Multiples

Twins..different sizes

I am 32 weeks with faternal twin boys. We just found out one is 5lbs 11 oz and the other is 4lbs 4oz. Anyone else have their twins such different sizes? If yes...did you deliver earlier then you thought?

Re: Twins..different sizes

• I had my twin girls in July at 37 weeks. One was 6 lbs 12oz and they other was 5lbs 7oz. My doctor was not really concerned about the size because we knew they we would both be over 5lbs at birth. If you are concerned about TTTS talk to your doctor about their size.
  • As far as I know, TTTS only happens when twins share a placenta. Ie., identical twins. Since you know they're fraternal I'm guessing yours are di/di twins? If so, then they have a placenta each and TTTS shouldn't be an issue.

I've heard of many fraternal twins being different sizes throughout pregnancy. Sometimes it could be one egg was fertilized/implanted earlier than the other. I've never heard of it being an issue though, especially with di/di twins.

And please somebody correct me if any of my info is wrong!
  • Loading the player...
  • Thanks...and yes they are di/di i am seeing my doc monday so will ask...but feel better already!
  • They have a way to calculate the difference in size. They only get worried if there's a big difference, meaning one twin is taking almost everything. Yours is a little bit bigger difference than mine was, but still not huge. I was never close to the worry point either. I wouldn't worry too much about it. My girls were born at 38w2d weighing in at 6lbs 13oz and 7lbs 6 oz.

Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• They have a way to calculate the difference in size. They only get worried if there's a big difference, meaning one twin is taking almost everything. Yours is a little bit bigger difference than mine was, but still not huge. I was never close to the worry point either. I wouldn't worry too much about it. My girls were born at 38w2d weighing in at 6lbs 13oz and 7lbs 6 oz.

Our twins are di/di fraternal and they are constantly changing who is bigger. Our doctors aren't concerned unless their difference in sizes becomes more than 20%.
  • My fraternal boys were almost exactly a pound apart when they were born (at 36 weeks). Now the one who was smaller at birth is the bigger kid. But they are both doing great :)
    Married 07.07.07. Mom to 3: Ruby 11/08 and Oliver & Austin 12/11
  • @Goodsuri those are some GREAT sized babies for 32 weeks! Right?  I would love to have 4 lb babies by 32 weeks (in fact, that's my goal).  Out of sheer curiosity, do you remember what they weighed around 24 weeks?

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • @happyandhopeful3 these are great sizes for twins at 32 weeks..so i am happy and the doc said everything looks good. At 24 weeks they were 1lb 13 oz...and 1 lb 8oz.
  • I had my twins at 38 weeks in June. Our little girl was 5lbs 11 oz and our little boy was 7lbs 4oz. My DD has stayed petite and my doctor said they would have probably been the same size had they been separate pregnancies.