September 2015 Moms

Honest Co. Diaper rash cream nightmare

So last night I used this diaper cream for the first time on my daughter and it was a complete nightmare, she immediately began screaming in total pain and my husband and I instantly wiped the cream off but it already done it's damage, her entire butt was completely inflamed and look like it was actually burned like the first layer of skin burned off. Has anybody had this reaction from the honest company diaper cream?!!! Or do you think my little one is just allergic to it? We had two hours of nonstop screaming in agony and it was absolute torture, the only thing that helped was putting her in warm water to relieve the pain. My husband and I almost snapped last night from it, and we were so fried and burned out from the aftermath of it.

Re: Honest Co. Diaper rash cream nightmare

• According to their website the ingredients are:

Helianthus Annuus (Sunflower) Seed Oil*, Cera Alba (Beeswax), Olea Europaea (Olive) Fruit Oil, Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Oil*, Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea Butter), Calophyllum Tacamahaca (Tamanu) Oil, Calendula Officinalis Flower Extract*, Anthemis Nobilis (Chamomile) Oil*, Tocopherol (Non-GMO)

It's possible your baby is allergic to one of them. Have you asked your pediatrician about it?

*Siggy Warning*

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I haven't used it but the same thing happened to my LO with desitin. I've been using baby aquaphor instead and occasionally Burts bees diaper cream with great results
  • Loading the player...
  • Poor LO. We use baby vaseline.

Hang in there, mama.
  • I use their Organic Healing Balm as our diaper cream and it worked wonders for both me and DD. I had a bad rash from the adhesive they used in the hospital and it cleared up in 1-2 days. Baby girl had a pretty bad, raw rash in her skin folds and it was almost gone in 24hrs.
  • I only use coconut oil and my baby has never had a rash.
  • I don't know, maybe she is allergic to something in it? The hard part would be to figure out which of those Oils she is allergic to. I did not call the pediatrician since our friend is a pediatric nurse and she told us to put Vaseline on the butt and that helped reduce the pain immensely. So from here on out should I just keep using the Vaseline do you think? I know you were supposed to keep the babies but is dry as possible, I really just want this skin breakdown to heal as quick as possible, i'm terrified of it getting any worse. The worst part is I could probably try another cream but I am utterly petrified after what happened last night.
  • We used Vaseline every time. No rashes yet! I have A&D cream on standby if LO ever gets a rash. I fan LO bottom with whatever is by there, normally a fresh diaper, to get him dry down there. Then just a little Vaseline. I'm so sorry that happened, I would have been beside myself, too!
  • We use Bordeaux's Natural Butt Paste for diaper rash and love it. It cleared up our little guy's diaper rash in a few days. If you wanted to try something next time, maybe do a small test spot with the new cream and wait to make sure there's no reaction.

We also have switched wipes after baby got a diaper rash. We were using Pampers Sensitive but found they were SO wet. We switched to BabyGanics and they are much less wet and seem to not irritate him as much. Once those are gone though, we're going to switch to Water Wipes. Target sells these and they're 99% water and 1% fruit extract, no other chemicals. It's a nice alternative to using a washcloth/paper towel and water. While she has the rash, I would stop using wipes and either use a paper towel and water or buy the Water Wipes.
  • We've been using Honest Healing Balm on LOs bum and it's been working great but there's no way to know what your LO will react or not react to.

Hope your LOs bottom feels better soon and that you find something that works!!
  • I used the Honest Co. diaper rash cream on DD and it worked great! I'm sorry your LO had such a bad reaction, it does look like it's an allergy. You should definitely mention it to your pediatrician because many of those oils are found in other body products or food, so you will want to know which ingredient LO is allergic to so you can avoid other products or foods when she's older.
  • We use Burt's Bee's diaper cream. It clears up the rash within a day! I try to mainly use cloth wipes with water but he has Gotten a rash twice since birth. This cream cleared it in a day both times. Then we also use coconut oil a lot.
  • Do you put Vaseline on at every diaper change?? Is this to prevent a rash?
  • Sully3302 said:

Do you put Vaseline on at every diaper change?? Is this to prevent a rash?

Idk who this was directed to exactly...but I will answer! Lol! I use it each time. I don't use a lot. Just a tiny amount all around his bum. It helps the poo wipe off easier, and I imagine it feels a little better.
  • BrandiLaw87BrandiLaw87 member
    edited October 2015
    ^^ I totally agree! And because the vaseline also provides a barrier between the skin and baby's poop/pee, it can help prevent diaper rash.
    I prefer the Live Clean non-petroleum jelly. When DS was an infant it was the only thing that worked on a bad diaper rash he had while teething, so I just automatically started using it with LO. I put a little on her bum after every change.
  • edited October 2022
    This JUST happened to me, Oct 22. The reaction looks like a burn. Spot testing things moving forward. :(