February 2016 Moms
Options

craziest item you've ever seen on a registry

what's the craziest or most eye roll worthy thing you've seen on a registry?

I know there is more freedom with a wedding registry but my husband put a subwoofer on it- I promptly deleted it and told him it was inappropriate.

*Kate*

February 2016

Re: craziest item you've ever seen on a registry

• Options
    Our registry will definitely have some home decor on it. Mainly because this is baby #3, we aren't having a shower, we're in it for the coupon and we're closing on our house soon and need some new decor so why not!

I haven't seen any awful things just some stupid things. For ex: a wipe warmer
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Twindling said:
    Our registry will definitely have some home decor on it. Mainly because this is baby #3, we aren't having a shower, we're in it for the coupon and we're closing on our house soon and need some new decor so why not! I haven't seen any awful things just some stupid things. For ex: a wipe warmer
    Is it public? 

I haven't seen weird things on a registry but I did just learn about mybabybond.com. It's a "time" registry. Similar to gofundme, you select how much time you want and people can donate to you. It starts at $10 for half an hour and goes up to a week for $800. When I looked at it this morning, there's only been 4 users, but I can see our entitled society taking advantage.

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBabysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker
  • Options
    I side eye a pee pee teepee on a registry. Not necessarily the couple who put it on the registry but more the inventors tricking naive boy moms into thinking that would do anything useful.
  • Options
    SoSirius said:

I side eye a pee pee teepee on a registry. Not necessarily the couple who put it on the registry but more the inventors tricking naive boy moms into thinking that would do anything useful.

I actually found these useful, especially if I was cleaning up a really messy diaper and ds would be exposed for a while. I saved myself from being peed on many times.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
    Feb 2016 Siggy Challenge, Favorite Thing About Fall
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options
    The baby registries I've seen have been pretty tame.  I did see industrial size coffee urns on a wedding registry a few years back.  That was just weird.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    I side eye people who put lots of fancy dinnerware on their registry if I know the couple and know they will never in 100 years use it. I think they assume they have to because that's what even the knot tells them to do

Someone I know registered for a ton of babt clothes, and for a ton of clothes for herself on her baby registry. Side eyeing because she just posted on fb about how many clothes she has and she didn't scan actual things you need to care for a baby just clothes and a couple random little other bedroom decor items.
    It's her 3rd but she threw away everything from her first kids
  • Options
    wisco29 said:
    I side eye people who put lots of fancy dinnerware on their registry if I know the couple and know they will never in 100 years use it. I think they assume they have to because that's what even the knot tells them to do Someone I know registered for a ton of babt clothes, and for a ton of clothes for herself on her baby registry. Side eyeing because she just posted on fb about how many clothes she has and she didn't scan actual things you need to care for a baby just clothes and a couple random little other bedroom decor items. It's her 3rd but she threw away everything from her first kids
    Clothes for myself. Why did I not think of that? I wonder if she did that for the coupon and how many people saw that and scoffed.

• Options

Twindling said:

Our registry will definitely have some home decor on it. Mainly because this is baby #3, we aren't having a shower, we're in it for the coupon and we're closing on our house soon and need some new decor so why not!

Is it public? 

I haven't seen weird things on a registry but I did just learn about mybabybond.com. It's a "time" registry. Similar to gofundme, you select how much time you want and people can donate to you. It starts at $10 for half an hour and goes up to a week for $800. When I looked at it this morning, there's only been 4 users, but I can see our entitled society taking advantage.

It is public but we haven't told anyone we registered. We also set the due date for nov 30 so that I'd get my completion coupon to use for Black Friday. Right now it just has a few baby items on it but we will add the home decor stuff probably the day before Black Friday when we go shopping.
  • Options
    Twindling said:
    It is public but we haven't told anyone we registered. We also set the due date for nov 30 so that I'd get my completion coupon to use for Black Friday. Right now it just has a few baby items on it but we will add the home decor stuff probably the day before Black Friday when we go shopping.
    Good idea!

• Options
    Twindling said:

The wipe warmer rocks! Seriously. I side-eyed it my first pregnancy too but was given one for my second so I thought what the heck I'll try it out. In the middle of the night when baby is sleepy the warm wipes made a huge difference in keeping her calm and sleepy rather than the cold touching her bum. Who would have thought?
    Baby #3 due February. Dx with Spina Bifida Myelo  "good things are coming down the road, just don't stop walking"
  • Options
    I mostly eye roll stuff that new mamas put on their registry that I would never use. It's not so much them, just that I find the fact that some of these things even exist exhausting. Seriously, I can't stand the formula keurig type things. Just why?!? I had a bookshelf and some storage bins on ours for a while because I wanted to convert it into a "closet" for the twins since we have no storage for their clothing, but I took it off because I thought people would think it was stupid.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
                    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I've seen potty training things which is super weird. That's way too far off. Also, things for older siblings.

My friend's husband got ahold of the gun when they registered for their wedding and he put giant bags of candy. That wad kinds of funny.

• Options

wisco29 said:

I side eye people who put lots of fancy dinnerware on their registry if I know the couple and know they will never in 100 years use it. I think they assume they have to because that's what even the knot tells them to do

Someone I know registered for a ton of babt clothes, and for a ton of clothes for herself on her baby registry. Side eyeing because she just posted on fb about how many clothes she has and she didn't scan actual things you need to care for a baby just clothes and a couple random little other bedroom decor items.
    It's her 3rd but she threw away everything from her first kids

Clothes for myself. Why did I not think of that? I wonder if she did that for the coupon and how many people saw that and scoffed.

No.... She is throwing herself the shower. So it's just all about the gifts
  • Options
    I've seen stuff obviously for older siblings on registries.  

