Any experiences with cytotec around 7-9 weeks? — The Bump
Miscarriage/Pregnancy Loss

Any experiences with cytotec around 7-9 weeks?

Hello.  I'm sorry we're all here.

I just got dx with my fourth loss today.  I'm 9 weeks, measuring 7.  I'm scheduled for a D&C, but am contemplating doing meds instead.  Do any of you have experience with this around this time frame?  I'm just wondering how bad the pain might be, and how long it might all take.  Thanks!

---------------------------------------------------------------
4 early losses 2009, 2010, 2015.  Baby #1 born 2/13/11.  

Re: Any experiences with cytotec around 7-9 weeks?

• I'm sorry for your losses. I used cytotec at 8 weeks, measuring 6+1 so a little earlier than you, but figured it was close enough to share.

My dr doesn't like to jump right to a D&C so they strongly recommend giving it time to happen naturally or using cytotec. I ended up needing 4 rounds (inserted vaginally) over 5 days - Friday night, Saturday morning, Monday night, and Tuesday night (back in August). I had some light bleeding, no cramping after the first 2 rounds. After the 3rd I started having some small gushes and light cramps, but nothing else was happening so we did round 4. Wednesday I started cramping and bleeding more heavily, but still not the intense cramps/heavy bleeding I had been told to expect. Finally Thursday I started cramping more for about a half hour and passed some large pieces of tissue. After that no more cramping. I bled for a week and spotted for another - an ultrasound confirmed I had passed everything during that Wednesday/Thursday time.

The dr had warned me to expect 30-60 minutes of intense cramping and bleeding, and I never had that. Some people do, but unfortunately you won't know how your body will respond until you use it. I really didn't want a D&C and I even more so didn't want to wait for something to happen naturally. 

I wish I had known going in that not everyone has the intense cramping and bleeding. I was so frustrated and emotional thinking all 4 rounds had failed. But once I realized it had done it's job, I was relieved to be past the physical loss without needing a D&C.

I'm sorry again for your losses. Good luck with your decision.
    _______________________________________________________________________________________________
    MMC 8/5/15 at 8 weeks
    DS born 9/13/16
    BFP 1/13/18 - EDD 9/20/18 - It's a boy!
  • @BBHME
    I did the medication, I was 10 weeks. My pain was pretty bad later that night I had a lot of cramps they were severe to me and I passed a lot of clots and ended up having to go to the hospital that night anyway because I was faint twice and lost a lot of blood. I had a blighted ovum, which is where there is no fetus just the sac. I ended up not passing anything and then overnight I past it. My doctor and the er Doctor didn't recommend a d&c. I'm sorry for your loss and what your having to go thru. I hope everything goes well and that you can get back to normal and try again for your rainbow baby in the future. Hugs to you :x
  • Loading the player...
  • Been lurking for a while, haven't posted. But, the decision to wait, take meds, or have a d&c is extremely difficult, and if my experience helps in any way I want to share it.

I took cytotec at 11w5d, measuring 7w1d. One round inserted vaginally. Cramping began about an hour after taking the pills. It became extremely intense and by midnight I was in intense pain, vomiting, and losing a lot of blood. Went to the ER after an advice nurse told me to go in right away, and was put on IV pain meds, then monitored for several hours. After being released, I had no pain for an entire day, then the next day had very regular contractions about 1 min each, 5 mins apart. Passed the sac that evening (about 12 hours later). It has been six weeks now, and I am still experiencing occasional back cramping and am spotting regularly. Dr. had done an u/s after I passed the sac and said all looked good.

If I could go back I may have opted for the d&c. The pain after cytotec was extremely intense, even with pain meds at home. And, I am still spotting 6 weeks later.

I am so sorry you are having to make this decision. My thoughts are with you. Hang in there.
  • With my first loss at almost 9 weeks, my pain was horrible. I did not take the pain killers prescribed because they told me it was just cramps. It was the worst pain I have ever been in. With my loss in June at 8 weeks I decided to take the meds again. This time I took the pain meds 2 hours before and felt nothing. I just made sure I took it on time, every 4 hours. I'm sorry for your loss. I have had two, I cannot imagine having 4!
  • Thank you all for your experiences.  I ended up going with the D&C.  This one was easier than my first.  I had minimal cramps and bleeding, and only on the day of.  While it probably would have been a bit cathartic to go through a more natural m/c, the d&c definitely seems easier physically.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    4 early losses 2009, 2010, 2015.  Baby #1 born 2/13/11.  
  • I've no experience with the meds, just wanted to say I am so sorry for your losses.