Multiples

Working throughout your pregnancy?

Just wondering how common it is to be able to keep working until the end of a pregnancy with multiples? Currently am 9 weeks pregnant with twins and am the breadwinner of the family (husband stays home with DS). Really hoping to be able to stay working until the very end like last time, but it seems that most people end up leaving work early. Just looking for other people's experiences, thanks in advance!

Re: Working throughout your pregnancy?

• I worked as an RN until 33 weeks but then I started having contractions & had to stop. I'm currently just over 34 weeks & am happy I stopped last week. I probably could've worked longer if I didn't have a physically demanding job although sleep is becoming less adequate & even sitting for a period of time is uncomfortable. I just took it appointment to appointment & said I would know when it was time to stop. My body definitely let me know :)
    DH & I married 12/17/2012
    Me (31)-dx w/PCOS 2007, when married to ex-husband after MC
    DH (41)-no MFI
    07/2014-Femara 5mg + trigger + IUI= chem preg ;(
    08/2014-Femara 5mg + trigger + IUI + 2nd trigger= BFN
    09/2014-Clomid 100mg + trigger + IUI + 2nd trigger= BFN
    10/2014-benched due to RE out of town, tying naturally!
    11/2014-benched due to cyst
    12/2014-Femara 5mg + stair step with additional 5 days Femara 5mg + trigger + IUI=BFN
    01/2015-Femara 5mg + Gonal F 25 units + trigger (plus additional Gonal F 100 units on trigger night) + IUI= BFP!!! Twins due 10/2015
    09/28/2015- Surprise!  Conrad and Hudson born at 35w6d!  
  • I am on my feet 8 hours a day, constantly going for my job. I had a scheduled c-section at 38w2d. I worked right up until the day before. My back killed, my feet hurt, I had to wear a belly support band, my hips hurt, and I was so tired. BUT, it wasn't anything I couldn't live with. My thoughts were this: I only get 12 weeks of fmla a year. If I took off weeks before the girls were born, I'd have much less time with them afterwards. I wanted as much time with them as possible. Knowing I'd soon have them here was enough to push me through.

Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • I am 20 weeks and am student teaching in an elementary school right now. I'll be finishing up at 32 weeks and graduating at 32.5 weeks. I'm just hoping to make it until them without huge issues. The increase in OB appointments, ultrasounds, and non-stress tests already has me worried because my university only 'allows' student teachers to miss 3 days total for the semester and I have already used one of them. After that I'm golden though and will be home with all of my kids until the following July.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
                    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I was working retail while pregnant with my twins. I worked up until 32 and then decided to quit because I didn't want to go into preterm labor walking around all day. I made it to my csection date at 38+1 weeks. I think it depends what you do, if you sit in an office you can probably work up until you delivery, if you have no complications. I probably could have worked longer but I was getting so tired and sore from standing and walking so much so I decided to stop.

BabyFetus TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I'm 23.2 with di di boy girl twins. About a week ago my doctor told me I can't work much longer I'm on my feet teaching for 10 hours a day (charter school) and am at work for about 60-70 hours a week. She said if I worked someplace else I could go longer, but my blood pressure is so elevated by the end of the day she doesn't think it's a good idea. I'm going to be soooo bored. (Going part time would mess up my maternity leave so I can't do that!)
  • I am trying to figure this out too (I'm only 8 weeks). I run a wedding flower business out of my home and I'm the main designer - I have helpers, but no one that 'knows it all'. I'm trying to decide when my last weddings should be. So far my last one is at 36 weeks but now that I just found out I'm having twins I think that's a bad idea and will cause stress just thinking about it. Ah, the unpredictable!!
  • I am on my feet 8 hours a day, constantly going for my job. I had a scheduled c-section at 38w2d. I worked right up until the day before. My back killed, my feet hurt, I had to wear a belly support band, my hips hurt, and I was so tired. BUT, it wasn't anything I couldn't live with. My thoughts were this: I only get 12 weeks of fmla a year. If I took off weeks before the girls were born, I'd have much less time with them afterwards. I wanted as much time with them as possible. Knowing I'd soon have them here was enough to push me through.