Mom to Benjamin 6/2011 and Lena 5/2013; baby 3 on the way

• Options
    I registry stalk FTMs and mentally judge every item. "Don't need that. Waste of money. Do you know how many chemicals are in that? Ohh, that's a good idea." Etc.

Of the more typical items, I side eye lengthy lists of clothing the most (I have to hunt down this specific outfit you scanned 5 months ago?)

I also had a friend that did the book instead of card request (tacky), then registered for a bunch of books so people could buy off that list (from that store) and not duplicate. Extra tacky.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    @NoelBird, maybe I'm lucky but DS has never peed on me. I just threw a wipe on him and gave him a second before proceeding to clean him.
  • Options
    We'll be putting all kinds of stuff on our registry for the completion coupon, but not until after my shower. I'll most definitely have stuff on there for my 2.5 year old son, because why not?
    BabyFruit Ticker Follow my baby story at: http://www.nycitified.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    with DD I had a belly band and the shrinkx hips on my registry but they were just for me, I wanted to get them with the completion coupon!  I'm sure someone saw them and thought "wtf??"

Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I don't know enough about babies to really judge people's baby registries, to be honest (or at least I didn't before getting pregnant) but tomorrow we are going to a wedding and the couple registered for a bunch of home furnishing stuff as is typical AND a bunch of giftcards: iTunes, Dominos, Netflix, an X-box subscription of some sort, Starbucks, etc. Just seemed a little weird. They also had a giant flat screen TV, a very expensive Bose speaker system, and a few other very high-priced electronics ($500+). I side-eye that.
  • Options
    PaniaOPaniaO member
    edited October 2015
    I put nursing bras and tanks on mine--and I feel silly because it looks like just clothes for me,...but I did it anyway. >:D<
    Edited because autocorrect hates me.
    S & A married 8.12.2013
    Expecting Saulie O 2.12.2016
  • Options
    What's wrong with books vs. cards? Am I missing something? @VitaLuna
  • Options
    PaniaO said:

I put nursing bras and tanks on mine--and I feel silly because it looks like just clothes for me,...but I did it anyway. >:D<
    Edited because autocorrect hates me.

I might do this after my shower.

• Options
    Lots of judging going on in this thread, enough to make a first time mom feel really insecure. Aren't we supposed to be lifting fellow mamas up and supporting them instead of making them feel terrible about themselves? Does it honestly bother you that much what someone puts on their registry? I don't get it.
  • Options

Etiquette says you cannot dictate to others what gifts to buy.
  • Options

Lots of judging going on in this thread, enough to make a first time mom feel really insecure. Aren't we supposed to be lifting fellow mamas up and supporting them instead of making them feel terrible about themselves? Does it honestly bother you that much what someone puts on their registry? I don't get it.

There is some, but it's called crazy things for a reason and if you read the original post it's what people rolled their eyes at when looking at someone else's registry.

I'll give you that stm's+ can be very harsh towards ftm's sometimesi I don't see that here since this thread is FoR eye rolling... Try just taking those comments with a grain of salt!! Some of the things they say are interesting, or helpful. (I'm a stm but dealt with some mean stm on my first board so I remember all too well...)
  • Options
    The main things I really eye roll on people's registry are the super high dollar items-- my thought is if u feel u need the most expensive crib/car seat/stroller that's fine, but u should purchase it for yourself and not have it on ur registry. However, I know some moms just put everything on their registry to keep it all together in one spot but know (and expect ) they will be purchasing the high dollar items themselves
  • Options
    koridremowkoridremow member
    edited October 2015
    Achae said:

Etiquette says you cannot dictate to others what gifts to buy.</blockquote
  • Options
    @Achae original poster said her husband put a subwoofer on their registry... That's crazy. A wipe warmer? Not so crazy.
  • Options

It's a really sweet idea, but books typically cost more than cards. It's like asking for another gift with your gift. That being said, a friend of mine did this, and I really liked shopping for the book. I just spent a little less on her gift than I would have because I bought a $15 book.

If you're thinking of doing this, you might say "consider giving a book instead of a card for baby's library" so guests don't feel like they HAVE to buy an extra thing.
  • Options
  • Options
    @Achae original poster said her husband put a subwoofer on their registry... That's crazy. A wipe warmer? Not so crazy.
    So it's okay for you to judge but not others. Got it.
  • Options

The main things I really eye roll on people's registry are the super high dollar items-- my thought is if u feel u need the most expensive crib/car seat/stroller that's fine, but u should purchase it for yourself and not have it on ur registry. However, I know some moms just put everything on their registry to keep it all together in one spot but know (and expect ) they will be purchasing the high dollar items themselves

I did put the high dollar items on there, but I've also told everyone that the registry is just a list, and they didn't have to buy specifically what's on there. It's mostly for ideas. I also am doing the books instead of cards, but I'm totally ok with hand me downs and goodwill finds.
  • Options
    VitaLuna said:

@koridremow What @cantobean and @Achae said, it is often seen as tacky or poor etiquette because you're telling someone what to get for you, in addition to what they already bought or were planning to buy. This girl also had a diaper raffle and BYOB.. major tacky all in one party.

Also, in your response to you thinking this is a judgy pants mean thread.. It's designed for fun, to joke and liven up the (incredibly boring) board. Lighten up :)

@VitaLuna I'm sorry if I came off as a tight wad, I was genuinely curious as to why the books would be considered tacky and I appreciate the explanation. Did not mean to start an argument with complete strangers over an Internet message board thread, just want to rally around my fellow mamas and support them instead of bringing them down. again, had no intention of creating drama. I'm light as a feather ;)