February 2016 Moms

Halloween Heartbreak

Hi ladies, how many of you are absolute fall lovers like myself? I love the leaves and the pumpkins and pies and Halloween it's a great time of year for me. Well unless your pregnant, anyone know anything about haunted houses? I plan on going to some this Halloween but my SO is concerned about me being scared I'm assuming a blood pressure thing. Anyone else?

Re: Halloween Heartbreak

• I've never heard of such a thing. I say go to all the haunted houses!

• I love fall, I love Halloween. Plus my birthday is exactly a week after. I actually have gone to knotts scary farm while pregnant with my other babies. I would definitely go to haunted houses. Sounds fun to me.
  • Loading the player...
  • Some might not let you if you have to sign a waiver
  • Some might not let you if you have to sign a waiver

This. I tried to go a few years ago but the ones I wanted to go to wouldn't let me.
  • What? Why?!
    6 & 2 year old, 2 losses
  • I wouldn't do it personally... The last one I went to, maybe 2ish years ago was very hands on, and total darkness, being pregnant knowing my balance is already kind of wonky, I would be worried someone might jump out and grab me and cause me to fall. I'm noticing they are more and more hands on lately.  8-|

Spontaneous pregnancy #1
    DD1 July 31, 2011

Trying for #2 since Oct 11
    732973 Clomid Cycles
    2 IUIs 
    3 Fresh IVFs= 1 Ectopic treated with MTX
    Spontaneous pregnancy #2= Ectopic #2= lost left tube
    Spontaneous pregnancy #3= DD2 January 29, 2016
    Spontaneous pregnancy #4= Ectopic #3
    Spontaneous pregnancy #5= Baby #3 is a BOY!!! 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • @Latina211508, GAH I miss Knotts Scary Farm so much. We use to go every year but now that I'm not in the area, I can't. :((

I would totally go pregnant and those haunted houses are fairly elaborate. I don't get super scared and I think I control my anxiety fairly well. I guess it could depend on the person though.
  • I think some of them worry about increased risks associated with fog machines, tripping hazards, and strobe lights for pregnant women. You can always call around to some in your area and find out if they have a restriction before you go.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
                    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • @Latina211508 are you 11/7?? If so we are birthday buddies :D

Op I wouldn't worry about the haunted houses, it's just a quick scare I can't imagine enough to raise your bp. I would just ask your ob at the next appointment and enjoy the holiday!!

Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I steer clear of anything scary - the whole peeping your pants a little bit each time you jump just ruins the fun!
  • @SoSirius aw man that sucks! I love knotts and I really want to go to universal studios. I never been there for their Halloween events. I also don't get scared easily. It's so fun for me.

@lovelydaye yes, November 7th! How awesome birthday buddy!! How young will you be this year? My youngest child is the 8th.
  • I'm sure it's fine. I would equate the physical effects of being momentarily scared similar to having sex. BP and heart rate quickly go up for both and then go back down after a relatively short period of time. No biggie. (Obviously it's not even close to sex, I just think it effects your body's vital signs in a similar way)

• @Latina211508, I've been to both Universal and Six Flags. I don't know if Six Flags was having an off year but it was one of the early years and only Gotham was fogged up and decorated. Oh and Colossus went backwards but I heard that caught on fire last year so maybe it doesn't apply to the new ride. Kind of a let down. Universal was more fun and movie related. They only had specific areas where people tried to scare you outside of the haunted houses but everything had a Halloween creepy feel to it. Knotts still edged out Universal for me but it's worth the drive to check out!
  • Ummm I think you'll be fine. Women have been pregnant in scary or stressful situations throughout human history, and I'd say the level of "fear" experienced at at haunted house would be on par with a car backfiring on the street or something.
  • The one I went to last year did not allow pregnant women to go through.

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBabysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker
  • It is not reccomend for pregnant women to go into haunted houses not so much because of bp issues but because there is no way to control accidents. You might not be scared and be just fine but the person behind you might freak and run or push and suddenly you have been knocked over. Or the person working the HH gets a little too over zealous and knocks you over or into something by accident. Lots of people get accidentally banged up in haunted houses and they certainly don't want to be liable if a pregnant lady goes in and ends up hurt.
  • The only thing I would be worried about is peeing on myself. Maybe wear a pad or something if they let you in.... I cannot in recent memory recall ever seeing a pregnant woman at a haunted house, though. I for sure wasn't looking for them, but I can't remember ever seeing them. I would call just to make sure you don't make the trip and get denied access. 

