Baby Names
Options

Naming our daughter after my dad

Just looking for a little advice on naming my little girl due next month.  We had decided to name her Emily Ryan (my middle name is Ryan and I love it), however my dad just passed away last week and we'd love to incorporate his name somehow.  His name was Charles.

So what are your thoughts on Emily Charlie Ryan or should we just go with Emily Charlie.

Our last name is short and starts with a W.  Any help is appreciated.  Thanks!

Re: Naming our daughter after my dad

• Options

Charlotte is the female version of Charles.  Charlize also works.

I don't personally care for Charlie on a girl, though i think it's ok as a NN.  Did your dad actually go by Charlie, or do you just want to use that because it sounds "feminine?"  I also don't care for double middle names generally.  Charlotte Ryan, Charlotte Emily, Charlize Ryan, Charlize Emily, Emily Ryan, Emily Charlotte, Emily Charlize are all options with the names you have listed above.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I would use either Ryan or Charlea as the middle name. If we have a boy we are naming him Charlie but I really dislike this used on girls, plus it has become really trendy to do so.to me it one of the oldest solid masculine names in the book. I think as a middle name to go or your father is beautiful though.
  • Options
    One middle name

• Options
    I'm sorry for your loss. I think Emily Charles sounds the best. I like that you have a masculine middle name and your daughter will too. I think two masculine middle names is too much for a little girl though. I'd drop Ryan.

I also like the idea of Emily Charlotte if you like using a feminine version of his name. I also like the suggestion of Charlotte as a first name with possible mn of Ryan or Emily.

I do not think that Emily Charlie flows well and as I said I prefer Charles but I think meaning trumps flow and if Emily Charlie feels right to you. I'd go for it.

Again, I'm so sorry for your loss.

TTC #1: February 1, 2014
    BFP #1: 2/21/14 EDD: 10/31/14 MMC: discovered 3/31/14 (blighted ovum) D&C: 4/3/14 at 9w6d

BFP #2:12/18/14 EDD: 8/27/14 Beta #1 (16 DPO): 50 Beta #2 (18 DPO): 54 CP: 12/25/14 at 5w0d

Names | Blog | Chart

Formally LisaG09

"Everybody wants to be happy. Nobody wants to feel pain but you can't have a rainbow without the rain."

• Options
    Emily Charlotte
  • Options
    Emily Charlotte
    I second this.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Married: May '15
    M/C: May '15
    Expecting DS: April '16

• Options
    Sorry for your loss.

My vote is for Charlotte Ryan nn Charlie

Emily is blah IMO and the other two names have family meaning. I love family names and this would be a wonderful way to honor your father and pass on your awesome middle name.

***TW****MC mentioned & BFP mentioned***

me 38 DH 39.  
    TTC#1 since July 2014
    AMH 0.1, DOR, Poor responder
    Moved to Prague, Czech Republic for IVF
    2 Natural IVF cycles, 3 full IVF cycles, 4 transfers, 1 BFP - heard heartbeat at 6w5d
    Diagnosed MMC at 9w1d on 11/30/15
    Headed back home to Colorado 12/12/15

DE attempt in Czech Republic!! 

March trip to Prague canceled due to Pancreatitis. :sob:
    Headed to Prague April 30
    3 different donors resulted in 1 PGS tested embryo and 1 fresh embryo
    2 embryo's transferred (from 2 different donors) on 5/10/16
    BFP on 5/15/16 at 5dp5dt
    Beta 1 = 81 at 8dp5dt, Beta 2 = 295 at 10dp5dt, Beta 3 = 891 at 12dt5dt. Beta 4 = 2114 at 14dp5dt, Beta 5 = 4916 at 16dp5dt, Beta 6 = 13252 at 19dp5dt
    Heartbeat at 6w5d 133BPM <3
    We are having a GIRL!!! Due Jan 26, 2017

BabyFruit Ticker

My blog: www.wearethehammitts.blogspot.com

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • Options
    I like Emily Charlotte/Charlene/Charlize best. I'm not a fan of two middle names, so I would save Ryan for your next child's middle name. I prefer Emily Charles over Emily Charlie - I don't care for the two similar sounds at the end, and they are both masculine, so I don't think Charlie makes since unless that's what your dad went by...
  • Options
    Charlotte Ryan nn Charlie... I love it! Charlotte has always been a favorite name of mine.

