3rd Trimester

Dental insurance

It's open enrollment time, as many of you know.  Question: Should I get dental insurance for my 3 year old? We did a "happy visit" a couple months ago and the dentist said things look fine. When do you start taking your kids to the dentist regularly?

Re: Dental insurance

• I probably should have posted this in the toddler section.  Sorry...I'm just used to coming here.
  • Isn't it a requirement now? It is on individual plans.
  • Loading the player...
  • Isn't it a requirement now? It is on individual plans.

Health insurance is required. Vision and dental are not.

OP, it wouldn't hurt to have the insurance. What if he fell and hurt his mouth and had to have repair dental work done? My younger brother fell in the grocery store and shoved his top front teeth into the gum and had to have some expensive work done. Things happen.
  • Dental is required for a child
  • Check your health insurance. If it complies with the ACA I think it should cover pediatric vision and dental to some degree.
  • My son goes to the dentist every 6 months and started when he was 2. I'd definitely get dental for your older child.
  • paigeivey said:

Dental is required for a child

My insurance lists vision and dental both as optional. I'm totally not doubting you, but my company is shady with their benefits so this is good information for me to find out.
  • paigeiveypaigeivey member
    edited October 2015
    No like federal obamacare and dhs states a minor has to have dental offered and assistance to pay for the dental as well as medical. Edit** this is at least in the two states I have lived in NC and Arkansas. It requires the mother father or the state to provide dental or you can possibly be taxed for the minor not having coverage. This is what has been explained to me when I have inquired about it.
  • When I bought my individual health insurance they added pediatric dental to my plan automatically. I had to opt out since no minors are on my plan.
  • Our dentist suggested that we start bringing DD in at 2 years old. She turned 2 years old in September, so DH added her for our dental plan starting in January of next year.

Jamie

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Thanks for all the info. I had no idea dental was going  to start being mandatory. Maybe it's state by state?
    @sarahgn what happened to your brother sounds painful. Ouch!