June 2016 Moms

Fit mama weekly check in?!

2»

Re: Fit mama weekly check in?!

• I would love too! I'm about 6 weeks. I stopped running because I don't feel comfortable running, but I am still walking and my goal is 3 miles every day.
  • Loading the player...
  • Switching my long runs out for swimming in the first Tri. Just got my mile in!
  • now onto the computer, wondering if I can fill my quota of putting 100 posts on here today:) 

@mkemommy, thank you! are you wearing your heart monitor already?

@redheadbride15, are you in the northeast? my family said its miserable:( we just bought a hiking backpack for our DS, youll need to check them out, lifechanger!

ditto @juniortmintz52, no hot yoga:( but power yoga should be fine, listen to your body, also once into your 2nd tri you cant do a bunch of positions, hope that helps!
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • @Wyattnash00 I'm in NJ and it's HORRIBLE right now.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I was big on abdomin work and pretty much cut it out of my workout completely. I still need to talk to my Pilates teacher about her recommendations.
    I took a step cardio class this morning and it kicked my ass (even though I was using a lot of modifications).
  • @wyattnash00 - Yup, this week I decided to just to elliptical work and wore the heart rate monitor.  I get up to 140 after about 10 minutes and then hover between 135-155 for minutes 10-45.  I know the old saying was don't go above 140 but I think that is antiquated.  It was a pretty good measure that I ended up talking to my mom on the elliptical near the end of one of those workouts and I could have a conversation with her.  I was able to complete most short to medium length sentences without being out of breath but I was still working hard.  That said, I don't sweat nearly as much on the elliptical as I do in spin.  I know my heart rate can get up to 170 and even 180 in spin so I'm going to have to take that down a notch (there I'm legitimately out of breath).  I find the monitor helpful as a base measure but I'm all about listening to your body.  If I get dizzy (even at 140) I'll always stop.  And I'm always drinking water while working out...stay hydrated!  
  • Wyattnash00 yup, Boston... It's wet and cold and yucky and I'm gonna be a grumpy pregnant lady if it snows 7 feet again this year... But YES, we will definitely be getting a hiking backpack for baby!
    Me: 40  DH: 43
    Married 5/30/15
    TTC #1 June 2015
    BFP #1 9/28/15, EDD 6/10/16. DS born 5/23/16!
    TTC #2 May 2017
    BFP #2 m/c 11/18/17 5w5d
    BFP #3 12/17/17 EDD 8/25/18. It's a boy!
  • ah @readheadbride15, boston is my hometown, well outside of! the hubs and I keep talking about moving home in a year or so, but those winters you're having dont help! we're both over 35 and from boston, niiiiice:)

thanks @mkemommy, I havent slowed down yet, I guess I should, any reccos on a heart monitor?
  • @wyattnash00 - You don't necessarily have to slow down...guess it all depends on how "all out" you go when working out (I'm known to soak at least one towel in spin).  If you can't catch your breath or say more than a few words (to me this is spin class at about a 170/175 heart rate but could be different for you), a slow down may be in order, but otherwise I plan on doing what I did pre-pregnancy in the first trimester just making sure I stay hydrated and don't get dizzy or breathless.  I use the polar heart rate monitor.  I like the one that straps to your chest (I just tuck it under my sports bra so it stays nice and snug).  Its great because the one I have syncs to most of the elliptical machines and the spin bikes automatically.  If you belong to a gym they might know what ones sync to their machines but polar is pretty universal I gather.  
  • Hi 5 weeks with my second (my first JUST turned one). I currently practice yoga 6 times a week (power and heated) what are your thoughts on continuing? I only did prenatal with my first. Thanks!

Depending on how hot the room is...I think over 100 degrees kid increasing your temp could be an issue. Remember, your baby can't cool himself off!

• Re: abs. Durig my last pregnancy I spoke with a physical therapist who specialized in pregnancy/postpartum and she suggested not doing any and while pregnant and for a full 3 months postpartum. She suggests you let your abs soften to help prevent abdominal separation (diastisis). I have to admit, I am still doing abs at 5 weeks but I will stop by week 8.

