December 2015 Moms
Options

wanting to stay home after baby

I would love to be able to stay home with my daughter after she is born, but financially we can't really make that happen. Does anyone work from home or have ideas as to different companies that allow you to work at home?

Re: wanting to stay home after baby

• Options
    This is a common reason for in-home daycare or seeking work in a daycare. It's what my mom did when we were young. Another thing she did was drive a school bus (certainly not for everyone). The company she drove for allowed some drivers to take their kids along in a carseat, otherwise it wouldn't be a long period of time to get a babysitter for.

If you feel up for it you could work as a sales consultant; something like pampered chef, Mary kay, Avon, tupperware, or scentsy. It isn't easy but would offer a lot of flexibility.
  • Options
    There was a good post about this a few weeks or a month or so ago. It seemed like the consensus from other moms was that working from home is nearly impossible with a baby.

Having said that, most of the moms who responded, like myself, have been with their company for awhile and are able to work from home because of that. I'm still going to put my daughter in daycare though.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I worked from home after my daughter was born and had someone come in and watch her for about five hours a day. Those three or so hours I was watching her by myself and trying to work were not productive, and I got really behind in my work. When our nanny quit due to moving, I ended up putting DD in full time daycare because working from home and taking care of a baby is next to impossible. I recommend having child care, even if you are able to find a WAH position.

But to answer your question, I eirked for an insurance agent and had worked for him for five or six years before he allowed me to WFH.
     image image
    10/10/2010
    TTC Since May 2011
    DX: Subclinical Hypothyroidism
    BFP #1: 11/21/2011. EDD: 8/4/2012. Missed M/C & D&C at 11w6d: 1/20/2012.
    BFP #2: 5/24/2012. EDD: 2/2/2013. Natural M/C at 6w0d: 6/9/2012.
    BFP #3: 12/6/2012. EDD: 8/19/2013. Missed M/C at 9w0d: 1/14/2013.
    BFP #4: 4/20/2013. EDD: 1/1/2014. Born at 36w3d: 12/7/2013
    BFP #5: 3/25/2015: EDD: 12/8/2015.
    Lilypie - (IDGc)
  • Options

I worked from home after my daughter was born and had someone come in and watch her for about five hours a day. Those three or so hours I was watching her by myself and trying to work were not productive, and I got really behind in my work. When our nanny quit due to moving, I ended up putting DD in full time daycare because working from home and taking care of a baby is next to impossible. I recommend having child care, even if you are able to find a WAH position.

But to answer your question, I eirked for an insurance agent and had worked for him for five or six years before he allowed me to WFH.

@skreedrake Question: I'm wondering if I could at least swing WFH with the baby when she's 4-6 months. Seems like it's a little more manageable because they're not moving around. Did you find this to be case? Or were you home with her when she was a little older?

• Options
    I work from home as a Beachbody coach.
  • Options
    I've been working from home since July and it's tough. It takes a lot of discipline and you have to perform the same way you would at the office. I send my son to daycare during work hours because I cannot give him the attention he needs and still do my job to a high level. With a baby your time is disrupted more so it's hard to give everyone (including yourself) the attention you need and deserve. If anything I would look for a job that has childcare perks like pp suggested - daycare or bus driver. Here in NYC there's a food delivery service that pays well and had flexible hours so maybe look to see if something like that exists in your area.
  • Options
    DH and I were able to have DD with us full time as houseparents. The job isn't for every but is very rewarding.
  • Options
    great post! i am currently a stay at home wife and have been for the last year and a half. My goal was to return to work when my DS is two years old. I would be done with school by then and can seek the job I desire. However, I believe plans maybe changing and I will return to work the beginning of next year.

Following this thread for information.
  • Options
    I worked from home after my daughter was born and had someone come in and watch her for about five hours a day. Those three or so hours I was watching her by myself and trying to work were not productive, and I got really behind in my work. When our nanny quit due to moving, I ended up putting DD in full time daycare because working from home and taking care of a baby is next to impossible. I recommend having child care, even if you are able to find a WAH position. But to answer your question, I eirked for an insurance agent and had worked for him for five or six years before he allowed me to WFH.
    @skreedrake Question: I'm wondering if I could at least swing WFH with the baby when she's 4-6 months. Seems like it's a little more manageable because they're not moving around. Did you find this to be case? Or were you home with her when she was a little older?
    Even at 4-6 months they need a lot of attention. They are trying to sit up and possibly crawl at that time, as well. (closer to six months, anyway).

