3rd Trimester

When did you start maternity leave?

Question for STMs and ladies who have already gone on leave:

I'm a high school teacher and had originally planned on working until just over a week before my due date (the week before thanksgiving). I just found out today that I am eligible for up to four weeks of leave before baby comes through state disability insurance at 55% pay. I'm not just trying to take leave I don't need, my job needs me and I want to be there, but I'm definitely starting to get tired.

I'm wondering how long before their due dates other mamas were uncomfortable enough to start their leave, assuming they indented to work as long as possible?
Pregnancy Ticker

Re: When did you start maternity leave?

• My first I was put on bed rest at 26 weeks, this time I am going off at 8 months. I'm from Canada though, and it lasts a year, depending on how much you worked prior to having the baby.
    BabyFruit Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • This is really different for everyone. I have a desk job and had no problem working up until my due date. Some people experience a lot more discomfort in 3rd tri than I did.

Any time I took off before baby meant less time off after baby. My due date was on a Friday and I always said that I wasn't going to work past my due date whether baby had come or not. I realized I was in labor within an hour of getting home from work that day.

• Loading the player...
  • I only had 12 weeks I could use (and would only be paid for 6 covered by short term disability and anything I chose to use my paid time off for).  I wanted to use all of it after having the baby.  I have a desk job.  I was at my desk on Friday and went into labor overnight Saturday into Sunday, had the baby on Sunday, started maternity leave Monday.

If I was on my feet all day I probably would have wanted out by 38 weeks or so, if I had the option to be on paid leave before the birth and still maintain my post-birth leave.  For example, if it's worded as "you have 12 weeks and can start leave anytime beginning 4 weeks before your due date" that would mean that taking time off before you were due would delete time at the end, once you have the baby.  On the other hand (and I know some states do this), if it's more like "you can take 4 weeks before the birth AND 12 weeks after" and you can take 12 weeks afterwards regardless of how much time you take beforehand, I'd check my budget and take as much as it allowed.  A pay cut is a pay cut, but if you can afford to take 4 weeks at 55% pay, I'd do it (as long as it wouldn't mess with my post-baby time).

You will want to maximize your time at home after the birth based on what you can afford.  The time after the baby is born is a lot more important than the time before.  We saved up during the whole pregnancy so that I could take the maximum leave without losing my position at work.

• I am also in Canada and get 52 weeks. I'm taking off November 6 and my due date is Dec 26. I know it's really early... But I have been so stressed out at work I know it is not good for me or baby. And my DH and I can afford it. What we can't afford is something to happen to baby because of my extremely high stress levels!!! It's completely up to you. You will know when you need to stop.
    My doctor is concerned about cramps I have been getting, most likely induced by stress and anxiety. She said I need to slow down.
  • @chaelainev, have you heard about mat leave being extended to 18 months in the next few months? Someone just asked me at work if I was taking the full 18 months or year. I haven't heard of it though?
    BabyFruit Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • @delujm0I was informed by my HR rep that I am entitled to 4 weeks before delivery and six weeks after at 55% pay through SDI (state disability insurance). One does not impact the other. I also get two weeks fully paid through my job I(to take before or after) and two weeks of my maternity leave will fall over Christmas break as well, so taking the time before will not impact the time after in my case. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I get 12 weeks, before and after included. I plan to work until the baby is born so I can have as much time home with her as possible, but if I could get extra weeks before the birth, I'd definitely take it. But we don't have anything like that. I still have 10 weeks left before her due date and it's getting rough. I'll go on leave early if I physically HAVE to, but I don't want to lose time I could spend home with her.
  • Thanks everyone for the responses. Before talking to my rep yesterday I thought all of my leave came from one pool, and it's pretty limited since I haven't been with the organization very long, but when I realized that pre and post leave are separate, it really changed my thinking about it. I am 33 weeks and getting pretty uncomfortable, so I might go out three weeks before. One of those weeks would be Thanksgiving week, however, so I would technically only be taking two weeks of leave. I timed this baby really well for a teacher's schedule (just kidding, you cant time babies!). 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I also get 4 weeks pre and 8 weeks post with disability, and then another 8 weeks paid family leave. I decided to take full advantage and started my leave this week at 36 weeks.
  • I also get 4 weeks pre and 8 weeks post with disability, and then another 8 weeks paid family leave. I decided to take full advantage and started my leave this week at 36 weeks.