If you are 100% set on Emily I think Emily Charlotte is nice too.
    Me (31) & DH (32)
    Married 9/27/2014
    DD Born 6/23/16
    Baby #2 Due 3/7/20
  • Options
    I second Charlotte Ryan or Emily Charlotte.
  • Options
    I think Emily Charlie is a wonderful name. The double middle name may be a bit much, however. I also like Emily Charlize, a little more feminine but still recognizes your father.
  • Options
    Emily Charles is lovely. It's different but for a reason! not just trying to be unique but for a beautiful and faithful reason. I think she will appreciate how special it is.

I'm thinking of using James for a middle name regardless of sex for my dad. I don't like Charlie because to me, regardless of sex, is a nickname. I also think unless he was called specifically Charlie it takes some of the reverence out of it.
  • Options
    Sorry for your loss.

I like Emily Charles best, then Charlotte Ryan or Emily Charlotte.
  • Options
    I am so sorry for your loss. I lost my dad when I was pregnant with my first... Another idea--- which may or may not be helpful. (Looks like you have lots of promising suggestions)....

We named my sons middle name after my dad... But instead of using his actual name (Raymond), we named him after a favorite memory with my dad from my childhood. We road on a railroad together when I was young called the "Knox and Kane railroad" so we chose Knox as my sons middle name. That way, he could someday tell people his middle name represents a very special memory between mom and grandpa (instead of "named after my grandpa.. Who passed away...")

But I think that any of the names above are beautiful. Again, praying for your tender heart during this time.
  • Options
    I have two middle names and I love it. Emily Charlie though is too rhymy for my tastes. If you want to honor your father and keep your middle name, how about Charlotte Ryan?

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBabysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker
  • Options
    I don't think Emily Charlie flows very well, and I second the other suggestions of Emily Charles, Emily Charlize and Emily Charlotte.  I wouldn't do 2 middle names.
     Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I don't like Emily Charlie because of the long e endings, and I wouldn't use two mns, especially that are both masculine. I like Emily Charles, Emily Charlotte, or Emily Charlize.
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    I would stick with just one middle name. I personally have two and I just think it's unnecessary. And it would be nice to incorporate your father's name somehow. On that note, though, Charlie on its own is a no go.

Consider names like Charlotte, Charlize, Charlene.

ETA didn't mean to sound rude in the beginning part of my post, I've just never understood the need for 2 middle names.
  • Options
    Love Emily Charlotte!
  • Options
    Thank you for all the suggestions.  I should add my dad went by all the nicknames for Charles possible...Charlie, Chuck, etc.  I do agree I don't like how Emily Charlie sounds and 2 middle names seems like a lot.  My dad came up with my middle name of Ryan.  Do you think that's enough of a tribute as just Emily Ryan?  We had told him the middle name before he died and he was excited about it since he had named me that.

I have 2 younger brothers that are newly married and I'm sure will have kids in the near future that will have a chance to name their kids after my dad as well.

I also think about how my dad would feel about us name a girl after him.  I'm not sure if he would be in favor of that.  I also am not a huge fan of the name Charlotte.  I think it's a very pretty name but I know too many Charlotte's lately.
  • Options
    I think using the mn Ryan would be just fine as he chose that for you. He would probably be just as happy!
  • Options
    nyinnc25 said:
    Thank you for all the suggestions.  I should add my dad went by all the nicknames for Charles possible...Charlie, Chuck, etc.  I do agree I don't like how Emily Charlie sounds and 2 middle names seems like a lot.  My dad came up with my middle name of Ryan.  Do you think that's enough of a tribute as just Emily Ryan?  We had told him the middle name before he died and he was excited about it since he had named me that.

I have 2 younger brothers that are newly married and I'm sure will have kids in the near future that will have a chance to name their kids after my dad as well.

I also think about how my dad would feel about us name a girl after him.  I'm not sure if he would be in favor of that.  I also am not a huge fan of the name Charlotte.  I think it's a very pretty name but I know too many Charlotte's lately.

If he was excited about Emily Ryan before he passed, i think it's still a tribute to him to name her that.

You may have a son in the future, and in that case you can actually use your dad's name as either a first or middle name option.

• Options

I am so sorry for your loss.  If you told him her middle name was going to be Ryan and he was excited, maybe I'd stick with that.  That is a nice memory to have.  Otherwise, honoring your Dad by using his name as your daughter's middle name is lovely.  I'd use what your Dad was called the most whether Charlie, Chuck, Charles.  They all sound fine to me with Emily.

Another suggestion is Charliann.  It is a more southern name and I think it's beautiful and could be a nice tribute to your Dad. 

Ultimately, go with your gut.  You can never go wrong with going with your gut.  That's what I did for my son's first name.  My husband won the middle name, unfortunately.  :)

Again, I'm so sorry.  You will be in my thoughts and prayers during this difficult time.