November 2015 Moms

Medicated or Unmedicated birth

2»

Re: Medicated or Unmedicated birth

• Loading the player...
  • lulamagoolulamagoo member
    edited November 2015
    @tc27 getting labor advice from someone who has never experienced it is on par with someone giving parenting advice who has never been a parent.
    I wish you the best of luck with your labor but please don't EVER judge someone's decision on how they will choose to manage the pain. It is personal. And quite frankly labor and delivery is a very minor part of becoming a parent. The rest of the child's life is what truly matters, not how they were delivered.

Edit because I forgot a word
    Baby Boy born on 1/14/13
  • Didn't this person start a thread with all this nonsense a few hours ago? Looks like it got taken down since.
  • I just can't today with people's stupidity. Seriously just go. Your not welcome with that sanctimommy crap.
  • For the OP as someone who just went through an unplanned unmedicated birth (I wanted an epidural but was to far along to get one) the only advice I can give is do some research on techniques. I wish I would have at least looked at some. There are lots of ways that births can go the unplanned route. Sometimes you just gotta roll with it.

@tc27 just shame on you! You have no right to judge anyone on their decisions.
    image BabyFruit Ticker VOTE on my Name List
  • Pontot31Pontot31 member
    edited November 2015
    They did @logarithm3. It was deleted pretty quickly. Not sure why this post was allowed to stay up.
  • Either that or she's here to sell something :)
  • @tc27 I was induced and at 7cm I too was still able to email my sister and friends. It's a whole different ball game when you get to transition so I wouldn't be too quick to crow or you'll be eating crow at 10cm, mark my words.
  • Epidural is the best thing to ever happen to me. Just saying!! In labor right now and 2 hours ago I could have passed out from the pain (going on hour 29 of labor). Got the epidural, took a nap, and I'm a new woman. All I need is some food (and this stubborn baby to make his way down!!).

Married DH December 2014
    Expecting DS#1 November 2015
  • Trolly troll is trolly.
    If not you need to chill the eff out!
  • I was induced and got the epidural right away at 3cm, I couldn't really move around but I could sit up or lay back or whatever, I had my iPad and my family was there and we talked and played games and it was a really easy and enjoyable expierience. When it came time to push I would push when I felt my belly tighten. I still felt giving birth though in a sense, I felt a "pop" sensation when my daughters head came out which was really cool to me cause I thought I wouldn't be able to tell or know at all and I was glad I did. I was a little scared the epidural was going to hurt by it didn't, I felt the tiniest pinch ever. I felt getting the IV in more than I did the epidural.
    Anyway, for me, medicated is the way to go.
  • Watch The Business of Being Born;) I found it to be very helpful when considering medicated or unmedicated birth. You can find it on YouTube and Netflix
  • awhip20 said:
    Watch The Business of Being Born;) I found it to be very helpful when considering medicated or unmedicated birth. You can find it on YouTube and Netflix

I found this very helpful too! The information on the risks of medical intervention are extremely necessary to know before making a decision (unless there is medical need, of course). The one thing I would say is I felt that they made too many generalizations about hospital births. It made me feel like It was impossible to give birth the way you wanted in one. It could be that things have changed recently, but in my area we have hospital midwives, hospital waterbirth and they encourage rooming in and breast feeding. The hospital and doctor I chose is completely open to letting me go med free.
  • awhip20 said:

Watch The Business of Being Born;) I found it to be very helpful when considering medicated or unmedicated birth. You can find it on YouTube and Netflix

watching that is what made me consider it!

• awhip20 said:

I found this very helpful too! The information on the risks of medical intervention are extremely necessary to know before making a decision (unless there is medical need, of course). The one thing I would say is I felt that they made too many generalizations about hospital births. It made me feel like It was impossible to give birth the way you wanted in one. It could be that things have changed recently, but in my area we have hospital midwives, hospital waterbirth and they encourage rooming in and breast feeding. The hospital and doctor I chose is completely open to letting me go med free.

