Babies: 0 - 3 Months
Options

Days and Nights Confused?

Good Morning-- My little guy is 6 weeks and I am wondering what it looks like when days and nights are confused. He will take 2-3 hour naps during the day, be awake for a little bit but mostly sleeps. In the evenings he will have one 2.5 hr stretch but then get up every 1.5-2h. He will go right back to bed (I have to walk and shush him) but I am wondering why he is not sleeping during the night 3 hours. 

Also, would you recommend waking the baby up during the day after a 2 hour nap or should I just let him sleep? I get different advice from different people.

Thanks in advance

Re: Days and Nights Confused?

• Options
    My daughter's six weeks tomorrow and does the same thing sometimes. I never wake a sleeping baby. I hear that they start catching on 6-8 weeks...may be ours are just night owls!
  • Options
    Keep day time interactive and bright. I personally would not wake a sleeping baby that eats well and is gaining appropriately. Go for walks, have tummy time, and let baby nap. At night keep lights dim, talk less, low noise, try a sleep machine. Baby will figure it out.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thanks ladies. I think I am going to just keep going. It's so exhausting and frustrating when he wakes 1.5 hrs later. He will eat for less than 5 minutes and go back to sleep. Ugh. Thanks a lot!

• Options
    Hmschultz said:
    Thanks ladies. I think I am going to just keep going. It's so exhausting and frustrating when he wakes 1.5 hrs later. He will eat for less than 5 minutes and go back to sleep. Ugh. Thanks a lot!

It is frustrating but it will get better, I promise. Just know that this is totally normal and it will pass.
  • Options
    I'm having similar issues. I try to keep it bright during the day and dim at night but once she gets up at night for her late feeding (like between 1-3 am?) she is wide awake and will not go back down, we walk her, rock her, try music, white noise. I don't know what else to do. Anyone have any other suggestions??
  • Options
    trishee13 said:
    I'm having similar issues. I try to keep it bright during the day and dim at night but once she gets up at night for her late feeding (like between 1-3 am?) she is wide awake and will not go back down, we walk her, rock her, try music, white noise. I don't know what else to do. Anyone have any other suggestions??

This really is just  a normal pattern for a baby that age. They ALL do this unfortunately. I watched a lot of TV in the middle of the night with each of my kids in the first 6-8 weeks or so because they would be up for 1-2 hours at a time.

Time is the only thing that will help which I'm sure is the last thing you want to hear!

• Options
    For me, it always helped to know that I wasn't doing anything to cause this and there was nothing I needed to do because it was a normal part of life with a baby. Being up in the night for 2 hours at a time, taking short crappy naps, etc, all of it was easier for me to get through when I knew it was NORMAL. I adjusted my expectations and that made life so much easier.