TTC after 35
Options

Chiropractic and TTC

Just about to head to my first chiropractic appointment ever and I'm nervous. I have had hip and sciatic pain since I was pregnant with LO. Since I'm not yet in my fertile window, I figured I'd go get evaluated since I've been told that sometimes chiropractic work can help with conception. I plan to talk with the chiropractor about this (and hope he's good with people who cry because I am weepy today. I'm sad that I am not pregnant, I'm sad our trip to visit my family is over, and I'm sad that my DH is in a terrible mood because he is back at work or something and somehow it's all my fault), but thought I'd see if any of you have any experience with this as well. Thanks in advance!

Re: Chiropractic and TTC

• Options
    I have no experience with this but just wanted to say that I'm sorry you're feeling sad today. Sending you a big hug!
    ME: 36 (PCOS), DH: excellent SA
    NTNP since 11/12, actively trying since 8/14
    m/c @ 7w (4/22/14), m/c @ 6w (11/19/14)
    11/15: Letrozole, Ovidrel, TI = BFP!!!
    Beta #1(14dpo)=349, Beta #2(18dpo)=2,805
    12/17/15: Got to see the heartbeat (105bpm)!
    1/25/16: NT scan = normal (HB=163bpm)
    EDD: 8/10/16 
    8/8/16: Baby boy born @ 12:25am, 8lbs, 20.5 inches
    5/18/17: BFP!!! (11dpo)
    Beta #1(12dpo)=176.4, Beta #2(15dpo)=607.1
  • Options
    I know that chiropractors are trained to deal with pregnant women, though I've never heard about it helping with conception. Since I'm pretty active, I'm in to see mine every 3-4 weeks to help keep everything moving properly. 

Sorry you're feeling sad. 
    Me: 37, DH: 44
    TTC #1 since September 2014
    Canada

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thanks, gals. I mentioned TTC to him and he asked a few questions. Today was apparently just an evaluation. I'll go back on Friday to see what he says. There's a practice here that specifically advertises for helping with TTC, so we'll see. I did cry. He was nice. But I think there are more tears to come. Maybe a long shower and some crying are on tap for this evening. So. Much. Fun.
  • Options
    I'm sorry you're feeling sad.  Hugs to you.
    *** Child & current pregnancy mentioned ***
    Me - 41 (PCOS), Hubby - 43 (healthy)
    7/2013 - Sweet baby girl born (Clomid + TI)
    3/2014 - TTC #2, return to RE 7/2014
    12/2015: IVF #1 transferred two great looking embryos - BFP!
    First ultrasound: TWO beautiful little heartbeats!!
    Harmony: negative; level 2: babies look great and are boy/girl! :) 
  • Options
    I'm sorry Sporty....sometimes crying is the best therapy!
    Married: 7/9/15
    Me: 37, DH: 36
    Started TTC #1: 9/2015
    Preliminary labs/testing @ 6 months: TSH, A1c, progesterone, prolactin, SA, HSG all normal
    BFP: 5/19/2016, M/C: 5/29/2016
    BFP: 6/22/2016  EDD 3//6/2017

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Sorry you are sad :( sometimes a good cry feels so good though to get all the stress out!
  • Options
    Thanks, all! I didn't end up crying in the shower last night, but I did veg out with a big bowl of ice cream! Feeling a little better today. But next time the tears start, I'm gonna let them roll! Thanks for all of the support. It really helps.
  • Options
    I never used to cry much, but these days it seems like sadness is always lurking under the surface and can be triggered at any time.  It's not unusual for me to have to blink back tears on the treadmill at the gym, or walking into the grocery store.  So awkward!

I'm glad you feel a little better.  Ice cream is always a good idea.
    TTC#1 since Jan 2015
    BFP 2/19/15  •  MMC found at 9 wks  •  D&E at 11 wks (age 36)
    BFP 8/29/15
      •  CP (age 37)
    BFP 11/18/15  •  DD born at 41 weeks <3(age 37/38)

TTC#2 since May 2017
    BFP 10/18/17  •  MMC found at 8 wks  •  Misoprostal at 10.5 wks (age 39)

BFP 2/16/18
      •  CP (age 39)
    BFP 4/13/18
      •  CP (age 39)
    BFP 5/07/18  •  MMC found at 10.5 wks  •  D&E at 11.5 wks 
    •  Testing showed it was a girl with Trisomy 22. (age 39/40)
    9/5/18 Diagnosed with diminished ovarian reserve (4-5 follicles, one ovary had none and was very atrophied)

RE says the low egg count is likely causing my recurrent pregnancy loss. Less eggs results in more aneuploidy.