This exactly. I worked until the day before they were born and it was definitely uncomfortable but I have a desk job so I was able to deal with it. It was worth it to have more time after. Also they were in the NICU for two weeks so that ate up some of my leave too.
  • I work an office job, but commute an hours each way by train/walking. My doctor put me on work from home restrictions at 24 weeks and then I was able to work until I was induced at 38 weeks.
  • EmJ628 said:

I am on my feet 8 hours a day, constantly going for my job. I had a scheduled c-section at 38w2d. I worked right up until the day before. My back killed, my feet hurt, I had to wear a belly support band, my hips hurt, and I was so tired. BUT, it wasn't anything I couldn't live with. My thoughts were this: I only get 12 weeks of fmla a year. If I took off weeks before the girls were born, I'd have much less time with them afterwards. I wanted as much time with them as possible. Knowing I'd soon have them here was enough to push me through.

This exactly. I worked until the day before they were born and it was definitely uncomfortable but I have a desk job so I was able to deal with it. It was worth it to have more time after. Also they were in the NICU for two weeks so that ate up some of my leave too.
    Are you in CA? I thought you get 4 weeks prior to delivery and then 12 weeks after? If you don't use the 4 weeks before you can't get it back. Is this all correct?
    1st child DOB 9/3/02

SO and I met 6/25/06

Married 9/2/12

Due date 1/16/16 with our twins!
  • I am in SC. We only get 12 wks total and my employer would not allow me to use FMLA prior to them being born unless I was put on bed rest. And even then it would count toward my 12 weeks. The only way to take time prior to their birth would be to take vacation days.
  • I'm a Nicu RN. I stopped working with my twin boys at 30 weeks due to the physical demands. My doctors said anytime after 28
    Weeks with twins was acceptable to stop working and let them know when I was done. The night after my last shift my water broke and I delivered right at 31 weeks. My boys are doing well and taking twin a home today and b home tomorrow if all goes well.

Listen to your body, I knew when I was done and maybe should have even stopped earlier.
  • For everyone who worked until they delivered do you mind me asking what size you were before getting pregnant? I'm only 5ft tall and at 13 weeks I'm already in so much pain. I work on my feet anywhere from 8 to 12 hours a day and I'm really hoping to make it at far as possible.
  • I think it depends on the job too. 

I am a teacher, on my feet all day in a large high school. I had to stop working at 32 weeks. I was measuring about 40 weeks by that time though. I also had to stop driving a few weeks after that because I am short (5'2) and couldn't fit behind the wheel anymore.

Married 07/2011 <3
    ID Twin girls 04/2012 <3<3
    Baby #3 Due Jan. 2017  <3

• I'm a home care nurse and my last day is tomorrow at nearly 29 weeks. My OB's concern was mostly with the amount of lifting/transferring I do and also that I work alone. If something were to happen I couldn't just leave work immediately. She said the only person she knows who worked until her due date with twins is her receptionist! But if you work in an OB's office, you're probably safest at work!

I'm going on disability until my maternity leave.
  • I'm starting my maternity leave at 32 weeks. My doctor has already okayed it. I currently work a desk job in case management with a caseload of 91, very stressful, and I commute 79 miles each way. 79 miles normally takes 1 hr 15 mins when no traffic but during work hours it takes at least 2 hrs each way. My back pain is insane and I just can't do the drive anymore so she has approved my leave early. I'll be on disability. In CA we get 4 weeks prior to delivery but if your doctor requests longer for medical reasons then you get longer. It doesn't affect the 12 weeks we receive after delivery so we are very lucky here.
    1st child DOB 9/3/02

SO and I met 6/25/06

Married 9/2/12

Due date 1/16/16 with our twins!