is no choice too. I'm 11 weeks and I do in home daycare. I've got my 16 month old, an 18 month old, and a 6 month old. Its crazy as hell but we're making it work, I've got no idea how I'll deal with it at 9 months along but we'll make it.
  • Options
    I cried getting ready for work the other day too because I was exhausted. So I called in sick and napped the whole day. Absolutely worth it.
  • Options

There is no tired in the world like first trimester tired. Not even new baby up every hour tired is this bad. I can't make it better but I promise it will never be this bad again (until you have another baby!)

Agreed! Good golly, I've forgotten how bad 1st tri exhaustion is. Baby is a breeze compared to this.
    BFP 5/2/11 DS born 1/19/12. 
    BFP #2 12/29/12, EDD 9/6/13, MC 1/2/13.
    BFP #3 5/4/13, EDD 1/9/14  Twin Boys! L&L born 12/18/13
    BFP #4 10/10/15 - Surprise!  Boy #4!.  EDD 6/19/16

• Options
    Poor thing! I work retail and I am also on my feet dealing with customers all day. The best advice I can offer is drink water all day long, and have a cup of coffee in the afternoon if you are working a late shift. Make sure you eat something every couple of hours. I've been stashing bananas, string cheese and goldfish crackers in my purse at work. 

Have you been sleeping at night? I was having trouble staying asleep (despite being completely wiped out all day) which made my fatigue and crankiness worse at work. My midwife suggested Unisom to stay asleep and I feel much better for it, not exactly energetic but better. 

Let the dishes pile up and ask your partner take over some of the household chores. And shower at night if you have an early shift. Embrace dry shampoo! I hope you start feeling better soon :) 
  • Options
    I love all the suggestions and support on this thread! I feel your pain too. My kids wake me up at least 5 times every night in the 7 hours that I attempt to sleep. I keep telling myself it's probably just a phase, but coupled with my pregnancy exhaustion, it's really starting to drag me down!

Agree with others that it's important to eat because it's amazing how much more wiped I feel when I don't eat enough. And my normal coffee has been hard to stomach, but I really have to have some caffeine to survive, so today I treated myself to a Chestnut Praline Latte from Starbucks and at lunch I sometimes get a frozen Mountain Dew Baja Blast from Taco Bell (I know that's probably terrible, but I love it!). I don't remember feeling quite this tired with my other two, but I guess the more kids you have, the harder it gets! Or the more memories you block out! Good luck!
    DS1 5-18-2012
    DS2 5-18-2014
    DD1 EDD 6-21-2016

babysizercom pregnancy ticker
  • Options
    @June2016Baby- With DD, my exhaustion wore off before 12 weeks.  

I'm 9 weeks now and I don't see an end in sight.  After I get her down at 7 pm, I fall out sometime shortly there after.  It's ridiculous!  I want to take a pre-natal pilates class again.  However, I feel like DD should get all of the energy I can spare.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BabyFruit Ticker

Special prayers for angels that we never met!
  • Options
    Thank all of you for your kind words! 

I've been feeling it a lot worse this week and we had the busiest day in a long time at work while being understaffed and I was the only person running about like mad. Felt like I was going to faint. I woke up crying the next day because my body felt so weak. Went into work regardless and started crying wondering how I was going to make it through the day. Had to take the day off today (from advice from my co-workers that are mummys already) to rest up and cried a few times because I feel useless when my body feels this weak :(

I'm hoping I start picking my energy up soon. Work is letting me do more stationary work (making coffees etc) which is great.
    I've been trying to make sure I eat regularly whenever I can, it's hard when you're off so many foods and have no appetite for any food (apart from tinned ravioli...that's something I hadn't had in years and I am suddenly loving it). 

taylor1987 I've been managing to sleep through the whole night (usually 9 hours) but it never feels like enough and there's usually an extra nap in there somewhere as well. I've been having my showers in the morning to allow me to try and wake up, usually just to wash my body as I'm trying to not wash my hair as much, it helps....sometimes until I want to throw up in the shower! 

Thank you all again for your messages and it's good to see it's normal, but also not good all of us ladies are experiencing this! Hopefully it all settles for all of us fairly soon!

• Options
    seconding all of the tiredness.