BFP 9/24/18  • 
    CP (age 40)
    BFP 5/11/19  •  Fraternal twins  •  MMC found at 10w5d (Baby A 6w, Baby B 10w)  •  Misoprostal at 11 weeks (age 41)

• Options
    I'm sorry things suck right now and I hope you feel brighter soon!
  • Options
    Sending love @Sporty1216 xoxo
    My only advice with chiropractic is to avoid getting your neck manually adjusted (I had a horrible trauma due to this 7 years ago, so I am passing along my 2 cents with genuine warning), as for help in TTC I bet it's great for blood flow to your pelvic region.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    A chiropractor injured my ribs and it took 3 months to heal, so I second @thistle8677's caution -- not just about the neck, but about chiropractic adjustments in general.
    TTC#1 since Jan 2015
    BFP 8/29/15
      •  CP (age 37)

TTC#2 since May 2017

BFP 2/16/18
      •  CP (age 39)
    BFP 4/13/18
      •  CP (age 39)
    9/5/18 Diagnosed with diminished ovarian reserve (4-5 follicles, one ovary had none and was very atrophied)

RE says the low egg count is likely causing my recurrent pregnancy loss. Less eggs results in more aneuploidy.

BFP 9/24/18  • 
    CP (age 40)
    BFP 5/11/19  •  Fraternal twins  •  MMC found at 10w5d (Baby A 6w, Baby B 10w)  •  Misoprostal at 11 weeks (age 41)

• Options
    Thanks for the cautions. I am nervous about it, for sure, but would like to get my hip feeling better. My DH has gone to this guy for a few years, and he uses some table with hydraulics in it. I dunno. But this feedback definitely helps me know what to ask and maybe even what to decline based on whatever he tells me Friday.
  • Options
    Coming out of lurkerdom to comment. I was having horrible hip/sciatic nerve pain after having my LO. I dealt with it about a year until I was in so much pain I was having problems doing regular daily activities. I went to the chiropractor about 3 times a week for 2 months. She only worked on my lower back. I feel so much better, almost like normal again.
  • Options
    Good to know, @jennOK ! Thanks for sharing your experience. I've been dealing with this for close to 2 years now! I would be grateful to have it resolved! I'm glad to hear things works out well for you! I'll update with how things go tomorrow. :)
  • Options
    Well, I went and it looks like my tailbone is out of whack, which I believe since it sometimes hurts like heck! They made me watch a super cheesy video though that was all fear-mongery and just put no faith in the viewer to be an intelligent human being. That turned me off. As did a lot of discussion of the "chiropractic lifestyle." I'm not in this for a lifestyle... Anyway. He popped some stuff and I feel sore. He said it's perfectly safe even if I am TTC. I'm frustrated because they still haven't told me their "plan of treatment" but I'll go one more time on Monday at least in hopes of getting all the info. Why does it feel like some kind of pyramid scheme? Am I being super sensitive, or is this a thing? Blah. Sorry. That was barely TTC-related but I clearly needed to vent.
  • Options
    That sounds a little weird. Maybe try another person. My doctor just showed me my x-rays. It was very obvious what was out of place. I could see the shift in my spine. Then it was about a 5 minute adjustment every time I went and I was done. I'm not one to just buy into anything, and I was very doubtful about if this was a real thing, but I know it made me feel better and be able to function again.
  • Options
    It definitely sounds like they are trying to recruit regular customers (aka income). 

I had to go to a physical therapist for a herniated disc and he said my tailbone was out of place.  He said the only way to fix it would be internally...through the rectum.  I told him that would not be necessary!  :-O
    TTC#1 since Jan 2015
    BFP 8/29/15
      •  CP (age 37)

TTC#2 since May 2017

BFP 2/16/18
      •  CP (age 39)
    BFP 4/13/18
      •  CP (age 39)

BFP 9/24/18  • 
    CP (age 40)

• Options
    Yeah. I talked with my husband about it and he really does like this guy and feels he has really helped him. He convinced me to give it a few more visits and if I'm not happy, to just stop or find someone else. I think it was the approach that really bothered me. I'm the sort of person who will, at some point, communicate with them about why I found that all so off-putting, whether I continue to go there or not. I just need a little distance so I can do it nicely. Haha. I'm glad to hear your experience didn't require "regular maintenance" @jennOK ! And @CarrieandRoy --I'd have said no to that too!
  • Options
    So, after all of that, i got fired by the chiropractor today because I couldn't relax for him to work on my upper back and neck. Haha. I've never been fired from anything before! But that's ok. The feeling was mutual and the two adjustments I had on my hips did seem to help a bit. Onward and upward! If pain returns, I think physical therapy is better for me maybe. Anyway. Thanks to all for your input and support.