January 2016 Moms

How big is your registry?

edited September 2015 in January 2016 Moms
I registered at BRU and Amazon, and I put everything I could think of on there, but I feel like it's a ton of stuff! (130 something items on BRU and like another 80 on Amazon) We added some stuff that we'll likely buy if we don't get so we can get the completion discount, and we do have big families on both sides (50 invited to the shower for just my side) but I was just curious if people will see my registry and think it's ridiculous or be happy they have options. Thoughts? What does yours look like?

*edited for typos

Re: How big is your registry?

• My BRU registry is probably as big as yours.. but like you said we'll buy whatever we need that's left after my showers. It's just as much a list for us to track what we need to get as anything for others to look at. I'm a FTM so we have nothing lol. Starting from scratch!
  • Your registry isn't for anyone but you, the amount on there isn't a suggestion for how much people should feel obligated to get you. A big registry means more options! I have expensive items on there I don't expect anyone to buy me, I just needed to make a complete list of all my needs and would like the extra completion discount too. I want to say I have around 80 items on mine? Some people are more minimalistic than others and some are getting more hand-me-downs, so don't feel like you need to fit into some range of items.
  • Loading the player...
  • I haven't started the registry process yet, but in general I LOVE big registries, as a gift buyer.  I love options and you never know, I've had the experience of seeing friends' massive registries get bought up super quick, especially for a first grandchild or people with large families.  I don't think people will think anything negative about it unless all of the items are like, $200 and up, haha.  ;)
  • 70ish on amazon although I've already bought 22 myself lol and about 30 at buy buy baby. But I also didn't register for everything under the sun. I don't mind if people get creative and go "off list". 
  • Mine is only 20 items but it's also my third girl. We didn't need clothes but I'm really big about everyone having thier own blankets. Also it's my first time breastfeeding so I needed those items
  • I don't see the number of items being an issue- mine was based off necessity and there aren't any "fun" items.
    People like to buy fun/cute, I felt no need to register those items.
    I have about 75 on amazon and same at target. Some duplicates for each store as I was not sure of the response to online vs in-store.

Two years, two losses and three IUIs...

We are having TRIPLETS!

EDD 1/26/16

GGB born November 2015!

• Thanks ladies! I felt like it was a ton, but it's true, I am starting from scratch as a FTM.
  • FTM here. We have about 65 on Buy Buy Baby and 25 on BRU. We don't have a ton of space to work with, so we tried to be realistic about what was really needed.
  • Struggled so much to make a registry, just felt so overwhelming. We are pretty minimalist and I hit 55 items on my Target registry (only place we registered) and really can't think of anything else I want. Not having a huge shower so I hope I have enough items in a wide enough range and expecting some people will probably go off register. Hoping they see it as a sort of guide to the types/style of thing we like. I don't think big is bad at all, the more options the merrier, wish I could come up with a few more to add!
  • Yea, we have only about 55 or so at BRU, also. Definitely a minimalist approach. We're having a girl, so I feel no need to put clothes on there (ppl will buy what they want anyway). Too many items other mommies say are just novelties anyway. If there's something we really need or want well buy it anyway. And I don't really have a huge house, so less clutter the better! Rather get more diapers, & gift cards for what baby really needs :-)
  • My husband HATES registries and thinks they are greedy gift grabs. I basically forced him to help me make them for both our wedding and baby. He insisted we limit the number of things as to not appear greedy, so ours  at BRU only has ~30 items. I may add a few more here and there as days go by but I know people will buy things they want regardless of whats on the registry so I just picked out the big things that we definitely want and then we can at least use the completion discount to get them. 
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • We just registered last week.  We put 60 I believe on our Babies R-Us one and 68 on the Target registry. Target, however didn't account for the fact that for some items we registered for multiples, so there are probably 80-85 things on there, if everything and in the quantity we wanted are purchased. 
  • babybluubabybluu member
    edited September 2015
    I have about 35 items on mine. I feel like I've already bought most everything I need.
    I'm a ftm as well. I feel like I'm forgetting stuff
  • Same boat I have 80 items on my BRU registry but I know I won't get them all. I more so needed it as a list for myself to see what people buy and what I need to get after my shower also the completion discount lol.
  • I'm a STM so I'm not doing a registry this time around, but whenever I look at a registry for someone else I love to see a big list with lots of options. As long as everything on the list is actually for baby and not just random stuff you want for yourself then I think it's totally ok to have a lot on there. I hate looking at someone's registry and only having a couple of options within the price range I want to spend or seeing that all the fun stuff has already been taken.
  • I'm a STM, but the kids will only be 12-13 months apart. I made 2 registries, mainly as a list for myself as well as the discount codes... I couldn't possibly expect or ask people to buy more after just having a baby. So really, it's just a check list and saving what money we can!
  • I always love big registries! Mine is on BabyList and there is a ton of stuff! Whatever is not bought basically turns into what I would like to buy afterward. Have fun!
  • I have a rather large registry of over 200 items BUT there are many duplicates listed such as clothes, diapers, wipes, and other things. It seems large but it's all stuff we will buy ourselves with the completion discount.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Lilypie - FiGB
    Married DH 11/15/08
    Formerly MissMheMhe
  • My registries have a combined total of 17 items. I take off stuff as I buy it or find it second hand, but even in its heyday there were probably only 40 things. I honestly can't imagine what you mamas are putting on 200 item registries. I don't want that much crap in my house!
  • l4rk said:

