May 2016 Moms

When does 2nd trimester start

I've seen different comments concerning when does the 2nd trimester begin. is it the 12th,13th,or 14th week? Heartburn has subsided as well as severe bloat and energy comes and goes. How is everyone else feeling? I'm at work and exhausted I need a nap but not until my shift ends at 7pm

Re: When does 2nd trimester start

• seasalt123seasalt123 member
    edited October 2015
    I have heard two things:

1) the beginning of Week 13 (so if you are 12 weeks you are on your final week in the first trimester). This seems to be the most common result I find when I google.

2) the beginning of Week 14. This is what the Bump actually lists as the start of the first trimester and I've seen it in several other places.

So I really don't know. I haven't seen this issue tackled head on in an article anywhere and it certainly is confusing. Similarly, the start of the fetal stage is also sometimes put at the 8th week and sometimes the 9th or 10th.
  • Loading the player...
  • My midwife said it depends on who you talk to. Like in the case of getting my flu shot she said wait till the second tri at 14 weeks. When I mentioned I thought it was at 13 weeks she said it's really subjective. So sometime around 13-14? Lol.
  • I feel like 13 weeks is a safe time to say you are in 2nd trimester.

Which means I'm in 2nd trimester tomorrow - holy crap!

image        image

• Right, @ladysamlady!?  How is this going by so fast?

image        image

• I've always been told that the 2nd tri starts at 12 weeks. I had my 12 week scan yesterday at 12w2d and I asked the dr to confirm when 2nd tri starts and he said it is at 12 weeks so I am definitely in the 2nd tri.
  • Second tri- 13w 3d
    Third tri-26w6d
    But most people just go with 13w and 27w
  • Thanks everyone I'm 12 w 1d I see my OB on Monday
  • My doctor goes with 12 weeks.

• My 2nd trimester checkup is (next week! woo hoo!) when I'll be 12w3d... So I guess for me it will be next Tuesday at 12 weeks according to my doctor.
    Been married since 2009.
    Unicornuate Uterus (yes I menstruate glitter)
    Several MCs
    DD born 2013 (our miracle "you can't have babies" baby!)

• I was trying to figure this out as well, as I was planning to do a prenatal workout video and wasn't sure whether I should try the first or second trimester routine.
  • Second tri- 13w 3d
    Third tri-26w6d

This is what I've always gone by too
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I asked at my doctor's office this week. Second trimester to them starts on week 12 day 2