Toddlers: 24 Months+
Options

Am I being too overprotective?

I am being a little crazy to tell people to not talk to my kid in public?
My wife thinks that I am being rude if I don't explain that she is shy and afraid of strangers and that talking to her will make it worse but I think that I shouldn't have to explain.
If you don't know me or my wife, why do you think it is okay to talk to my kid?
My latest example was me trying to calm down/discipline LO and a random guy comes and tells her she is too cute to cry. I ask him to please don't talk to her and he just keeps going.
I don't understand why this is okay?
Anyone help me out with this?

Re: Am I being too overprotective?

• Options
    Eh... It's your kid, your decision. 
  • Options

Yes I think you are being a little crazy to tell people not to talk to your kid in public. The example you gave was a tough one because you were trying to discipline but you can't control what strangers in public say or do so if I were you, I would have smiled at the man then walked away.

My son used to be painfully shy and it was embarrassing when he would scream and cry when a stranger said hi to him but I would hug him while saying to the stranger "Sorry, he's very shy" and then walk away. That's pretty easy to do.  

This is the line from your post that I don't get: "If you don't know me or my wife, why do you think it is okay to talk to my kid?". People love kids and people love talking to kids they see out in public. Hell, people try to touch my children! Don't be angry about it and certainly don't be rude to them. They are trying to be nice.  

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    BUT, like PP said, it's your kid...
  • Options
    It sounds like this guy was just trying to be helpful. I would have just smiled and then looked away, hopefully giving him the message. 

People talk to other people in public. It is part of being part of a community. I'd rather have that than the opposite. If it truly is a problem for your child, I would have a canned response ready -- something like, "Thank you but she's very shy." And then respect her reactions and help her deal with them.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker