June 2016 Moms
Options

chamomile Tea

Just a quick question. Does anyone know if chamomile tea is safe during pregnancy? I used it for upset stomach in the past and I'm thinking that maybe it would help this nausea and throwing up. But I know that when your pregnant you need to be careful about herbal stuff. Last pregnancy i took zofran, which is of course now linked to defects in babies and it gave me awful constipation, and I also took Diclegis which is taking the edge off but I'm still feeling so sick. It's awful =[
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: chamomile Tea

• Options
    Zofran is perfectly safe to take. I'm not sure about chamomile you'd need to ask your doctor

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Zofran has been linked to cleft lip and palate as well as congenital heart defects in recent studies. I dont want to take it unless nothing else works. It's just not a risk I'm readily willing to take. Add to that the absolutely horrible constipation it caused me and I just would like to find something else that works.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I would also not reccommend taking zofran unless you absolutely have to. I would beg you not to but I don't know you ;)

Ask your doctor about safe natural remedies. My personal favorites are coke (I hate it usually), saltine crackers, and anything with real ginger.
    April Sig Challenge: Why my kid is crying

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I have a big bottle of gingerale and Preggie Pops ready to go!

• Options
    I find candied ginger a really good and quick remedy for nausea. As far as I know - albeit I'm no doctor - chamomile tea is fine. But just check in with your ob to be sure.
    And I'm with @sorarose ginger ale is my best friend right now. It helps with gassiness too (is that even a word?)
      Anniversary

• Options
    I find candied ginger a really good and quick remedy for nausea. As far as I know - albeit I'm no doctor - chamomile tea is fine. But just check in with your ob to be sure. And I'm with @sorarose ginger ale is my best friend right now. It helps with gassiness too (is that even a word?)
    I remember purchasing candied ginger in my last pregnancy on a visit to Harper's Ferry where they were selling the most amazing candy. Delicious and effective!

• Options
    Chamomile is perfectly safe in small normal amounts. Like a cup of tea for ms. Zofran is terrible. Steer clear of that garbage
  • Options
    sorarose said:

I find candied ginger a really good and quick remedy for nausea. As far as I know - albeit I'm no doctor - chamomile tea is fine. But just check in with your ob to be sure.
    And I'm with @sorarose ginger ale is my best friend right now. It helps with gassiness too (is that even a word?)

I remember purchasing candied ginger in my last pregnancy on a visit to Harper's Ferry where they were selling the most amazing candy. Delicious and effective!

It really is so effective for nausea, not just during pregnancy. I've seen it at whole foods and wegmans. Hopefully there's one near everyone, highly recommend it.
      Anniversary

• Options
    I was doing candied ginger and saltines at first. MS has gotten bad to where I just don't wanna eat. DH is a saint and found preggie pops on his way home. I heard they are great.
  • Options
    I was doing candied ginger and saltines at first. MS has gotten bad to where I just don't wanna eat. DH is a saint and found preggie pops on his way home. I heard they are great.
    They were my godsend last pregnancy. 

• Options

I've read mix things about chamomile - best to just ask your doctor but for lots of things (except things we know we shouldn't have at all) I think anything moderation is fine.

For me in terms of nausea though.... saltines... all day errrry day. :)

• Options
    Please post links to the actual studies as I have not seen any come across my emails lately from my nursing/medical pages.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    losersaidwhatlosersaidwhat member
    edited October 2015
    This is only one but it's peer reviewed :)
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22516883
    Conclusion that chamomile should be safe in normal amounts.

ETA: here's one for zofran and pregnancy as well if anyone wants it https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3470505/
  • Options
    @sthomas1222 I know it's not a link to research but when I asked my OB for suggestions on nausea relief she said "I not longer prescribe zofran due to possible heart and other birth defects" (I am being watched closely for heart defects in this baby since my son was born with multiple). She suggested some herbal medicine and anything ginger. Also those wristbands people use for travel sickness.
    April Sig Challenge: Why my kid is crying

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I see this article from Medscape that mentions updated recommendations from ACOG that moves Diclegis to first choice, which I totally agree that it should be but tell insurance companies that. But says the overall risk for zofran "absolute risk to any fetus is low, according to the review". I can see in your case @vikinggirl12 that any increase in risk for CHD would not be a case of benefits outweighing risks. That's the most recent medical article I can find personally since I do not have access to ACOG Journal as I'm broke :-p

https://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/849872

Pregnancy Ticker