April 2016 Moms
Options

Shaping babys head

shayshayinshayshayin member
edited October 2015 in April 2016 Moms
Has anyone heard of shaping babies head? Apparently everyone in my family did it.. Im skeptical though... Wondering if its just my weird fam or if head shaping is really a thing?

Re: Shaping babys head

• Options
    I've never heard of it but all I can think of is binding feet now lol.
    First BFP 12/2012, MMC at 9 weeks
    Second BFP 6/2013, resulted in DS, born 2/23/14 :-)
    Third BFP 5/2015, natural MC at 6 weeks
    Fourth BFP 8/2015, hoping for sticky little brother or sister to H!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Proud SAHM to our little monkey H. 
    Pro Vax, extended breasftfeeder, ring sling and stroller loving mama. I don't judge you unless you don't vaccinate!
  • Options
    Same here, never heard of it. I've only heard of exercises you can do with your baby to avoid him getting a flat head.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I have never heard of it. I know that as long as you don't keep them on their back for to long at a time they won't get a flat spot but their head will naturally round out after birth. It takes a few months because their skull is still soft but as far as I understand it will fix itself.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    kimey1kimey1 member
    edited October 2015
    This is common knowledge in Korea! The moms make sure the newborn doesn't stay lying facing up for too long to prevent the back of the head becoming flat. I remember my mom and grandma constantly putting my brothers face to the right one time and the left next time, whether his body was facing up or down. That way each side would be even and the baby's head would be shaped nice and round. But some babies will turn and get antsy until their face is facing up so eventually the back of their heads could end up being more flat shaped rather than round.
  • Options
    I've heard of doctors giving babies helmets for flat heads to round them out, but that's the only time I've heard of it. 
  • Options
    Not sure if this is exactly what you're talking about but I know it's more important now with the "back to sleep" campaign to try and make sure they face different directions each time they lay down. If they like to look out the crib in one direction it can be helpful to have their head at the "head" of the crib the first time you lay them down then their head at the "foot" of the crib the next time. 

They can get flat spots and develop torticollis if they are constantly laying & facing the same direction. 

DD napped in the Ergo a lot when she was little so that also kept pressure off the back of her head. I know not everyone might agree... but if you can keep an eye on LO during nap time/you're comfortable with it you can lay LO down on their belly. I wouldn't do it until LO is big enough to fully lift his/her head up but being on the belly can help with head shape. DD started sleeping on her belly... I think around 5-6 months old constantly, she wouldn't sleep on her back once she could make the decision herself.

• Options
    Calling it "shaping baby's head" makes me picture someone molding a baby's head like play dough.

We did lay LO in different directions in her crib/pack n play and did lots of tummy time, but the head shaping process was hands-off.
    kids with flags
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    They shape the baby's head when it's in the birthing canal too long. When the baby's head is in the canal for too long it can form a cone shape, so they shape it.
  • Options
    I've heard of certain cultures "shaping" the baby's head. I remembers parents talking about it with a friend. I would probably never do it for fear of hurting my baby, but I have heard of families doing it!
  • Options
    My family has done it. My mother did it for my daughter. I hadn't heard of it as I was a young mother but all she did was gently rub her head in circular motions because my daughter was stuck in birth canal giving her the cone shape. Anyways it didn't hurt her at all there was no pressure and she is a healthy smart nine year old girl.