My registries have a combined total of 17 items. I take off stuff as I buy it or find it second hand, but even in its heyday there were probably only 40 things. I honestly can't imagine what you mamas are putting on 200 item registries. I don't want that much crap in my house!

My guess is it comes from duplicates? I know lotions, nipple cream, soaps, and butt paste make up like a dozen items on my registry of around 80 or so items. It really is a checklist of everything I need! But yeah some lists are excessive, it would give me a headache to keep up with too many items.
  • @l4rk agree!! What in the world is on the list? I only have about 25 things on my list (FTM) and can't think of anything else. Lol! I didn't feel it was appropriate to register for things like wipes and such...but maybe I should?
    I feel like my problem is that most of my items are $50 or more (aside from little onesies or jammies) - they are the "big" items that I need/want. Carriers, strollers, pack n play, play mats etc.
  • I have like 130 on mine at BRU, a lot of it is stuff we plan on buying and a lot of duplicates (such as diapers, wipes, diaper rash cream, etc.) I mostly have that many stuff on there to see what all I still need to get and what I have, because I tend to forget what all we've gotten when it comes to shopping. Plus, the 10% back at BRU is pretty nice so why not register everything you buy?
  • MommyduclosMommyduclos member
    edited September 2015
    I don't have a registry (third baby) as a shopper I have no problem with large registries, as long as everything on it is actually for baby. I know registries for weddings you are supposed to base off the size of your wedding to a certain degree, but a baby is a baby.

However, when I have bought before I always found it weird when people register for clothes- unless it is a couple super basic items or special items, but people will buy you clothes-no need to register for baby's whole wardrobe. I could see some people do it for the coupon so I don't side eye but I didn't because 99% of the clothes I buy from my kids is used- nice consignment things so the clothes people bought me (tons) were great but I didn't need the coupon for clothes. Same applies for diapers, wipes, and lotions and soaps and things unless you want a specific brand- people will buy those anyways.

Second, I always see stuff listed on "registry checklists" that is for a way older baby, specifically feeding supplies- sippy cups, baby silverware and plates, etc- I don't know what else but there are a lot of things babies clearly don't need for 6+ months, for me I wanted my gifts and my purchases to focus on things I'd actually use in the first 3 months and not things I wouldn't need for a long time, though I don't have space to store a lot of things soo again while I don't side eye I chose to not register for solid food eating supplies, a high chair, a jumparoo or exercauser and focused my large ticket items on things I would also need right away- car seat, swing, bouncy seat, nursery furniture, bumbo, baby carrier what not.

