August 2015 Moms

Daycare and diaper changes

DD started daycare this week. I knew going into it that they checked/changed diapers every 2hrs. At the end of the day, they give us a sheet that tells us the times of her diaper changes, bottles and naps. Based on the times I can tell that they are waking her at the 2 hour mark to change her. Anyone else have a daycare that does this? Is that normal? I understand the reasoning behind it, but it seems like DD isn't getting very much sleep during the day because of it. One time she had only been asleep for 15 minutes when they woke her to be changed.

Re: Daycare and diaper changes

• Hmmm, well I don't have my kiddos in daycare (MIL watches them) but I would tell them/her just to let her sleep. Or at least talk to them and figure out their reasoning. Why wouldn't they change her BEFORE they put her down? Unless she pooped while she was sleeping....I don't know. Personally, I'd rather have her sleep.

• I worked at a daycare for 3 years. We didn't have routine checking, we just checked often and wrote down when we changed them. Always changed before and after naps, and with toddlers, always changed/checked before any activity and after. We never woke the children for changes, because we had scheduled nap times, so they wouldn't even be in the diaper long enough to disturb their sleep.
  • Loading the player...
  • I'd just ask them to let her sleep. Or if it's getting close to the 2 hour mark and she is getting sleepy, just have them change her a little early. I think it's weird they would wake her to be changed, unless she pooped. Maybe just mention that you'd rather let her sleep. I dont see it being a problem
  • I work at a daycare too...it is really about making sure that every child is attended to on a regular basis and to ensure that no one is forgotten. Think about how muddled your head can get sometimes where you question the timing of baby's last feeding, last diaper change, or just general daily life that you seem to loose track of...now imagine doing it with 6 babies! (Or however many the ratio per teacher is at your baby's daycare). There has to be a routine in place because things would get hectic if you left one or two babies unchanged during nap and then had to ensure they were changed when the reality is that you are starting feedings or tending to a crying baby etc. It seems like it would be easy enough to remember, but a day with multiple babies can be unpredictable, so the routine keeps it a little more manageable for the teacher. And, not to mention...the error of a forgotten diaper yielding a diaper rash would come down on the teachers shoulders...or if a parent came to pick up early and was greeted by a very full diaper, I don't think they would be very pleased and would question how good the care and attentiveness of the facility was. I don't work with the infants, but I have seen how hectic things can be for the toddler room across from my preschool class with potty training, and I know how I can sometimes get overwhelmed at home with just one baby. When my baby was in the NICU the rotating schedule was on every 3 hours and it kept things like clockwork for the babies - 2 hours may not be the best, but at least you know that her needs are attended to on a regular basis.
  • I agree with @kezdk. My LO has been in daycare about 6 weeks. They have their own schedule of 3 hrs for diapers and feelings. It took LO 10 days before he winced with their schedule, but now I can set my watch by him on the days he is home. I wouldn't worry about it too terribly much, unless your LO won't go back to sleep after being woken up. Maybe by a wipe warmer so baby is less likely to wake up during nap time changes.

Formerly known as Kate08young
    August '18 Siggy April Showers:

Me: 28 H: 24
    Married: 7/22/14
    Baby L: 8/4/2015  August 2015 Moms
    Baby E: 11/18/2016   December 2016 Moms
    TTC #3 08/2017  BFP 11/27/2017. 
    Twin B lost 11/22/2017, Twin A doing well. 

• Mine will change her diaper every 2 hours, unless she's asleep. Then they change her when she wakes up
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • We haven't started daycare with this LO yet, but are using the same one we did for our first, and unless they have changed drastically, this was not their policy. Changed before and after naps and checked every 2 hours when awake and/or if they had a blowout/leak/smelled something.

BFP #1 9/23/09. Missed MC 10w3d D&C 11/3/09.

BFP #2 4/13/10. Bridget born 12/28/10

BFP #3 Finn born 8/11/15

[url=http://www.thebump.com/?utm_source=ticker&utm_medium=UBB&utm_campaign=tickers][img]http://global.thebump.com/tickers/tt1cb8c4.aspx[/img][/url]

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • The daycare we have my oldest in is very responsive to parent requests. We advised she not be woken from naps for feedings/diaper changes and they were fine with that. I have witnessed other parents flip out when they feel their baby missed a feeding or change, so the scheduled changes are probably to prevent those issues.