Multiples

How to Position Car Seats for 3 kids under 2

My twins will be born in February.  I have a car with 3 rows (explorer).  The 3rd row is split how it folds, so one seat can be up and the other 2 folded down.  When the twins arrive, my son will be 21 months old.  He is in the convertible car seat, and is still rear facing.

How would you positon the 3 kids?  3 in a row in the middle?  Son in the way back, and put him in it via the trunk?

I am not sure how I am going to be able to easily secure my son in his carseat.  Do I put him by a door so I can easily do it, and the two babies are next to each other (my initial thought was him in the middle)

Re: How to Position Car Seats for 3 kids under 2

• Is your second row captain chairs or a bench seat?
  • If it's captain chairs, I'd remove one of them and install toddler in the remaining captain chair and twins in the third row. Then you can get everyone in from one side of the car.
  • Loading the player...
  • I know, I keep thinking about who's going to sit where once my twins come (not 'til April/May, so a loooong time!). My kids are older so they can at least buckle themselves (8 & 5). My Mitsubishi outlander isn't the easiest to get in and out of the 3rd row. Once I get my infant car seats I will do some practicing!
  • I don't believe the Explorer has Captains chairs, correct? Therefore I personally would put them all 3 in the middle row with the smallest baby in the middle seat (lightest to lift over the other baby). I have a Pilot with a 3rd row and two car seats in the middle row and it is almost impossible to access the 3rd row other than through the trunk. Sometimes my 10 year old has to go back there if we have another person in the car - she can crawl in through the trunk but there's no way I'd be able to access it well enough to help a younger child get buckled in there. Plus our double stroller won't fit in even if two of the thrird row seats are down - we need the entire 3rd row down.
  • I have a Pilot and the edge seats slide forward (like in a coupe but more space) so you can get into the rear. I plan to put my oldest in the last row and the twins in the middle and on one side to make access to the rear easiest.
  • My son will be almost 3 when my twins are born, so my plan for right now is to put all 3 in the middle row. I like to be able to reach my son if we're stuck in traffic or taking a longer trip so that I can hand him snacks or toys or whatever. As soon as that is no longer working for us we'll put him in the third row with the twins side by side in the middle row so we can slide the third middle seat forward for easier access.
    BabyFruit Ticker Follow my baby story at: http://www.nycitified.blogspot.com/
  • I have a Pilot and the edge seats slide forward (like in a coupe but more space) so you can get into the rear. I plan to put my oldest in the last row and the twins in the middle and on one side to make access to the rear easiest.

I did this in my pilot. DS was 20 months old when my twins were born, I originally tried all 3 in the middle (I sat in 3rd row for first ride just to see how DS was) and my DS was good but tried sharing a snack and I decidedon't he was to young to be near them. He loves the 3rd row and his own cup holders. We fit the double car seat stroller with no problems and our jovvey with just the split down.