Just out of curiosity, what happens in this situation if you don't deliver until 41+ weeks? I assume that eats into your post baby leave time? If that's the case I'd probably go out at 37 weeks instead of 36...just in case I wound up overdue!
  • I have only 12 weeks too and wanted to work until as close to my due date as possible. I have a desk job but I was commuting to the city via subway about 45 minutes to a hour each way and it was killing me. The commute, the people who are rude and ignore me, and the stairs. I went out on leave last Friday at 39w2d. I'm now 40 weeks and while there is still no baby i am overall happy I took the leave a little early to rest.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • delujm0 said:

I also get 4 weeks pre and 8 weeks post with disability, and then another 8 weeks paid family leave. I decided to take full advantage and started my leave this week at 36 weeks.

Just out of curiosity, what happens in this situation if you don't deliver until 41+ weeks? I assume that eats into your post baby leave time? If that's the case I'd probably go out at 37 weeks instead of 36...just in case I wound up overdue!
    I think you're right that it starts eating into you post-delivery time. I'm pretty sure it maxes out at 10 weeks unless csection, and then it's 12. It's probably wise to wait until 37 weeks, I didn't really think of that! I was pretty anxious to stop working
  • shantyraeshantyrae member
    edited October 2015
    delujm0 said:

I also get 4 weeks pre and 8 weeks post with disability, and then another 8 weeks paid family leave. I decided to take full advantage and started my leave this week at 36 weeks.

This! I'm currently kicking myself because I took off starting a week before my due date and now here I am still pregnant and approaching 41 weeks! I hate that this is eating into my 8 weeks that I have off for baby.
  • suteki325suteki325 member
    edited October 2015
    I'm also wondering when I should start my maternity leave. I get 8 weeks off from my job and I want as much time off to spend with the baby, rather than sitting around waiting for baby. But I'm on my feet all day (work as a vet tech) and some days I work pretty long shifts (10 - 12 hours). So far I'm still pretty comfortable, but I'm only 24 weeks so I know that will probably change. I want to ideally work until right when I go into labor, but I know that might not be possible for me.
  • I get 4 weeks before and 6 after, and I went out at 36 + 3. I have had time to prepare and relax (when I went off we had barely started the nursery and still needed to shop, let alone wash clothes, prep diapers, etc.) and while I'm going a little stir crazy (38 + 2) I'm glad I took the time because I would be so, so exhausted and miserable if I hadn't.

That having been said, I would have worked as long as possible if all the time came out of the same pool and made it work!
  • I'm starting leave at 39+5. I get 8 weeks paid, but I also have the option to take unpaid leave, so I'm electing to go unpaid until baby arrives.
    Me: 34  DH: 35
    Married 2010
    TTC: Feb 2014, BFP 7/14/14, CP 7/18/14
    BFP 3/10/15 - DD #1 born 11/19
    TTC #2: Oct 2017, BFP 12/19/17, CP 12/22/17
    BFP 2/20/18 - EDD 10/31/2018
  • I get 12 weeks and am staying on the schedule until week 41. If I go before then, or have to go on bed rest, my short term disbability will kick in and leave will start. I am 33.5 weeks currently.
  • with my oldest I only started when she was born...with my second about a week before 
  • Im 36+5 and I can guess I can take off however long I need... But Im a part time teller so no benefits and my time off is always unpaid :/
  • @chaelainev, have you heard about mat leave being extended to 18 months in the next few months? Someone just asked me at work if I was taking the full 18 months or year. I haven't heard of it though?

Sorry for the delayed response!

