May 2016 Moms
Options

Woke up gasping for air and choking

I have been trying to sleep in my side, which is hard for me as I am a back sleeper. However, I woke up suddenly last night gasping for air. Felt like my throat was closing and I had to cough a few times. I think I had rolled onto my back. Super scary. Has this happened to anyone?

Re: Woke up gasping for air and choking

• Options
    Last pregnancy it happened a few times near the end but I woke up with a mouth full of stomach acid from reflux/indigestion. Not just randomly unable to breathe. You should still be able to sleep on your back pretty easily, I think it was about 20 weeks before it really became uncomfortable because the baby was so large. I would maybe ask your doctor at your next appointment or if it feels like allergies take a Benadryl and/or go in sooner?

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker

BFP 1: 9/15/2013 | DD 5/23/2014
    BFP 2: 9/15/2015 | EDD 5/26/2016

• Options
    Hi!! This has not happened to me, but I have a couple of suggestions. I would ask your partner if you snore, unless you already know whether you do or not. I'm not sure how far along you are but I'm due May 2 and I'm currently 13.5 weeks and this has not happened to me yet. I'm not a doctor, but I do work with people who have sleep apnea, and one of their most common complaints is waking up in the middle of the night feeling exactly like you described. If it keeps happening, it's worth talking to your doctor about so they can rule that out as a possibility! Best of luck!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thank you! I don't think I snore. It's the first time it's happened.
  • Options
    Thank you. If it happenes again I'll def call the doc. Next apppintment is in two weeks.
  • Options
    Hi!! This has not happened to me, but I have a couple of suggestions. I would ask your partner if you snore, unless you already know whether you do or not. I'm not sure how far along you are but I'm due May 2 and I'm currently 13.5 weeks and this has not happened to me yet. I'm not a doctor, but I do work with people who have sleep apnea, and one of their most common complaints is waking up in the middle of the night feeling exactly like you described. If it keeps happening, it's worth talking to your doctor about so they can rule that out as a possibility! Best of luck!
    This. I would look into the possibility of sleep apnea.
  • Options
    You don't necessarily have to snore with sleep apnea.  My  husband has it.  While he snores sometimes, other times he does not.  Sometimes I'll hear him taking in a sharp breath and then I don't hear him breathing for a few minutes and he'll gasp again in his sleep.  He has to wear a CPAP machine.

First Pregnancy
    • BFP: 01/25/2015
    • EDD: 09/28/2015
    • Incomplete MC: 02/28/2015

Second Pregnancy

• BFP: 09/11/2015
    • EDD: 05/25/2016
    Baby Born
    04/15/2016

PGAL
  • Options
    I have this happen a ton when I'm pregnant because of too much mucus in my throat. Yay extra mucus membrane activity! It helps to keep water nearby.

Good luck!
  • Options
    It start happening to me with my first pregnancy 8 years ago. I used to sleep under the covers and noticed when I 1st start having them episodes so I had to get in the habit of keeping the cover off my face. It helped a little but I still will have them from time to time over the years depending on how I'm sleeping. I'm 13 weeks now and I'm starting to see its happening again a lot, which is scary at the moment but most of the time my husband can tell when I'm having a episode cause I'm trying to reach for him but my body won't let me and he try to move me a little to wake meup out of it. I talk to doctor about it and say it's really nothing you can do about it and it can happen. It's a scary feeling but you should be just fine!
  • Options
    I have sleep apnea and this is fairly normal, although it doesn't make it suck any less. I got a sleep study when I wasn't pregnant and got diagnosed with very mild sleep apnea, yet just got an auto cpap machine 3 weeks ago since with pregnancy I'll be gaining more weight (and weight makes sleep apnea worse). The auto cpap delivers a range of air based on my needs while I sleep. As I get further along, I'll likely need a higher percentage of air. I was scared about my sleep with a mask on my face but I got a nasal pillow mask and I can still move around comfortably and it has helped me sleep like a baby! Highly recommend you bring this up to your dr as sleep apnea can be a serious problem and if you have it, you're not getting enough air at night therefore neither is your baby. If you have any questions, feel free to pm me