So yeah, again I'm not saying you *shouldn't* register for those items by any means especially if you have space for storage, but personally I didn't and as a gift buyer I also don't like to buy them. Just food for thought if you do want to shrink your registry.
  • Keep in mind that probably a lot of those things you've registered for are small-ticket items, too. It's not uncommon for someone to get all the grooming/health supplies at the same time, but they may not come in a set. 
    Same goes for things like pacifiers, lotion, and such.
    I mean--if you had 10 cribs on there, just because "you couldn't decide," that would be one thing, but I hardly think that's what is going on here. 
    That being said, I really struggled with guilt while I was registering. Our pregnancy was wanted, but timed poorly. (Within a month of us getting pregnant, my husband was diagnosed with post-concussive syndrome from an auto accident, and I worried what people would say.) I felt like we were asking for stuff because he couldn't work for a while. I think over the course of three websites--Walmart, Amazon, and BabySupermall, I had 47 items, and a lot of those were books. Almost no one shopped off the registry. We did get our crib and bedding, though, and that was a big relief. I've also been ticking things off the list as I find them at consignment stores like Once Upon A Child. (I found a My Brest Friend for $12!) I registered for almost no clothes, as this is the first girl in a VERY long time. (My grandmother has 9 grandsons, and this will be the first girl.) I didn't register for many "fun items." Those come in anyway.
    Just because you have 40 or 400 on your list doesn't mean people will feel obligated to get every single thing. It just means you've given them some options on the direction to take.
  • I'm jealous! I'm having a super hard time with my registry. I am doing BabyList and maybe Target (for those who like to physically go in a store). I agree with others though, as a buyer I love big registries, more to choose from! Would love some advice from mamas on what they are putting on theirs, especially STM...
  • MBourne14 said:
    I'm jealous! I'm having a super hard time with my registry. I am doing BabyList and maybe Target (for those who like to physically go in a store). I agree with others though, as a buyer I love big registries, more to choose from! Would love some advice from mamas on what they are putting on theirs, especially STM...
    Watch out with Target! Their return policy is ruthless. We registered for our wedding, and a guest ordered our dishes online.When we got them, the pick list showed the correct pattern, but we received the wrong pattern. We returned it to the store, and we got a major hassle. They offered to give us store credit, but didn't want to cover the shipping for our correct pattern. We ended up just buying ones that were offered in-store, but I sure would have like my original choice!
  • UptownPearlUptownPearl member
    edited September 2015
    ^I'm a FTM but happy to share my registry list if it helps anyone else out:

-a few outfits
    -4 swaddling blankets
    -video monitor
    -snot sucker and refills
    -wipes
    -thermometer
    -lotion, soap, bottom wash, butt paste, hand sanitizer
    -4 burp cloths
    -nursing pads
    -bottle cleaning set and drying rack
    -flower bath for the sink
    -pack of washcloths
    -pee-pee teepees (having a boy)
    -infant towel
    -crib mattress
    -2 changing pad covers
    -changing pad
    -3 crib sheets
    - mattress pad
    -travel system
    -car seat mat
    -rock n play (bassinet alternative)
    -swing
    - pack n play
    -playard sheets
    -pack n play changing table pads
    -travel changing station for diaper bag
    -sound machine
    -boppy and extra slip cover
    -my breast friend feeding pillow

What we already got: crib, glider, clothes, diapers, bottles, breast pump, ergo baby carrier

ETA I said I was a FTM but didn't clarify I've nannied for two infants, so I made my list based on my experience with them and research
  • @UptownPearl - Thanks for sharing!  We're starting our registry this weekend and I am pretty overwhelmed.  We already got a ton of stuff from my mom, but I am afraid I'm missing stuff... but I don't know what, haha.  So helpful to see someone's list!  :)
  • @Mommyduclos Yeah, I do have stuff for 6+ months on there too. I figured we may not get any of it, but if we do, it might save us from running out in months when we do need it. I appreciate your feedback! And yes, at least it's all baby stuff. The closest thing to be being for us is the diaper bag! Lol!
  • @Preggointhecity we registered for some stuff that would be for further on too, with the same thought in mind.  Pacifiers, nipples for the bottles in the next step up, and even the bouncer and play mat, were a few of the things that we put on there, for 6+ months.  They are inexpensive enough, but we put some feeding bowls, spoons, first sippy cups, ect. too. When I've been invited to a shower, I often go for those things because I can make a little gift basket out of all of the stuff and almost create a themed gift.
  • Just wanted to put my two cents in...we registered on Amazon and had ~50 items. Don't feel guilty for having too many things because if something isn't bought before the baby is born, Amazon will give you a 20% discount on it (at least that is how I am reading their policy)! So the more the better, because that gives you more options towards the end.