Jamie

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Options
    Check into cleaning offices and drs offices at night. I know people who have done this and its a good way to supplement income. I was a nanny for 5 years when my first was born. It did prove to be difficult taking my son to work with me and carting him all over with the 2 older kids and eventually when he was 8 months old i became a stay at home mom. We miss the extra income but i would do it again in a heartbeat
  • Options
    I currently work from home and it is horrible!! I can't imagine doing this with a newborn it is just too much work! I am due dec 30th so I plan to work until my maternity leave and start an in home daycare after baby and I get into the swing of things ❤️❤️
  • Options

She was home with me (and the nanny) from 8 weeks until I finally put her in daycare at 7 months. It was really hard to get anything done, even when she was that little. That's not to say it's not doable, but it was really, really hard, as I had a hard time with leaving her in the swing unless she needed something. I wanted to hold her all the time, and even wearing her and working was hard, as it wasn't very comfortable to sit at a computer, typing, with a baby strapped tomy stomach.

I really think it depends on the baby on whether or not it's realistic, though. Some babies may be easier to WAHM than others.
     image image
    10/10/2010
    TTC Since May 2011
    DX: Subclinical Hypothyroidism
    BFP #1: 11/21/2011. EDD: 8/4/2012. Missed M/C & D&C at 11w6d: 1/20/2012.
    BFP #2: 5/24/2012. EDD: 2/2/2013. Natural M/C at 6w0d: 6/9/2012.
    BFP #3: 12/6/2012. EDD: 8/19/2013. Missed M/C at 9w0d: 1/14/2013.
    BFP #4: 4/20/2013. EDD: 1/1/2014. Born at 36w3d: 12/7/2013
    BFP #5: 3/25/2015: EDD: 12/8/2015.
    Lilypie - (IDGc)
  • Options
    I'm just going to say- take a good, hard look at your finances. I thought I couldn't stay home (financially speaking) so I went back to work pt when my son was 12 weeks. He wasn't adjusting, neither was I, I finally said to my dh after being back for about a month "I just can't do this".
    Things were tight- I couponed, opted for used clothes instead of new, didn't go out to eat really, cut back our cable package, etc. it wasn't easy but it was the best choice for our family. Fast-forward 5 years later, we're certainly not rich but because my husband was able to focus on his career he's making more $$ & we are very happy with our choice.
    Good luck- trust that everything happens for a reason & will work out as it should.
  • Options
    I've been a SAH wife since 12-13 weeks due to complications but had planned on being a SAHM once LO car anyway. DH makes 14+ times a year than I was making and I have a four year degree and he went to trade school....go figure!
    I'm lucky, but I coupon like crazy, have got all LO's things on clearance or sales, and am a budgeting pro and this has made me feel much less guilty about "not contributing." Once LO comes DH will be off the hook for anything baby needs at night time since he works very hard and I'm ok with this.
    Honestly, take a really good look at your finances and what you really need and can do without. It may be possible to be a SAHM and not have to work if you are diligent about budgeting, etc.
  • Options
    I'm thinking about the exact same thing... Staying at home versus going back to work. I work salary and can't imagine how I can be gone 10-14 hours a day once I have a little baby...+ traveling. I'm thinking of working an opposite shift as my husband PT or something online in the evenings. But from what I've heard if you really want to stay home you need to master your budget and maybe live with less. I've not heard any SAHM regret their decision to stay home (both young and old) even if it was financially hard.
  • Options
    I took my son with me to work (business owner) from 12 weeks to 15 months. Honestly I got about 1/4 of what I used to accomplish done plus had the mommy guilt that my child wasn't as happy as he could be. DH now works as a college instructor in the field of our business and we work 1 day a week at the business. Switching to 1 income wasn't too tough because we've always lived below our means but I definitely sales shop, price compare etc. we go out less but things are really good.
  • Options
    We did some adjustments to our budget to help out, and I started watching another little guy part time each week and became a Jamberry Consultant (only working from home for now). This hasn't fully made up my previous salary, but we've been able to fill in the gap this way.

Now that our little guy is only napping once a day, I have to get creative and more efficient with my work time, but I do my Jamberry work while he is sleeping. Love the flexibility of it, and being able to work as much or as little as I'd like.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Married my love March 2013
    DS May 2014
    #2 December 2015
    Each year brings another blessing :)
  • Options
    lynem29 said:

I've been a SAH wife since 12-13 weeks due to complications but had planned on being a SAHM once LO car anyway. DH makes 14+ times a year than I was making and I have a four year degree and he went to trade school....go figure!
    I'm lucky, but I coupon like crazy, have got all LO's things on clearance or sales, and am a budgeting pro and this has made me feel much less guilty about "not contributing." Once LO comes DH will be off the hook for anything baby needs at night time since he works very hard and I'm ok with this.
    Honestly, take a really good look at your finances and what you really need and can do without. It may be possible to be a SAHM and not have to work if you are diligent about budgeting, etc.

I'd like to know what your husband does now.