November 2015 Moms

Seeing a Preggo Smoker

2»

Re: Seeing a Preggo Smoker

• Loading the player...
  • riott1977 said:
    I am saying it is not good to do a lot of things while pregnant.  But people still do them.  I don't think it is good to smoke while pregnant, but I don't think it is my place to criticize someone I don't know for smoking, because I don't know enough about them to know their particular situation.  If it was a close friend or loved one, I might compassionately discuss my concerns with them and offer help to quit.  Smoking is an addiction, I think most people who do it are not happy they do it.  I just wouldn't judge based an encounter with someone I don't know. I don't think it is equivalent to child abuse. The health risks associated with smoking are not much different than caffeine and other things that are socially acceptable and people wouldn't accuse a pregnant of abuse for drinking a coffee.  It could be one coffee in a week or it could be her 5th coffee that day, and the same is true for the cigarette that I am seeing. But that is just my opinion and I don't expect everyone to agree with me. 
    What exactly does their personal situation have to do with smoking? In no situation is it ever OK to smoke while pregnant. People who make excuses for doing horrible things while pregnant, and the people who defend them, honestly make me sick. This is a known poisonous substance we're talking about, not caffeine. You should Google what a smoker's placenta looks like. Maybe that will help realign your thinking. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • It's nobody else's place to get involved really. I think being fat and having a bad diet is bad for baby too. Are you going to shout at a fat person for eating McDonald's? People know the risks and don't need a lecture from an interfering busy body. I'd never do that. I don't smoke and am healthier than most but I wouldn't stick my oar in someone else's business as it's not my problem.
  • I smoked lightly (1 cigarette or less a day), vaped using an electronic cigarette, and drank a lot of coffee, before I found out I was pregnant. The moment the test came out positive I immediately quit all of them and will not allow my fiancé to vape around me because I don't want any of the chemicals to impact my LO. However I did work with a woman who smoked heavily throughout her whole pregnancy and when I asked her about it nicely, she told me that she didn't believe that smoking was bad for pregnant woman because every single woman in her family smoked throughout pregnancy and everyone was born healthy. Unless the smoke is directly affecting me (someone blowing the smoke in my face or around my table if I was at a restrauant) I wouldn't say anything.
  • @Elyse1384 You are just winning a lot lately. 8-> Seriously.
  • Not that this will really make a difference, but I smoked half a pack to a pack a day. The moment I peed on that test and it said positive I dropped them i was lucky and had no problem this is no longer about me and my selfish wants and I don't look back yes I have gained alot of weight and eat crap I shouldn't but I would rather have gained too much weight than fill my body with something harmful like a cigarette. I personally don't believe in the if you quit you will have a miscarriage I think it's better to quit sooner than later, if someone personally has to quit by tapering off than good for them for atleast making an effort and trying to do what's best. The thing is being over weight and a cup of coffee are nothing compared to smoking I would rather see a pregnant woman at a coffee shop than a smoke filled place any day. After 2 miscarriages maybe that is why I am so obsessive about careless behavior, but I know that it is possible to stop smoking and any addiction because the life inside of you depends on it. Just because so and so had a healthy baby when they smoked the whole time doesn't mean you should play with the gift you were giving and chance it because you may not be so lucky. I'm done...
  • I feel like smoking and drinking alcohol are huge no no's during pregnancy and cannot believe how many people ignore the risks. But basically not my circus, not my monkeys and I know my baby won't be prone to the side effects of either because I chose not to expose him to either in utero :) just my opinion.
  • Just going to throw this out there knowing the possibility of negative comments in my direction. I have been a smoker for ten years. I quit when I found out I was pregnant, for a week. It made me violently sick and I lost 15 pounds. My OB told me that I shouldn't quit, just cut back as much as I can. I never had morning sickness, nor have I had any other problems. I don't have high blood pressure, or GD, nor is there anything wrong with my baby. He's measuring big for 36 weeks, and my doctor is going to test his lung function for me after he's born. I'm not trying to justify smoking while pregnant. I hate that I do. I'm just saying that while most of the habit is a mental addiction, if you don't know the situation, it's not your business. Everybody handles quitting differently. Everyone handles stress differently. And stress isn't good for a pregnancy either. And it does put a lot of stress on the body to quit any addictive habit. But I've had people tell me that I should quit smoking, and while it doesn't irritate me so much because I know they're concerned, I just politely smile and tell them I should have stayed with my abusive boyfriend so that my baby could have a father, too. It's none of your business if it's a stranger. She could have been more considerate though by not smoking by the door or around other people.
  • oooonerooooner member
    edited October 2015
    The idea that drinking coffee is as bad as smoking cigarettes for your LO is hysterical. Cigarettes are so much worse... you simply cannot equate the two in any way. As to whether you should say something to a pregnant smoker, I personally would not. It's a mind your own damn business situation. Just because I do not agree with what someone else chooses to do, doesn't mean that person deserves a lecture from me. Unless that person has engaged me in the smoking in some way, I'm going to keep my mouth shut... do unto others as you want them to do unto you. I know I don't want lectures from strangers.
  • I smoked before I fell pregnant, I went cold turkey when I found out because seriously, how can the pleasure I get from having a cigarette ever be worth the risk of harming my child! I won't even eat a runny egg yolk! The thing that gets me about pregnant women smoking in public is that they don't seem to be ashamed! I mean I was at a family party last week and went to the bar to get my Nanna a drink, I made sure I pointed out the drink was not for me! I know you shouldn't care what other people think when you are making the right choices but damn! To stand outside the labour ward smoking (something me and my SO saw last week) do these ladies have no shame??!! Where I'm from the govenment were talking about introducing a scheme where pregnant mothers would be offered £500 worth of vouchers to quit smoking!!! My SO suggested I pretended to still smoke and sign up, I told him id be to mortified to have peope think that I valued £500 abovey babies health! The thought that £500 might just persuade someone to quit when doing the right thing for their child couldn't knocked me sick! Ugh! Sorry for the essay!
  • Shamefully I admit to being one of those "prego smokers" im 36 weeks and still indulge in a few ciggies a day. I used to be a very heavy smoker a pack or more a day. I have cut down by a hell of a lot but have not stopped
  • addisyn13addisyn13 member
    edited October 2015

I have been a heavy smoker for 15 years.

