February 2016 Moms

Official Labor Buddies Thread

AdventureMamaAdventureMama member
edited October 2015 in February 2016 Moms
It's that time, friends! Let's pick labor buddies!

First of all, let's get some FAQ out of the way.

What is a labor buddy?
A LB is just someone from the board to become closer to through PMs, emails, texts, whatever you like. Chat with them, ask them questions and answer theirs, and, if they want you to, update the board when they're in labor or need our T&Ps. The LB relationship can be whatever you make it!

I'm worried about privacy! What do I have to share with my LB?
Whatever you want! It's totally up to you. At minimum, you guys should chat a bit and get to know each other here on TB, through private messages. But some people want to email each other, text, become Facebook friends. Whatever you and your buddy are comfortable with is totally fine.

Do I have to have a LB?
No. Participation is not mandatory, it's just a fun thing to do.

What happens if my LB drops off the face of the planet?
This happens sometimes. It's a bummer, but think of it as an opportunity to meet someone new! If this happens to you, it should be no problem to find you someone new. Just come back to this thread and comment and we'll make it happen.

Is there a deadline to sign up?
It will most likely take us a few weeks to get people paired up, but new people join the board all the time (and other posters drop out of sight, too), so we'll keep this thread pinned and you can decide to grab yourself a buddy anytime. Be aware that if you don't sign up now, you may be stuck waiting until someone else is ready for a buddy, but I don't foresee it being a problem.

Can I choose my own LB?
Sure! You may have already hit it off with someone from the board, and that's awesome! Just comment and let me know (by tagging the person) who you want to be paired with and it will be noted on the spreadsheet. 

What if I don't have anyone in mind?
Don't worry, this won't be like middle school gym class. We'll randomly assign people to be together, no need to feel left out. I imagine that most people won't already have someone in mind, so you won't be alone.

What factors matter in choosing/being assigned to a LB?
Due date is the only thing that really matters. We want to pair you with someone that has a due date at least a week or two away from yours, ideally, so that you won't be in labor at the same time! If you're a FTM, you may request to be paired up with a STM+, if you know you'll have questions and want a more experienced buddy. This is not a necessity, though!

Are scheduled c-section mamas included?
Absolutely everyone having a baby in February who wants to participate is included!

So, what do you need to do? Simple! Comment on this thread with your due date and let us know if you already have a buddy (please talk to that person privately before claiming them, though!) or if you'd like to be randomly assigned. Please note if you have any other preferences for who you're assigned to, and if you prefer texting/email/FB, or keeping it on TB. Easy enough, right? :) I will work on a spreadsheet (which I will link here in this first post when I create it) and I will also comment periodically and tag the people who I've assigned to each other. It won't be immediate so just check your notifications/come back to this thread when you think about it and see if you've been assigned yet. Then have fun getting to know each other!

Feel free to ask any other questions and I'll answer them as best I can! If they're common enough, I'll edit this post and add it here so everyone can read it. Other than that, let's attempt to keep this thread as chatter-free as possible so we don't have to parse through a bunch of pages to find the info we need. Thanks guys!

Married 8.5.12
Caleb born 10.9.13
2.0 due 2.1.16

Re: Official Labor Buddies Thread