Babies: 0 - 3 Months
Options

Dirty Diaper

How long do I let DD (8 weeks) go without a dirty diaper before calling ped? Is there anything we can even do? She hasn't gone since early Sunday. I've tried massaging feet, bicycling legs, & bending knees and bringing legs up towards her. She's gassy, but no dirty... TIA!
Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: Dirty Diaper

• Options
    They say up to 5 days.  My LO shows incredible discomfort.  Things to check are 1. Is DD's tummy soft/pliable.  If you feel any hard or firm spots, call the pedi.  Also, check the soft spots.  If they are dipping in, chances DD may be dehydrated a bit.  See what your pedi advises on this as well.  Everyone has different opinions, but I've done a couple things with mine.  First, I've dipped his paci in Karo.  Not a ton, but it works after a little while.  My LO has had GI issues, but I also put 1/2 tsp of Milk of Magnesia in his bottle once at night and once in the morning.  This works.  No it's not habit forming.  

OH!!!  Two things to try!!    
    1.  Use a Qtip coated in vaseline to gently rub in a circular motion their bhole.  Do this at every diaper change.  Will usually work in a day or two.
    2.  Use a warm cloth or put their booty in warm water.  Helps to relax their muscles so they can poop.

Hope this helps!  Good luck!
  • Options
    The Milk of Magnesia dose is per LO's pedi orders....  Check before starting.  
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thanks! She's napping right now and if she's not dirty after she wakes up I think I'll call. I need to check her tummy - that's a good idea. I should've remembered that from when DS was in NICU. Also I'll try a nice warm bath. Thanks for the tips, momma!
  • Options
    My LO will go 6 days without having BM. He is 6 weeks and EBF. His pediatrician told me it can be normal for a EBF baby to go 10 days without pooping. As long as he is passing has, tummy is soft, eating well, etc. he said no big deal. I can imagine not going for that long!
  • Options
    Ditto @styllbc. If you're BFing it's normal to go up to 10 days without a BM; something both of my girls did/do regularly do.

As long as your LO is comfortable I wouldn't freak out just yet. 
    DD1 4.14.10
    DD2 8.22.13
    MMC 1.4.17 at 16w
    Expecting #3, EDD 1.29.18

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Breastfeeding? If yes, it's normal for them to go a week without pooping.
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
    Photobucket
  • Options
    Oh, I should have mentioned that. She is ff. she doesn't seem any more uncomfortable than always (she's not a particularly happy baby).
  • Options
    My LO is FF as well.  He wasn't a happy baby (so to speak) for a while.  Turns out it was his milk allergy.  Now we are on Neocate, he's a cipper little dude.  Love it.  Not saying your LO has an allergy.  You just may end up on another formula that is easier on them like Enfamil Gentlease.  
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"