November 2015 Moms

Fluid in baby's kidneys

mrsgabusmrsgabus member
edited October 2015 in November 2015 Moms
Anyone have experience with (Possible) duplex collecting system in fetus.

I've had 5 ultrasounds and yesterday the tech noted she had fluid in her right kidney .

My OB said it was a possible defect and she would need an ultrasound after birth .

I've googled it but if anyone else has any experience id love to hear it

Re: Fluid in baby's kidneys

• I'm really not sure what this means; you need to ask your doctor for verification. But I assume that it means there is hydronephrosis on ultrasound? Was there a reason they were doing an ultrasound, such as excess amniotic fluid? That would help give you better advice...
  • mrsgabusmrsgabus member
    edited October 2015

I'm really not sure what this means; you need to ask your doctor for verification. But I assume that it means there is hydronephrosis on ultrasound? Was there a reason they were doing an ultrasound, such as excess amniotic fluid? That would help give you better advice...

Sorry mobile is hard to word sometimes. I had an ultrasound to check baby's position yesterday and that's when they found fluid.

I did ask doctor to clarify but she didn't clarify in non medical terms aside from uti infections. ..

• Loading the player...
  • My baby has a double collection system on the left side (so do I) but fortunately no fluid. She will get an ultrasound at around one month old.
  • I would call your doctors office and DEMAND that the doctor or nurse explain to you exactly what that diagnosis means for you & your baby. Especially given that due dates are just around the corner & baby may need special treatment. I understand that you are wanting to hear from moms with similar experiences but you don't seem to understand your situation which makes it really hard for us to give proper feedback. Also- we are not doctors. Goodluck OP! Hope all turns out well for you & little one :)
  • My baby has fluid on the kidneys (hydronephrosis). It was apparent from the 22 week ultrasound and has persisted (will check again tomorrow). We met with a pediatric urologist and they are going to put the baby on antibiotics at birth (to prevent a kidney infection/UTI) and then do tests on the baby at 3-4 weeks (once his circumcision is healed). According to what we have learned the most common cause is a blockage in the renal ducts and it often goes away on its on in the first couple weeks.

Hope you get more answers soon about your specific situation.