January 2016 Moms

FTM question - how many sets of crib sheets to buy?

So, I have no idea how often I'll need to change these.  Do accidents that go through diapers tend to happen every night?  A couple of times a week?  Right now I've registered for 5 sets of crib sheets (if we don't receive them all as gifts, I plan to just buy the rest) but I'm wondering if that's excessive... or not enough? 

For reference, we're apartment dwellers who don't have a washer and dryer in unit.  Our laundry room is conveniently located right next door to our unit, but it's closed from 10pm to 8am daily, so in an emergency, I'd always like to have an extra set or two.

Thank you!

Re: FTM question - how many sets of crib sheets to buy?

• I only have 2 sets and have never had a problem, but if you don't have a washer and dryer it might be better to have 3.
  • Keep in mind, you can't really keep them around long before you have to wash them. Example, I always needed to wash cloth diapers before we ran through the whole pile because I didn't want them sitting around in a pail even though I had rinsed them. We never had any poop leaks and pee leaks only happened maybe a half dozen times total, but I've heard people complain about how much disposables leak.

Maybe rinse out the offended area in a sink and hang it to dry then toss it in the hamper.

I'd say five sounds like enough.
  • Loading the player...
  • Thanks, ladies!  :)
  • I had 4 with my first and will have 8 for this one. Not because I need that many but because I bought 2 new ones to match the nursery for my second and now third.
    Married 2006
    DS1 2010
    DS2 2013
    DD1 2016
  • I had 4 or 5 for my son. Now that he's in a toddler bed he still uses them. We rarely had leaks overnight but rest assured when we did there was already a sheet in the wash so it helped to have more than two!

• We had two for my son. I bought an additional two and my husband bought two more. So we will have 6 total. We honestly didn't change it except for weekly washing for a long time. Once he was moving around, he had leaks or more recently blowouts. Two was enough bc we could wash the other one. He's in a twin bed now and bc if tummy issues, I've used three sheets today. So we will have 6 total for the twins. I think as long as you have two, you'd be fine.
  • We have 4.
  • We have three.
  • I read a tip from a STM that advised to make the bed up with mattress protector then sheet then mattress protector then sheet. She said you will thank yourself during middle of the nights changes.
  • I read a tip from a STM that advised to make the bed up with mattress protector then sheet then mattress protector then sheet. She said you will thank yourself during middle of the nights changes.

This is my plan. Granted I haven't parented overnight, but being a nanny there were enough times to make it memorable that a sheet needed to be changed and then shortly after, changed again. Two was *usually* enough, but those rare occasions where multiple changes were required, it was handy to have 3. I'm going to have 4 to account for my lazy laundering (when it's my own house - somehow not lazy when it's in someone else's), and for zombie nights where I'm not going all the way to the basement to wash a sheet so it's fresh if and when another blowout happens.

• Honestly I never really had to change "soiled" sheets when my babies were tiny, so just weekly sheet changes. It's a much bigger issue with toddlers but even still it's pretty rare. I have 3 waterproof covers between my two toddlers and it's never been a problem- I have more sheets than that though. I also can do laundry immediately in my home. I think 4 would be a safe number- heck it's more than I have with 2 kids lol but 5 isn't too excessive either if that makes you more comfortable. You just never know ;-)
  • We had three a kid and it was perfect.
    1.0&2.0 7-29-11

• I have 6 to use between crib and dd's toddler bed. I also do weekly linen laundry so we always have spares in case of accidents.
  • Five should be plenty. We have four and I've never run out of clean sheets.

I highly recommend doubling up on your layers though. When I make his bed I put on a waterproof sheet, crib sheet then another waterproof sheet and second crib sheet. We've never had to deal with leaks or blow outs in the middle of the night but ds did have a stomach bug which necessitated using both layers and then needing to remake the bed in the middle of the night. I was glad I only had to do it once, it was a very long night! I'd try for three layers but the sheets are tight to get on and I don't think a third would fit.
  • We have 3 for our son. It always was enough.
  • Thanks, guys!  This has been really helpful!
  • We have 5 and then registered for a mattress pad.