• Re: heart rate. I'm not wearing a heart rate monitor but I used to so I feel I can tell when I'm teaching my "all out". At 5 weeks I'm already noticing my tolerance for intensity is decreased. I typically run about an 8-minute mile, I'm at about a 10-minute mile now. I'm defintely making sure I can pass the "talk test" and just trying to take it easier!

• I am definitely interested in doing this! I worked so hard this year to stay in shape and I too don't want it to go to waste. This is my first so any guidance would be great! I'm about 5'4 and 107 pounds. I would love to only gain 35-40 pounds but is that possible???
  • That is totally possible @laurenc517 I only gained 25 or so with my first and it was a very healthy pregnancy.
  • Ditto ^ @laurenc517, I'm petite too, you can workout the whole pregnancy if you feel well enough, I gained 30lbs. Though it's a nice excuse to eat whatever you want! Pregnant ladies are only supposed to have an extra 300 calories a day, which isn't much
  • Yeah I'm only 4"11 so it's possible!!
  • I'm interested! I work out normally 5 days a week. I got my BFP and then did a 3.5 mile run LOL. Usually run and do spin! I was doing weight lifting classes, but I have a back injury from work so I've had to slow down. I'm going to keep at my own pace, and if I feel terrible just stop.
  • Love this! I work out four-five times a week anyway and (try to) eat healthy and fresh as much as possible! With my last pregnancy I gained about 25lbs and would like to keep it as close to that as possible second time round. Any suggestions on what I should be eating?
  • Re: abs. Durig my last pregnancy I spoke with a physical therapist who specialized in pregnancy/postpartum and she suggested not doing any and while pregnant and for a full 3 months postpartum. She suggests you let your abs soften to help prevent abdominal separation (diastisis). I have to admit, I am still doing abs at 5 weeks but I will stop by week 8.

I didn't stop doing abs at all with my first pregnancy and had no problems throughout. I feel like keeping my usual work out helped me get back to normal after the birth. I'm interested by what you've just said in case I'm doing something wrong this time.
  • I do yoga and was told with my last pregnancy NO hot yoga, and to modify positions as they do not want your head below your heart (like downward dog) as the increase in blood volume can cause dizziness, and they don't like pregnant ladies passing out and falling over. Try to find someone who does prenatal yoga! It's great!
    Mrs. H
    Crohn's Dx: August 2008
    Endometriosis Dx: May 2010
    Married: 05/19/2012
    TTC #1: June 2013
    BFP: December 2013
    DS: Born 08/29/2014
    TTC #2: July 2015

BFP #2: September 25, 2015

• I'd like to join! I'm 4w6d and I'm really its fitness. My boyfriend is a Marine black belt instructor and personal trainer and we work out every morning together. I mainly used to lift weights but now I am going to start incorporating more cardio into my workouts. I love the idea of this board!
  • Our first REAL post will be tomorrow!!! Keep an eye out!!
  • I am in...I am not at my ideal weight and need to get on the healthy track.
  • I feel so much better after reading these posts - I'm 4 weeks and typically work out with weights and cardio daily. Since I found out I stopped everything and have been feeling like a lump because of it. I'm starting back up this week, but changing my cardio to low impact and will be lowering my weights. Anyone have any suggestions on how much is safe to lift? I've heard the nothing over 15lbs thing, but what about legs? 
  • I'm in! I'm almost 5 wks with my first.
  • I am in! I believe this little peanut will be my motivation to get back on track!

Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • I'm in! I gained 35 lbs my last pregnancy and it was more than I wanted to gain (I already have a little extra weight on me). This time around I'd love to stick to 25 lbs or so. I was already working on losing weight before the pregnancy so I have a pretty good workout routine going. I'm going to try to stick to it for as long as I can. We can do this! 
    Nov 17 BMB May Siggy Challenge: Mother's Day Fails

BabyFruit Ticker