Working Moms

Job Interview at 15 weeks pregnant

Hello everyone! I don't post often, but I have a bit of a dilemma and could use some advice. I submitted my resume for a job two days before I found out I was pregnant. Five weeks went by and I assumed they weren't considering me, but they called to set up a Skype interview, which I did. I thought it went poorly and wasn't going to worry about it since we have a baby on the way. But I just received an email that they would like me to come in for an interview next week. I will be 15 weeks pregnant. I don't like my current job, and this new job is more along the lines of what I'm used to doing, and it pays $12,000 more per year, which means I can pay for daycare without changing our budget around. Plus the office where I would be working is about 5 minutes from my top two daycares that I have picked out. The job is with the city government where I live. How do I handle telling them I'm pregnant? Do I tell them during this interview? I know that technically they can't discriminate against me, but they could still say that someone else was more qualified. What happens if I get hired, and then tell them I'm pregnant? I know I don't qualify for FMLA, but we have savings put aside for me to take up to 12 weeks off at no pay, so that part isn't an issue. I just don't want to accept this new job, and then they somehow find a way to fire me when I want to take time off, and I don't want to come across as a liar if I accept the job and don't tell them I'm pregnant. Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Re: Job Interview at 15 weeks pregnant

• Don't say anything. You don't need them to discriminate against you and they very well can even though it's illegal.
  • I wouldn't say a word about being pregnant until you have signed and returned your offer letter. Keep in mind that since you won't qualify for FMLA---and even though you might financially be ok to not work for 12 weeks---they may or may not let you have that much time off, even unpaid. That is something you can negotiate after you have been offered the job. 
    BabyFruit Ticker image
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I was just in this exact same position. I was interviewing for a position at 16-17 weeks. During my interview I wore a loose fitting shirt that wouldn't make me look as pregnant. Once they offered me the positionand I had signed all necessary paperwork, I politely told the boss. This was the best route for me to take because I will be on a 90 day probationary period and I wanted to tell them before I could do anything that could be considered grounds for termination.
  • I went through this at my company with my second child. I told my boss about 3-4 weeks into my job. I'm still with the company 5 years later!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I'm fairly sure my job discriminated against me for a promotion since they later told me that I did the best out of all the candidates in our group... Only to not give the job to any of us. I couldn't hide it by then, you're not being dishonest by protecting yourself.
    Caution though: you might not be eligible for maternity leave if you've only been with the new job for a short time.