This! I found the movie somewhat helpful, but it also gave me some anxiety about having a hospital birth, but it was too late to go another route (also, no birthing centers around me). My hospital, nurses, OB, everyone really were COMPLETELY on board with what I wanted to do, they never once pushed pitocin, epi, pain management, but asked me what I wanted at every step of the way. Being a first time mom and in the middle of it, often I would answer "I don't know" when they would ask what I needed, and they would help me feel more comfortable with different breathing techniques, laboring positions, when it might be a good time to push. I ended up with no medication, no stitches or tears and a perfectly healthy little girl. 

Point of the story is that those documentaries can be informative, but it's important to keep in mind the agenda of the filmmakers while watching them...

Well said. I enjoyed the business of being born but it does have an agenda and to think otherwise is naive.
    Baby Boy born on 1/14/13
  • I have to say, I've been on the bump since receiving a positive pregnancy test in March, and this has been one of the most helpful threads I've read.

I'm a FTM, I have been researching ways to manage pain unmediated during labor and have been highly skeptical of epidural. My one and only goal is a safe delivery for LO, but if I can do it without medicine, all the better.

Truly appreciate everyone sharing their stories on this thread, it's incredibly motivating.
  • I tried to watch the business of being born, bc so many recommended it, but I honestly made it about 30 min or so before I quit. It was pretty one sided . I like being informed and seeing both sides of issues, but it's hard if the documentary has such an obvious agenda.

Yeeeeah, I agree. I indirectly know the midwife featured (a friend still works for her) and she's been sued so many times. Things aren't always black and white and I definitely think childbirth is too unique to apply blanket statements to. I definitely think that documentary (like most docs) should be taken with a grain of salt.
  • Just remember - documentaries are one sided. This is a very informative one - but NOT the only way to do things. Please listen to your bodies and babies.......be safe!!!

• I wanted to try for an unmedicated birth. I hired a doula and was ready to go. The pain in active labor for me was beyond anything I imagined. My baby came so fast though, I went from a 3 to fully dilated and station 3 in 2hrs. At that point I wanted drugs but it was too late. I was ready for pushing. For me pushing was the easiest part. It burned but it was not painful. I feel like because I was able to feel everything I could push really effectively. This is not to say those who get epidurals have a harder time, just saying this was good for me. I'm glad I had my DH and doula there for support because the birth experience I had was great for me. I think the general rule of thumb is everyone should keep in mind. A birth plan can completely change in a moments notice so we all need to be open minded.
    This times a million. I wanted to try an unmedicated birth and a water birth, but ended up being induced and had to stay in bed on constant monitoring. Just make sure you don't set your mind on anything and accept that things can and quite possibly will stray from your "plan".

I lurk. I snark. I offer sound advice if you're not BSC. You may not like me. I'm okay with it.

• I wanted to try for an unmedicated birth. I hired a doula and was ready to go. The pain in active labor for me was beyond anything I imagined. My baby came so fast though, I went from a 3 to fully dilated and station 3 in 2hrs. At that point I wanted drugs but it was too late. I was ready for pushing.

For me pushing was the easiest part. It burned but it was not painful. I feel like because I was able to feel everything I could push really effectively. This is not to say those who get epidurals have a harder time, just saying this was good for me. I'm glad I had my DH and doula there for support because the birth experience I had was great for me.

I think the general rule of thumb is everyone should keep in mind. A birth plan can completely change in a moments notice so we all need to be open minded.

Out of curiousity, why was pushing the easiest part?
  • I planned to go unmedicated but after 36 hours of pure back labor, I couldn't handle life anymore. Epidural accidentally became a spinal so I still have the needle in my back (the hope is that if I keep it in for 24 hours) I shouldn't get the spinal headache because a scab will have already formed. But during labor, that epidural was amazing. I couldn't get my body to calm down enough during contractions so the first 4 cm took 36 hours, then after the epidural I was fully dilated in another 6. Thanks to feeling absolutely nothing I was able to labor down for another 2.5 hours. Epidural wore off right before pushing so I felt everything (I actually demanded my nurses get in here NOW because I needed to push because the back labor was returning and I was so ready thanks to all the laboring down). I did need an episiotomy because otherwise I was going to rip the wrong way - a cut was a much better option because as soon as she gave me a tiny snip he flew out.

I'm really glad I didn't have a set plan going into labor because it definitely was not a plan I would have written. But our son was born and in the end that's all I care about!