Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months

A Sensitive Question about Hygiene

Hey all,

I am wondering if you might be able to help me out with a question I have about my daughter's hygiene. My babysitter commented on how her vagina is open and sometimes collects poop when she goes. She was just telling me this to be helpful in case I hadn't noticed it, so I can keep it really clean, and she said she only noticed it because her two daughters did not have open holes there. Is it normal to have an open hole when the child is only 19 months? I'm a little ignorant on the subject, and I just want to make sure everything is ok. Thanks!

Re: A Sensitive Question about Hygiene

• Interesting question. I have no idea. Can you call your Pedi?
  • I often have to clean poop from daughter's vagina when she goes (tmi, but especially when the poop is a bit loose). This has been since she was a newborn. I don't think it's a concern, except, as you said, making sure you clean her properly when you change her diaper. If you're worried about it, ask your pediatrician.
  • Loading the player...
  • I have had this happen with my daughters. I think it is totally normal. Personally, I just use the corner of a wipe and gently clean the area. I don't think you have to worry about anything, unless it gets really red or seems to be causing her pain. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I can attest only from being a nurse, not from witnessing this with my daughter, but the vagina is supposed to be open. There is no way that it could be closed, unless there is an abnormality. The labia are the only covering that the vagina has. They are the only barrier that the vaginal opening has between it and the environment. Don't be alarmed because it's normal physiology. I would be worried if there wasn't an opening to be honest.
  • both of my daughters had the same problem you just gotta keep the area clean so they don't get any infections cause they can get like yeast infections and things like that even at this young age..