February 2016 Moms

short mamas unite!

There have been many posts where some have referenced being short. Let's all come together to share the good, bad, and ugly of being short and pregnant! I will say, if one more person asks me if I am sure I'm not having twins, I am going to deck them.
Me - 35   Hubby - 38 
Married 10/2007 
Baby girl - 2/6/16 

Re: short mamas unite!

• I'm starting to have trouble washing my face in my own bathroom sink. It's normal grown up height and with my belly I may need a step stool soon... like for real!

• Twin comment all the time lol. Nope, just one. I've also found that I'll either carry way up super high to where I can't take a deep breath, like with my first. Or I carry so low I feel like someone dropped a larg bowling ball on my pelvis, like with this one. There is no in between lol
  • Loading the player...
  • I'm not crazy short, 5'1 1/2. I'm pregnant with my fourth baby. No one notices I'm pregnant, but my family always ask where I carry my babies . I haven't had any difficulties yet but I do carry some big babies for my size.
  • NOTHING FITS ME. Everything that fits my waist (including maternity clothes) goes about a mile last the end of my legs and I trip constantly. I think I'm going to give up clothes altogether.
    Height : 5'1 for almost 10 years now
  • @thisusername I bought like 5 pairs of maternity pants off a local swap and shop for cheap and just paid to have them all altered. It was like $50 and so worth it to have things that fit!

• I'm 4 ft 9 inches. The struggle to fit behind my steering wheel is starting :((
  • I'm 4'10 and also getting a little too close to the steering wheel. I also struggle with saving my legs. With maternity clothes, I got croped pants at old Navy which fit me perfectly.
    Me - 35   Hubby - 38 
    Married 10/2007 
    Baby girl - 2/6/16 

• Your pregnant, and its fall, no shaving necessary lol
  • That would work if I didn't live in Florida where it feels like summer right now.
    Me - 35   Hubby - 38 
    Married 10/2007 
    Baby girl - 2/6/16 

• That would work if I didn't live in Florida where it feels like summer right now.
    OMG you're telling me. I live in SW Florida. We went to an outside event last weekend and it was 91 freaking degrees! Next weekend we're going to Busch Gardens and I am praying it cools off a bit. I'm dying!

• bbax44bbax44 member
    edited November 2015
    5'0 here! Shaving is becoming an issue, bending over easily to pick something up, I've also had to take off work because I work at a busy coffee/bagel shop and I was too short to reach anything in the first place but now my belly really got in the way of that plus standing on my feet for 6+ hours and the constant bending up and down to get milk and bases, just couldn't even do it anymore! It'll be a challenge to drive here soon!
    Eta I'm also carrying fairly high, so sometimes even breathing is a challenge. Only 3 more months!
  • bauerkjbauerkj member
    edited November 2015
    5'0"...harder to reach over the bathroom and kitchen sinks, having my 4 year old pick up things on the floor and put away dishes in the bottom cupboards, driving my car pimp-style so my ligiment pain is manageable (even if seeing over the dashboard then becomes a challenge), also being mistaken for twins (carrying high again), sitting /lounging even lower in my cubicle at work so my neighbors really can't tell I'm even there...yup, vertically challenged and prego...EMBRACE IT! :)
    Kathy B.
  • 4'10 and I can't get a decent belly shot unless I'm standing on something.
  • 5'0" here too! I carry super high so my ribs are always hurting. Nothing fits either, even the petite sizes are too long. Plus there's just less room to distribute weight gain which is unfortunate!
    Married 8.5.12
    Caleb born 10.9.13
    2.0 due 2.1.16
  • Oh I almost forgot I'm in my last weeks of being able to drive my car. My legs can't reach the pedals if my seat isn't all the way forward, but my belly will definitely not fit behind the wheel much longer. I had this problem last time, too, and I had to stop driving.
    Married 8.5.12
    Caleb born 10.9.13
    2.0 due 2.1.16
  • Driving is the worst part for me! I'm going to try to tilt my steering wheel really high tomorrow and see if that works, if not I may need to switch and drive my husband's truck because it has adjustable pedals.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Oh I almost forgot I'm in my last weeks of being able to drive my car. My legs can't reach the pedals if my seat isn't all the way forward, but my belly will definitely not fit behind the wheel much longer. I had this problem last time, too, and I had to stop driving.

I just keep praying my legs will grow. 2 of my jobs involve a lot of driving and DH doesn't have a license. (He's lazy and we live out of state which he keeps using as an excuse instead of going home and getting it for the third year now...)
  • ChelsRy1 said:

Driving is the worst part for me! I'm going to try to tilt my steering wheel really high tomorrow and see if that works, if not I may need to switch and drive my husband's truck because it has adjustable pedals.

I just fell in love with his truck
  • 5'0 here! Putting on shoes, driving and finding clothes that fit me have been the hardest! Also no more shaving switched to waxing. My bed is a little higher and I'm almost debating a stepping stool to get on it at this point!
  • I'm not too terribly short (5'4") but I have a really hard time putting pants, socks, shoes, etc. on. We also have a raised bes that I find REALLY hard to get in and out of.

Married.....09/08/2012
    Baby F.......02/02/2016
  • 5'0" here too! I carry super high so my ribs are always hurting. Nothing fits either, even the petite sizes are too long. Plus there's just less room to distribute weight gain which is unfortunate!

