Multiples
Options

Maternity Leave

I'm curious for some advice on this topic. If it were up to me I would start leave right this minute but of course I can't. So, my situation. I am currently 26 weeks and due 1/16/16. I do plan to take my 4 weeks of leave BUT, what I would like my doctor to do is begin my leave sooner. I currently commute 1.5 to 2 hours each way to work, depending on the traffic, and I am just plain exhausted. I'm also in grad school but at least that is online. A lot of work but I am managing. Twins are considered full term at 37 or 38 weeks, I forget which one, so why isn't she able to use that as my due date so that I can start leave sooner? I honestly do not think I can go until mid-December this way. I'm already so exhausted. I hope I'm not coming across sounding like a big baby. Has anyone ever asked their doctor to base their due date off 37 or 38 weeks so that they could begin leave sooner?
1st child DOB 9/3/02

SO and I met 6/25/06

Married 9/2/12

Due date 1/16/16 with our twins!

Re: Maternity Leave

• Options
    Twins are considered full term at 37 weeks, however, most doctors try to get you to 38 weeks. I had my scheduled c-section at 38w2d. They can't change your due date just because you want them to, because it's already there. However, my doctor asked me if I wanted to start leave sooner. She said she'd do it if I wanted. I didn't, I worked up until 38 weeks. Only took 2 days of before they were born, to get everything ready, and spend time with ds as an only child. You wrote that you only get 4 weeks off? That seems very odd to me. If you started your leave early, that's just that much less time you get with your twins. That's why I didn't start mine early. I wanted every minute with my kids, not sitting around bored waiting for them to be born. Obviously you need to do what's best for you. But if starting your leave early is what's best, you don't have to change your due date. Your doctor just has to give a reason it's medically necessary to start it early.

Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    Your dr can write you out for disability at any time they want. 4 weeks before your due date is "typical" but my dr said with twins she usually has no problem writing patients out at 28 weeks (with no complications). Ask your dr-tell him/her you're downright miserable.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    It depends on the doctor too. The MFM doc said he would write me a note at 24-28 weeks and then didn't talk to him again because everything was going OK. My regular OB wrote me note for off at 34 weeks and at my last OB appt I just happened to see another OB who gave my note at 32 weeks. You meant 4 weeks off pre-delivery right? I'm using sick leave for the time I am off pre-delivery and it doesn't impact the time off I have later so what better time than now to take off. When comparing notes to other twin moms I met, their doctor took them off at 32 weeks too.
  • Options
    Thanks everyone :)
    I'm waiting to hear back from my doctor.
    1st child DOB 9/3/02

SO and I met 6/25/06

Married 9/2/12

• Options
    Is anyone here in CA? I have a couple questions about SDI and FMLA.
    4 weeks before delivery are permitted at half pay and 12 weeks after? These are both state disability? If your doctor puts you in disability sooner or longer does that still count as disability you can be paid for?
    1st child DOB 9/3/02

SO and I met 6/25/06

Married 9/2/12