Yes both liberals and conservatives were promising that. It would start next year if it passes. However, you would not get your income at 60% for 18 months. It would be decreased so you make the same amount of money, you're just allowed more time off.
  • I planned to go on maternity leave at 34 weeks due to the fact that the company I work for states employees need to be on maternity at least 6 weeks prior to EDD. I get 12 months paid leave. I had a few complications so had to take sick and annual leave at 26 weeks. I have been on maternity leave since start of September.
  • I'm going on 3 mo leave at 39+2.
  • Hector33 said:
    I planned to go on maternity leave at 34 weeks due to the fact that the company I work for states employees need to be on maternity at least 6 weeks prior to EDD. I get 12 months paid leave. I had a few complications so had to take sick and annual leave at 26 weeks. I have been on maternity leave since start of September.
    Where do you live? Because I want in on that. 
  • I have a shift work job where I'm on my feet most of the time. In December (due 1/1) they're switching me to the easier assignments where I'll have more time to sit down and did not schedule me at all after 38 weeks. But I was able to fit 122 hours of my 144 full time schedule into the first two weeks of Dec. I'm off the schedule through all of Jan - March and will come back the beginning of April. 

I agree with timing babies well (JK) with my job I have worked 4 out of 5 of the last 5 Christmases so it's really nice to know I'll have one off for sure! (Even if it means I'm working Thanksgiving). 

Me: 35, Hubbie: 33
    Married DH: 2013
    DD: Dec 2015
    BFP 8/14/17 --> Due 4/27/2018

Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker

• My last day at work was yesterday, but my leave officially starts on Tuesday, which is the day after my EDD & scheduled c-section.
  • DD1 - 42 weeks, 6 days
    DD2 - 34 weeks
    DD3 - The plan this time around is Dec. 11, with my c-section scheduled on Dec. 15.

I'm taking the first 6 months of leave, and my husband will take the second half just like we did last time.
  • I worked up until 6 pm on Friday night, and my water broke at 11 pm that same night. He was born the next morning. I didn't plan to take any pre-baby leave, though.
    BabyFruit Ticker

• I work for a school so plan on working until I go into labor (Due Dec 17) or until the week of Christmas vacation. Dec 21 is when I would like to take off even though it doesn't really start until noon on the 23rd. 
  • I was a week past my due date and went to work even though i was having contractions but i work at a computer if i had to stand most of the day i probably would have used some vacation time.
  • I am in the same boat as you.  I am a school teacher too, and in NY we have to use whatever sick time we have in our sick bank for leave.  We can get 6 weeks off paid, and then 6 more with FMAL.  I just got hired full time last year, so I don't even have a full 6 weeks of paid time off yet, but I am taking 12.  We can participate in FMLA for the additional six, but without pay. My due date is the 24th of Jan and so far, I am feeling really good and making it through the work day just fine.  My plan is to work right up my due date and even beyond if I go past my due date.  I think at this point that is what I plan on doing, and starting within the next 2-3 weeks, I am going to start planning out lessons and getting materials prepped.  Some teachers have been telling me that even though I'm feeling great, being on my feet all day, (I get to work at 7:15 a.m. and leave around 4:30 p.m.) and working in a high stress level environment (Inner city-school, Special Ed. Teacher for Emotional Disturbed children) I could go early or late, so be prepared.  I'm also prepared to start wearing some heavy duty depends or pads if I get close enough that I think my water may break while at school, lol.  I'd be totally embarrassed, but not even that, I really don't want my 8 and 9 year old students to do a "WTH, was that!!??" moment..god forbid that were to ever happen while at work, haha.
  • I only get 6 weeks at 50% pay so I will be working every possible minute until then :(
  • I live in the UK so am entitled up to a years leave. My maternity leave starts the day before I'm due I saved up some annual leave to take before baby makes an appearance which means I'll stop working at 36 weeks.
  • Take all that you can get!  I am lucky because I am due Dec 30th, so I get that entire week before my due date off (and paid) for the Holidays.  I am using vacation days for the week prior to that!  So, in total I will have about 2-2.5 weeks off before the birth.   But--if the baby was due any other date....I would be taking the full month prior. As long as it doesn't eat into your time after the birth of your baby...go for it!
  • This is my last week of work, I'm due mid January. I'm taking next week as vacation since I'll lose the time anyway if I don't take it and then starting maternity leave after that. But I'm in Canada and get a full 52 weeks so going off 6 weeks before my due date isn't a huge deal, especially considering how uncomfortable and exhausted I've been. However, if I didn't get a full year of coverage I would likely work as close to my due date as possible so I really think it depends on what kind of leave you're able to get where you live :smile: