March 2016 Moms

C-section mom's who breastfed

Hey guys, my OB told me with this second baby I would need a section due to how badly I tore with the first baby. I've been reading online and keep seeing so many women who have trouble nursing, having their milk come in, and feeding baby. Scares me since I'm praying I can nurse this baby also. Thoughts and experiences?
Thanks.

Best Answer

Answers

• I was wondering the same thing. I had a  very hard labor with my son and ended up having to have a C - section. My milk supply never came in, despite trying for a week. Between the recovery from the C-section and being a tired first time mom, I gave up. I am going to try to the C-section band after delivery this time around and see if that gives me any relief. And also try my hardest not to give up, especially if my milk does not come in right away.
  • Loading the player...
  • I know lots of moms that breastfed after a c-section so while it might take longer for your milk to come in it is def doable.I had a c-section and ended up giving up on breastfeeding at 14 days. I was super stressed out due to recovering from a c-section, breastfeeding, pumping and then supplementing so I just gave up. Honestly it was the best decision for me and DS at the time. This time I feel better going into it because I know what to expect and I def want to see a LC (I only did in the hospital last time). I am sure it will also be helpful that you nursed your first and you know what to expect. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I had an emergency c section and luckily had no issues BFing (beyond the initial learning curve) I didn't realize that women had issues. I really feel for you all.
    I Latched my little guy in recovery and then every hour (cause he thought I was a pacifier). If you're worried I'd check out Dr. jack Newman's BF page. He's kinda the BF whisperer in Canada but he's really fantastic and gives great advice. He'll also personally answer emails.
  • I had an emergency Csection with ds. He was low birthweight and I did not get to attempt to Bf him until 4 hours after birth (by that time he had been given a bottle of formula for low blood sugar). The first week was extremely difficult even though my milk came in within the first two days he was born. He nursed poorly, preferred the bottle, and fell asleep anytime I got him to latch, but we had good lactation consultants who really helped me. I successfully bf'd until 26 months. That being said, I plan to be much more proactive this time, should I have another preemie. 1) I plan to speak with a lactation consultant before birth to learn the best way to promote bfing with a preemie (fingers crossed this will nt be the case) 2) if baby does need formula ask that he be spoon or syringe fed instead of bottle fed. 3) if baby is not latching well begin pumping as soon as I can (I became really engorged with Ds and didn't know t was also hurting my ability to nurse). 4) ask to see a LC at first sign of issues rather than waiting for them to stop by.

I have to have a repeat c section this time, but I feel much more prepared for the challenges I may face.
  • Great points @Stormiewinter I think a routine repeat c section is a whole different scenario than BF a preemie.
    My LO was angry, alert and looking for food (or comfort?) we never figured that one out ;) It would be so hard to try to BF a LO that was sleepy and didn't have good muscle control. My hats are off to the Mom's who battle that.

A good friend of mine was diabetic so she had to be checked post delivery and her daughter had a NICU visit and within the first 4 hours she had formula (like you) and a soother. She tried LC after LC and couldn't get her to latch properly so she made the tough choice to exclusively pump. I'd have it written into your care plans that you prefer syringe feeding and no soothers.