That's how I carried with my first! So hard to breath! The OB insisted there was no way she was hurting my ribs. I was like oh, well these bruises beg to differ!
  • 5'2" and so far nothing too bad, although I've just started showing in the last month (26 weeks now). I'm worried about not being able to fit behind my steering wheel although I guess I never thought about switching cars with DH. the biggest thing is that I usually climb on/jump up to get things and I can't safely do that anymore. I hate relying on other people for help when I don't have my trusty step stool!
  • I'm 5'2" and never had steering wheel issues, but the breathing thing is hard. With a short torso she feels low and high at the same time. There's nowhere for her to go.

• 5'2" here. Baby's favorite place for his/her feet is already my ribs on the right side. Dont even want to know how that will feel in 3 more months
  • Same complaints as everyone else basically but what irks me the most is pants length. Its such a struggle to find pants that fit. Even some of the short length sizes are too long on me, a couple ankle/cropped size average pants will come down too far how silly is that?
  • I'm 5'3 and have small babies (well I'm predicting since this is only my second, but the first was 6lb 2 oz when born).  But I keep having people ask how far along.  And when I say 6 months, they say "Wow you're so small".  Do you really think my body type could carry an 8lb+ baby???? no possible way!
    Second-time Mommy & OPML 
    M/C (Angel Baby) 10/2011
    AKZ 2/20/2013
    LPZ EDD 2/24/2016
  • stephz44 said:
    I'm 5'3 and have small babies (well I'm predicting since this is only my second, but the first was 6lb 2 oz when born).  But I keep having people ask how far along.  And when I say 6 months, they say "Wow you're so small".  Do you really think my body type could carry an 8lb+ baby???? no possible way!
    This always! I'm also 5'3 and have had the "you're so small" reaction with both of my previous pregnancies. I'm still getting it now and I'm coming up on 28 weeks with twins. In the end I guess it's better than "oh my gosh you're huge!", but it still stings. 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
                    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • 5'2" here. I'm having troubles leaning over kitchen/bathroom sinks. Especially when putting on eye make-up when I need to be pretty close to the mirror. (My heart goes out to those of you who are under 5'.) I am also loving my husband's truck right now.

• @BabySeaTurtles I have to use my kids little bathroom step stool to do anything as my belly clashes with the sink.It's the only way to get me tall enough to see in the mirror up close.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
                    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Thanks @FLsquirrel80 - what a fun post!

I'm 5'2" and having trouble breathing, bending over, and reaching my toes. There have also been a lot of comments about how big I am.

Embarrassingly, I underestimated my belly size the other day when walking through a parking lot. I tried to walk between two cars park close to each other at an awkward angle. I hard to turn sideways to make it past the side view mirrors.  Despite giving sucking it in my best shot, it was pretty clear that I would be stuck. While the rest of my family went through, I had to back out and find another route to the car.... not my finest pregnancy moment.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • 5'0 here! Putting on shoes, driving and finding clothes that fit me have been the hardest! Also no more shaving switched to waxing. My bed is a little higher and I'm almost debating a stepping stool to get on it at this point!

My bed comes up to my Belly button, it's a double rise mattress with a built in memory foam roller and then another memory foam pad on top, so it's talllll. I ordered those "pet steps" to get in and out of bed. Of course if anyone asks I say it's for my Jack Russell. They're carpeted so I don't slip.
  • Is there a way we can adjust the pedals in our cars so we can drive longer? I guess you can order some, but I'm sure they are crazy expensive.
    Me - 35   Hubby - 38 
    Married 10/2007 
    Baby girl - 2/6/16 

My bed comes up to my Belly button, it's a double rise mattress with a built in memory foam roller and then another memory foam pad on top, so it's talllll. I ordered those "pet steps" to get in and out of bed. Of course if anyone asks I say it's for my Jack Russell. They're carpeted so I don't slip.
    What a great idea to use the pet steps haha! We have some for my overweight kitty who never used them. I'm going to pull it out of storage and give it a try. Our bed is almost to my belly button too. Rolling out of bed is quite hilarious.
  • stephz44 said:

I'm 5'3 and have small babies (well I'm predicting since this is only my second, but the first was 6lb 2 oz when born).  But I keep having people ask how far along.  And when I say 6 months, they say "Wow you're so small".  Do you really think my body type could carry an 8lb+ baby???? no possible way!

I'm 3 inches shorter than you and petite as well and I gave birth to a 9lb9oz baby...
    Married 8.5.12
    Caleb born 10.9.13
    2.0 due 2.1.16
  • strlitemissstrlitemiss member
    edited November 2015

stephz44 said:

I'm 3 inches shorter than you and petite as well and I gave birth to a 9lb9oz baby...
    I'm 5 inches short,petite and I carried a 8 pound plus baby over term. Your body was made for this so very possible way. That's a terrible attitude to have. @stephz44 not @AdventureMama huge quote fail.
  • I'm 5'0". Not only am I HUGE because of my short torso, but I'm having trouble reaching the clothes at the bottom of my washer because I have a top loader and my belly gets in the way. The same with hanging clothes on the rack over the washer/dryer. I used to just barely be able to reach. Now my belly hits the washer and doesn't let me get that reach.
  • Same complaints as everyone else basically but what irks me the most is pants length. Its such a struggle to find pants that fit. Even some of the short length sizes are too long on me, a couple ankle/cropped size average pants will come down too far how silly is that?

This. Why is it so hard to find maternity pants in short length?!