February 2016 Moms
Options

How do I tell strangers not to touch my belly without being rude?

I attend a community college and the student body isn't that big. I have a few associates that my boyfriend does not feel comfortable with touching my belly. They would randomly just rub my belly. Should I just tell them that my bf doesn't like when people touch my belly?

Answers

• Options
    ^^^ Yup. Rub their belly and say, "Oh! Is this what we're doing now?". There are also shirts that say things like Hands Off The Bump!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    You should grab their boobs. If it's okay for them to violate your space, you should be able to grab theirs.
  • Options
    Good question! It is really awkward when people touch your belly and you don't want them to. Looking forward to hearing others' responses so we can all learn new strategies to avoid this annoying pregnancy challenge.

I wish I was more assertive bc there is absolutely nothing wrong saying directly "please don't touch me" but sometimes it's just hard to. We feel bad or rude and we shouldn't!

I have tried two different approaches and both kinda work... First. Say "oh please don't touch I'm tickleish and quickly move away" (usually they get the hint) ....second. Kinda weird but has worked too...say in a funny voice and with a funny face "NO TOUCH" with a finger wagging. They usually don't try again after that. But really if I could encourage you, just say directly "please don't" bc you (we all ) don't deserve to feel uncomfortable and don't owe anyone "an apology" for us not wanting their grubby hands on us.
  • Options
    I don't think it's rude to express concern with having your personal space invaded. If these are people you're familiar with you could just say "I'm not comfortable with my stomach being touched" or "please don't touch my stomach". It's a polite request and gets the point across I think.
  • Options
    mckloughmcklough member
    edited October 2015

from what you wrote are there certain people at school that you DO allow to touch your belly, but not others? I can see where that would be confusing. I'm a weirdo and if I saw someone else touching a belly to feel kicks or something I would probably want to join right in. (of course now I'd probably react differently after seeing how most people feel about the touching). Maybe it would be better to make a blanket "don't touch me in public rule" because that would probably cut down on it a lot.

It may have just been a choice of words that don't mean anything but you said that your boyfriend doesn't like certain people to touch you. Shouldn't that be up to you and not him?

ETA: I forgot to say that I would probably say "I'd rather you wait until I invited you to feel my belly" You may never invite them but it shows that they always have to get permission from someone before touching them.

*Kate*

February 2016

• Options
    Isn't it rude that they are doing it without bothering to ask first?
  • Options

I attend a community college and the student body isn't that big. I have a few associates that my boyfriend does not feel comfortable with touching my belly. They would randomly just rub my belly. Should I just tell them that my bf doesn't like when people touch my belly?

Smack them back.... That's the only thing I have.

I set pretty good boundaries with dd so I hopefully wont have any issues this time but I usually back up away from them and make a face like I'm disgusted and annoyed by them because it's always someone I wouldn't even want I touch my arm!

Good luck
  • Options
    Just tell them "If you didn't put it there, don't touch it". Better yet get a shirt that says it!
  • Options
    My curling over like a cat to get my bump out of reach usually does that trick. Then I just say I'm really not comfortable with the whole "belly rub thing".
    Praying this is our take home baby. STICK TURKEY Mommy will miss you everyday my beautiful angel. We love you Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers M/C on 1/05/11 at 11 weeks.
  • Options
    Since I'm still not showing a ton, I just tell people, that's not the baby, that's just me. They usually don't want to touch me after that lol
  • Options
    I honestly wouldn't worry about being rude. If it bothers you, just tell them you don't want them rubbing you. 

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBabysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker
  • Options
    I would say they'd have to buy me dinner first because baby boy is lower than where they'd be rubbing.

I wouldn't really care about being rude as they are also being rude by touching you
  • Options
    I'd just punch them. That's not rude, right?
  • Options
    "Please don't rub my stomach."

Just because you're pregnant doesn't mean it's all of a sudden okay to violate your personal space. They wouldn't do that to someone who's not pregnant. So there's no reason for them to do it to someone who is.
  • Options

"Please don't rub my stomach."

Just because you're pregnant doesn't mean it's all of a sudden okay to violate your personal space. They wouldn't do that to someone who's not pregnant. So there's no reason for them to do it to someone who is.

This. I often have the feeling that if men were the ones who carried the babies people wouldn't be as comfortable touching them without an invitation. BUT since we're women and our bodies are public domain, people feel like it's open season.
    Durham, NC
    EDD: 2/20/2016

• Options
    Agree with PPs. "Please don't touch my belly" sums it up.
    *E 10/2012, H 7/2014, F 2/2016*
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    I agree with @Achae because I am confused. Are you bothered by it, or your boyfriend? If you aren't and/or are letting others, that could be quite confusing. If it bothers you I would definitely just let people know "Please don't, it feels kind of weird when others touch my belly." People don't take too much offense to it, from what I have seen. But for me personally, I have only had people ask me about touching before they did, except my boss which was uncomfortable.
  • Options
    Fortunately I haven't had random people coming up to me to rub my belly. But I'd have no problem telling them "Please don't do that". Even pre pregnancy I've always hated for people to touch me... it makes me uncomfortable. So what I've said in the past is just simply "I'm not comfortable with that" or "that makes me uncomfortable". That way people know I'm not being rude it's just that I feel violated. Just remember, it's your body and it's your baby. Just because people are intrigued by the bump doesn't mean you have to allow them access to touch it. And if it does come out rude oh well! Touching someone, pregnant or not, without invitation is rude!
  • Options
    If you are uncomfortable with strangers touching your belly, u have every right to refuse the contact. U dont need to use ur boyfriend's feelings to validate yours. If u do this, you are telling ppl that you cant feel a certain way without his permission.

And of course, it is rude of strangers to touch you without your consent. Therefore, u should not feel like you're being rude if u tell them to stop. Be ur own person.

Isabella & Julian & and now #3!
  • Options
    If your friends and coworkers are cheap like mine, this shirt might work! The people I know wouldn't spend a penny! =))
  • Options
    Sorry, more shirt spam. This one is better! (Yes I just bought this)
  • Options
    I yelled "No Touching" (from the Arrested Development jail scenes) the other day. That seemed to work well!
  • Options
    It's a constant struggle of mine because I'm a high school teacher and if I walk down a hallway they all want to rub my belly. I constantly say stop or don't touch.
  • Options
    It's simple.

You need to cultivate a strong resting bitch face game. Nobody will come near you. ;)
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    @MusicalFamily so weird to hear because back at my high school kids were scared of the pregnancy bellies. Our teacher would feel a kick or something and go "ooh!" And grab her stomach, and everyone would flock to the back of the room like she had a gun. Her daughter just turned 7 today actually!..
  • Options
    I am sorry, but this thread is so weird to me. Just say, "Please stop touching me." It seems incredibly straightforward.