Breastfeeding
Options

Nipples killing me

LouislLouisl member
edited October 2015 in Breastfeeding
New to this so this is probably a rookie question but my left nipple is killing me right now!! I use earth angel nipple butter and gel soothie but this is a deeper pain than just the outer nipple skin. It feels like the end of my breast is on fire help! Can barely type.

Re: Nipples killing me

• Options
    My right nipple felt like this constantly until I had his tongue tie clipped. Has your little one been checked? Could it be from a shallow latch? I used lanolin ointment all the time and ice packs.
  • Options
    Yeah apparently his latch is great (but still bloody nipples...?). This is like a deep burning in the breast itself. I should reword this thread. Wondering about plugged ducts?
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    From my understanding, plugged ducts are a hard spot (feels like a small rock under the skin) that's tender on the breast. I haven't heard of having plugged ducts right around the nipple.
  • Options
    I'm experiencing something similar too. Just started today, my nipples were cracked and bleeding at first, but got them under control after seeing a LC early this week. Now my nipples are burning and even my breast feel like they are burning after BFing.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Look up vasospasms in breastfeeding. I feel the same way with that deep burning pain, but have not found relief, yet :(
  • Options
    Sounds Le it could be yeast. My right nipple has been burning so I looked up my symptoms. .. I'm asking my Dr about it tomorrow.
  • Options
    Is it let down when you start feeding or does it happen all the time
  • Options
    I was having the same burning pain on nipple and deep in the breast. I thought it was vasospasm. My daughter had no signs of thrush at the time. The pain got worse! I tried a recipe for APNO (all purpose nipple ointment) and probiotics, my symptoms were better in minutes!! That's how I knew we had thrush. It is severly painful. Its been a week and it is slowling getting better. Please ask for help right away, don't let it get too bad and out of control!
  • Options
    Sound like yeast infection (thrush) in your milk ducts.
  • Options

I was having the same burning pain on nipple and deep in the breast. I thought it was vasospasm. My daughter had no signs of thrush at the time. The pain got worse! I tried a recipe for APNO (all purpose nipple ointment) and probiotics, my symptoms were better in minutes!! That's how I knew we had thrush. It is severly painful. Its been a week and it is slowling getting better. Please ask for help right away, don't let it get too bad and out of control!

Do you take the probiotics orally or are they in the nipple cream? I've never had thrush but it seems to be a common problem so I'm wondering if it would be worth it to take oral probiotics.