December 2014 Moms
Options

Flu shot

Has everyone been getting the flu shot at the 9 month appointment? We got shot #1 but will be getting the #2 soon....anybody have a reaction?

Re: Flu shot

• Options
    We havent reached the 9 month appt yet .. But I'm not sure about it.. Right now DD and I are sick as dogs. How did your LO reacted to the shots?? When my oldest was a baby this wasn't an opinion.. Did your baby get sick, rash??
  • Options
    We got the first of two shots for flu at the 9 mo appt, but I think one dose may be good enough to expose his body to the virus and build recognizing antibodies. We had no reaction but was a little longer napping. Stay healthy!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @BabuR1hope - The first shot only "primes" the immune system for the virus, the second one actually offers the immunity so just doing the first dose isn't really effective. We are definitely doing the #2 dose b/c of how dangerous the flu can be especially for babies. Our didn't have a reaction to shot #1, but it sounds like shot #2 is the one that might be more likely to cause something. 

• Options
    My son just had been wanting to sleep since he got the shot. He is very clingy now too!
  • Options
    I was actually on the fence about the flu shot. So many times people Ive known have gotten sick after (including myself) we just werent sure. LO is sick right now but I think after we may just get the shot. I'm too nervous about her getting the flu.
  • Options
    Please talk to your doctor - you cannot get the flu from the vaccine. The flu is very dangerous to young babies and if they are vaccinated, even if they are exposed they will likely get a milder version. Make your own choice but please be sure it's based in fact. Many children die from the flu each year and most are unvaccinated. 

• Options
    Our doctor never brought this up. I didn't even know it was a thing until I had to take LO into the dr last week for being sick. The MA asked if we would like to get it that day. I wanted to wait until she was 100% better. I am also wondering if any of the immunity I received from the shot is passed through breast milk? We are still nursing a few times a day. Neither the pharmacist or the MA could answer that question. By the time we saw the dr I forgot to ask.
    Anniversary

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Trying to Conceive Event tickers
  • Options
    My LO got the first dose at his 9 month appointment. He had a bad reaction to it, he was throwing up and terrible diarrhea on top of a fever that never went below 102 for 5 days. Before the shot he had never been sick and has not been sick again since.
    He will not be getting the second dose. I am not allowed to get the flu shot due to severe reactions so I guess I passed that down...
  • Options
    Cass005 said:

I was actually on the fence about the flu shot. So many times people Ive known have gotten sick after (including myself) we just werent sure. LO is sick right now but I think after we may just get the shot. I'm too nervous about her getting the flu.

It's not possible to get the flu from the shot. You may have gotten a cold or inflammatory reaction.
    In memory of the baby Hufflepuff and all the angel babies of D14 <3
    imageimage

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Our doctor never brought this up. I didn't even know it was a thing until I had to take LO into the dr last week for being sick. The MA asked if we would like to get it that day. I wanted to wait until she was 100% better. I am also wondering if any of the immunity I received from the shot is passed through breast milk? We are still nursing a few times a day. Neither the pharmacist or the MA could answer that question. By the time we saw the dr I forgot to ask.

Unfortunately antibodies from you can only be passed through breast milk up until about 6 months of age. Though it's still great for them!
    In memory of the baby Hufflepuff and all the angel babies of D14 <3
    imageimage

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    @ColeyCannoli I got super excited to see your name on the board
    D14 - Free For All
    In loving memory of Baby HP42 and all D14 Angel Babies