Baby Names

Maybe an unpopular opinion...

I'm pretty new to The Bump, but I can't help but notice how rude so many people are when it comes to baby names others are choosing. It seems that if a name has any originality at all, it's immediately shot down. I've noticed a lot of you are really cutting down "trendy" names and stating classic names as your preference, but it seems to me classic is the new trendy.

Sorry, just don't feel like it's necessary to cut down names people are considering for their children. Especially when I ready something along the lines of "how could you do that to your child?".

I thought this was a place we could support each other in our own personal journeys! You never know the sentiment or reasoning behind a name someone has chosen, originality is beautiful.

Re: Maybe an unpopular opinion...

• Loading the player...
  • I completely understand if a name is just absolutely ridiculous, but I've seen so many people really criticizing beautiful names just because they're a little different from the norm, I guess, in my opinion, it just feels pretty harsh for some people to be so rude.

The people that get the most out of this board are the people want honest feedback... To know what people will think of your LOs name, good or bad. If you don't care what other people think, there's no point in asking in the first place.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Miss LilacMiss Lilac member
    edited October 2015
    Mmkay.

Feb '16 October Siggy Challenge: Favorite Candy

• This board is going to tell you what everyone in real life is thinking but is to polite to say to your face. Originally is not always beautiful. Zippy Uranus is original but is it beautiful (we all remember baby Zapp I assume?)
  • The "regulars" here on the bump are name nazi's and bully's. I threw out my daughters name to see how many would bash it and it was ripped to shreds. I named her 19 years ago as a 19 year old single mom. And was told she would grow up to be a dumb girl with no real intelligence with that name. Everything from her resume to her future as a teen mom were talked about! 20 something comments saying nothing but hatefulness!! PATHETIC!! Please tell me how this is constructive!?? It's not...
    By the way she grew up to be one of kindest, compassionate, smartest young women I know. She is on a fast track in college to became and elementary teacher and works as a para professional with special needs children. What a loser Right....
  • Loucasey Ambur Navi. There's a reason why people say don't name your kid that. It's because common sense isn't always so common. AndPlusAlso if your asking for opinions you shouldn't do so if you only want to hear how great the name you chose is.
  • I suppose you skipped over the ones that said they worried about her intelligence, the incredibly tacky meems, the teacher that said her student was lovely and wish a less horrid name for her... Name Nazi is a perfect example of what happens in this board the only ones with positive feed back are the very very trendy older generation names anything else get the "side eye" or punished to death with awful remarks and snarky attitudes! The only reason I checked back in here is to hopefully see some kinder people, but nope still the old hateful BS.

• I suppose you skipped over the ones that said they worried about her intelligence, the incredibly tacky meems, the teacher that said her student was lovely and wish a less horrid name for her... Name Nazi is a perfect example of what happens in this board the only ones with positive feed back are the very very trendy older generation names anything else get the "side eye" or punished to death with awful remarks and snarky attitudes! The only reason I checked back in here is to hopefully see some kinder people, but nope still the old hateful BS.

Lol.

"OMG people thought critical things about my name choice! They totally are the same as genocidal fascists."

Great logic.

Name change! wassupnazis.

Is that even allowed? Lol.

• Miss LilacMiss Lilac member
    edited October 2015
    @wassuphoes Yes, only a terrible part of me found that funny. I just couldn't help myself. My husband's inappropriate sense of humor has totally rubbed off on me. I've even come up with another one as I've browsed. I'm awful!

I just came back from hunting this thread down and yeah, the worst of the lot was that people said it sounded teen mom. I was specifically looking for one that worried about her intelligence, and didn't see one. The teacher who wished a girl had a different name was actually complimenting that child and expressing an opinion that she didn't like the name on that child. And yes, while traditional names are best received here, uncommon names are not always slammed. People will say the name is NMS, which is not the same as being slammed. Unless it's an uncommonly bad idea.
    Completely inappropriate name calling aside, you're also totally stretching the truth in your statement above
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Yep you all are right as usual. My children are kind, compassionate human beings that came from a horrible wretched mother. I'm also super glad you all learned something from history because in no way are your comments dehumanizing or belittling. I don't troll I completely deleted this app, but instantly regretted when I read this post and saw the comments. I'm not one to stand by and let people tear down others so I said something. Clearly I should have kept my words to myself.
  • LinsbinsLinsbins member
    edited October 2015
    Op- Wow. I'm a teacher and I frequently have children at school who are have odd names. These names are talked about and some of those children become infamous within our school. We are giving our honest opinions on these names, and yes, sometimes people here seem rude. However, that's what people will really think behind your back, and at least we will say it.

@myparkers7- I briefly looked through your post history, as much as I could on mobile, and more than half of what you say is fighting with people.

• Funny thing is none of you know me and I am very thankful for that. I'm well educated, I know social morals, I know compassion and empathy, I'm not holier than thou, I do know when I am right and when I am wrong. When I am wrong I admit it and find ways to improve myself. My wrongness is that I was very naive to the fact that women actually support one another and others have a kind regard for one another. I was wrong about that. It's very clear that these board push my boundaries and bring out the worse in me. I can't stand snarky, hateful attitudes especially when they gang up together. I don't care whether you think I'm a crappy mom, a bad person, a combative person or any other vile thing you concoct about me in your head. By the way I reached out to GLADD after that entire situation and shared some the posts on that thread (mine as well as others) and they explained to me where I was wrong, but also agreed that the others were being unreasonable and bullying. They also suggested that I report behavior like that the auorities. Once again I will be deleting this app and try to completely shut down my account.
  • Echo Zapp is that you? :-@
  • The "regulars" here on the bump are name nazi's and bully's. I threw out my daughters name to see how many would bash it and it was ripped to shreds. I named her 19 years ago as a 19 year old single mom. And was told she would grow up to be a dumb girl with no real intelligence with that name. Everything from her resume to her future as a teen mom were talked about! 20 something comments saying nothing but hatefulness!! PATHETIC!! Please tell me how this is constructive!?? It's not... By the way she grew up to be one of kindest, compassionate, smartest young women I know. She is on a fast track in college to became and elementary teacher and works as a para professional with special needs children. What a loser Right....
    Here's the original thread for anyone mobile: https://forums.thebump.com/discussion/comment/87737808#Comment_87737808
    All those responses were dead on! I guess educated does not mean one can spell.
  • Yeah, the responses you got were not bad. If you weren't ready to hear honest opinions, perhaps you shouldn't have asked.

I actually don't mind the name, we named our cat Macy after Macey Gray the singer. I just don't care for your spelling choice.
  • Hi all,

Maintaining a welcoming environment in the community is something we take very seriously. We welcome debate and engaging dialogue from all perspectives here. We do not tolerate bullying. If you feel you’ve experienced bullying within the community,

Please:

Flag comments that violate our TOU by using the “Report a TOU Violation” feature below posts
    Send a Private Message to BumpTara or @BumpCaitlin describing your concerns or send an email to communitybumpxogrp.com and include links to any threads that you are concerned about so we can properly investigate.

Please do not:

Post on the boards about your grievances with the community or individual members. Doing so tends to result in unproductive arguments among members and escalates situations.

By flagging posts that violate the TOU and sharing your concerns directly with our moderators, we are able to address issues promptly and properly.

We will be closing this thread for further comments. Thank you.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"