View Full Size Image

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker

Losses:
     7/16/2014 @ 7 Weeks 2 days
     2/01/2015 @ 4 Weeks 4 days

• bizzerbee said:
    It is not reccomend for pregnant women to go into haunted houses not so much because of bp issues but because there is no way to control accidents. You might not be scared and be just fine but the person behind you might freak and run or push and suddenly you have been knocked over. Or the person working the HH gets a little too over zealous and knocks you over or into something by accident. Lots of people get accidentally banged up in haunted houses and they certainly don't want to be liable if a pregnant lady goes in and ends up hurt.
    The one I went to last year, I ended up hobbling out. They had a bunch of temporary walls set up and the person I was walking through with got scared and pushed me through one of those walls. They didn't even have a first aid kit. They had to find a garbage bag to make me an ice pack.

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBabysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker
  • I was actually talking with my mother about this because I love scary stuff and haunted houses have always been fun but I was concerned about going if it would be safe and the biggest thing she thought of it affecting is if I jumped too hard or too much or in a weird way or whatever I could pull a muscle and even though it wouldn't hurt the baby I would be in pain the rest of the pregnancy.
  • @SoSweetTea1124 Agreed! I would totally pee on myself! I'm not a huge fan of scary haunted house so it's no biggie for me but I love love fall/Halloween! So glad it's finally here.

BabyFetus Ticker
  • I have heard of many places that do not allow pregnant women due to liability issues, but then I haven't been to one in about 6 years because last time, I punched one of those guys that pop out to scare you. He jumped out from my right side, with a chain saw, and my reflex kicked in, and punched him square in the face. Then I screamed and ran. 

September Sig challenge: Fall
    imageimage
  • I don't think it's too big of a deal to go pregnant, if you know your own body and feel like it wouldn't be too much for you. Only thing could be the organizers wouldn't allow it for liability issues. 

There are these billboards for a haunted scary slaughterhouse (it's in a real one) here, and there is a terrifying clown on it. It freaks me out every time I see it! 
  • Went to the doctor today she chucked at the question but said that it would be perfectly fine. It's completely up to my comfort level of I decide to go. Either way it's a green light to me. Lol thanks ladies
  • I was told I shouldn't go, the ones here are all walk through. The doctor said it's something that could pose a risk of falling, and causing unnecessary stress on the baby :/ it's terrible because I LOVE haunted houses/trails. I know myself though and I am very clumsy.

• bizzerbee said:

It is not reccomend for pregnant women to go into haunted houses not so much because of bp issues but because there is no way to control accidents. You might not be scared and be just fine but the person behind you might freak and run or push and suddenly you have been knocked over. Or the person working the HH gets a little too over zealous and knocks you over or into something by accident. Lots of people get accidentally banged up in haunted houses and they certainly don't want to be liable if a pregnant lady goes in and ends up hurt.

The one I went to last year, I ended up hobbling out. They had a bunch of temporary walls set up and the person I was walking through with got scared and pushed me through one of those walls. They didn't even have a first aid kit. They had to find a garbage bag to make me an ice pack.

Man that is rough! I'm not at all surprised they were not equipped with a first aid kit.
  • Yah I think it's not so much the risk of getting scared or anything like that...its the possibility of getting pushed/falling/etc. I used to go to Halloween horror nights at universal studios every year and I would always get accidentally pushed by some drunk person. Also, yes the actors working those things aren't supposed to touch u but they get soo close and they come out of nowhere so u could easily lose ur balance and fall if ur startled. If u live near a major city there are probably a bunch of child friendly ones in ur area...those ones are probably much safer because they have to be.
    I'm going to be looking for a childrens one this year. It won't be as scary but it's still better than nothing
  • I am having my third boy via c-section on October 30th  (mom and niece's birthday!! and of course the day before my favorite HOLIDAY!) Only crappy thing is, I won't be able to celebrate from the hospital bed... I will be missing out on the trick or treating with my other boys and all the fun stuff.  I do however plan on celebrating with them in my own way before the hospital, such as a pumpkin patch, hay ride, all the fun fall festivities I can find, and of course being creative at home. We have already made crafts!!! (thank goodness for pinterest!) 
    I don't think there is anything a pregnant woman should avoid, except maybe a loud movie theatre (sorry ladies, but if the baby can hear and its over 50 decibels its going to scare the baby too!) and of course the scary trail hay rides or the haunted houses... I think everything else should be fun to do!!! I wish I could use my bump to dress up for Halloween!!!  With all my pregnancies I was never lucky enough to do that haha.   I always had my babies right before October!   I say if you are pregnant during Halloween its fun to take advantage of things, just don't do anything that could be harmful for your trimester or the baby... Obviously if you are early on and the baby can't hear yet, then you can go to move theatres and do things that other further pregnant women can't do.   :) so it truly depends.

35 Weeks with Baby Boy #3 

Jace Thomas- 2 years old and Zachary William 5 years old!