If you have never tried to quit smoking, well you have no right to comment.
    It is hard and it is very stressfull.
    The day after we found out about baby #2
    My partner of 4 years and father of our 3 yr came out and told me hes been sleeping with a 18yr behind my back and she wanted him to leave me because I was pregnant again. And guess what, He left Us. 

So I was on my own, pregnant, with a 3 year old and running a dairy farm.
    So im going to admit it, No I didn't quit cold turkey. Some days I didnt have any som,e days I had 1 or 2..

But for example the other night (Thursday night), my Ex came here drunk and assaulted me while I lay in bed at 34weeks, So I went and sat in the paddock with my horses and cried and had a smoke while I waited for police.
    Its not the first time he has assaulted me this pregnancy.
    I have been admitted to hospital 3 times due to stress and anixity.

I know its no excuse, but you cant point the finger at people and judge them for there choices.
    You never know what people are going through.
    And some people handle things better than others.
    Im happy to say I have quit because I don't crave them anymore but I do have times where I relapse.
    Its not easy.....

• This thread is insane. First things first, no one can force you to start smoking. The facts are out there about the harm it causes to your health and if you make the decision to start smoking...fine. I don't care - it is your body. Having the facts and electing to smoke is your right. That said, once you become pregnant it is no longer just your health at stake so I can understand how some react strongly to seeing a pregnant woman smoke. Would I personally say anything to that woman? No, but bet your ass I am going to judge. Many women give up things they are addicted to or have a very strong pull towards, but being or preparing to become a parent means making selfless decisions no matter how difficult it is for you. You can make the decision to stop if you really want to. I know plenty of women who quit addictive activities (smoking, heavy alcohol consumption, drugs) cold turkey once they became pregnant. Was it easy for them? Hell no. They still did it though.

Second, just because some women choose never to start smoking doesn't mean they can't comment on this thread. Addiction comes in many forms - not just nicotine. Many women can relate to quitting something cold turkey knowing it is best for their LOs. Even those who aren't addicted to one of the big pregnancy "No Nos" can relate to having to make personal sacrifices or decisions for their child(ren) regardless of personal hardships or preferences. I'm sorry some of you are going through personal adversities while struggling to quit, but if you do care to stop perhaps speak to your OB about other coping mechanisms for any personal considerations (stress, anxiety, depression, etc).
  • Elyse1384 said:
    This thread is insane. First things first, no one can force you to start smoking. The facts are out there about the harm it causes to your health and if you make the decision to start smoking...fine. I don't care - it is your body. Having the facts and electing to smoke is your right. That said, once you become pregnant it is no longer just your health at stake so I can understand how some react strongly to seeing a pregnant woman smoke. Would I personally say anything to that woman? No, but bet your ass I am going to judge. Many women give up things they are addicted to or have a very strong pull towards, but being or preparing to become a parent means making selfless decisions no matter how difficult it is for you. You can make the decision to stop if you really want to. I know plenty of women who quit addictive activities (smoking, heavy alcohol consumption, drugs) cold turkey once they became pregnant. Was it easy for them? Hell no. They still did it though. Second, just because some women choose never to start smoking doesn't mean they can't comment on this thread. Addiction comes in many forms - not just nicotine. Many women can relate to quitting something cold turkey knowing it is best for their LOs. Even those who aren't addicted to one of the big pregnancy "No Nos" can relate to having to make personal sacrifices or decisions for their child(ren) regardless of personal hardships or preferences. I'm sorry some of you are going through personal adversities while struggling to quit, but if you do care to stop perhaps speak to your OB about other coping mechanisms for any personal considerations (stress, anxiety, depression, etc).
    All the yes. I was a heavy smoker and I quit. It wasn't easy, some days still aren't but I have peace of mind knowing my LO and I are healthier for it, and when it all comes down to it, that's all that matters. 
  • addisyn13 said:

I have been a heavy smoker for 15 years.

If you have never tried to quit smoking, well you have no right to comment.
    It is hard and it is very stressfull.
    The day after we found out about baby #2
    My partner of 4 years and father of our 3 yr came out and told me hes been sleeping with a 18yr behind my back and she wanted him to leave me because I was pregnant again. And guess what, He left Us. 

So I was on my own, pregnant, with a 3 year old and running a dairy farm.
    So im going to admit it, No I didn't quit cold turkey. Some days I didnt have any som,e days I had 1 or 2..

But for example the other night (Thursday night), my Ex came here drunk and assaulted me while I lay in bed at 34weeks, So I went and sat in the paddock with my horses and cried and had a smoke while I waited for police.
    Its not the first time he has assaulted me this pregnancy.
    I have been admitted to hospital 3 times due to stress and anixity.

I know its no excuse, but you cant point the finger at people and judge them for there choices.
    You never know what people are going through.
    And some people handle things better than others.
    Im happy to say I have quit because I don't crave them anymore but I do have times where I relapse.
    Its not easy.....

First of I'm sorry your ex is a D goal secondly it takes more courage to walk way then too stay. Thirdly ur doing the best you can that's all anyone can ask of you.