June 2015 Moms

Baby's first cold

btm013btm013 member
edited September 2015 in June 2015 Moms
Has your little one been sick yet?UghI think my 4 month old is getting his first cold. It's not surprising since my husband and I are getting over one. Any tips or things to watch out for? I've been using the nose aspirator and giving him lots of cuddles! As a FTM I'm nervous.

Re: Baby's first cold

• My baby had a cold for 2 days. I've been using the little noses brand saline mist for his nose and giving him a bath in the Johnson&johnson vapor bath every night. After bath time before bed I rub baby Vicks on his back and I run a cool mist humidifier in his room. I called his pediatrician and that's what they recommended since he's to young (3months) for any over the counter cold medication. I hope this helps & I hope your little one feels better soon
  • Thanks @naccor. I hope your LO is on the mend. One woman in my mom and tot group told me to put Vicks on his feet and out socks in. I never heard of that before. I'm going to run out tomorrow and pick up the saline drops and Vicks. I will also run his humidifier. Thanks for your tips!
  • Loading the player...
  • I wasn't a believer in the Vicks on the feet trick until I tried it when I was sick & it does actually work!
  • We did the saline for her nose, raised the mattress so her nose would drain when she was sleeping Vicks on chest and feet. We noticed our LO was vomiting a lot more and it's apparently from the mucus they are swallowing.
  • Uggh I'm noticing the extra spit up. I read the adult Vicks wasn't safe for the chest but ok for the feet (with socks). Did anyone else hear that? I see they make a baby one that I will be buying tomorrow! I have the humidifier on now but I'm on high alert and can't sleep. Thankfully LO had his 4 Month check up on Wednesday.
  • We're dealing with the same thing...it doesn't seem to be bothering her but the rattle when she breathes is so sad and there is so much spit up. DH and I are dealing with light seasonal allergies right now so we think that's her deal too. She HATES the saline drops and screams bloody murder when we use them. I ordered a humidifier on amazon yesterday so it should be here tomorrow...I may try the Vicks on the feet thing tonight, good tip!
  • delujm0 said:

We're dealing with the same thing...it doesn't seem to be bothering her but the rattle when she breathes is so sad and there is so much spit up. DH and I are dealing with light seasonal allergies right now so we think that's her deal too. She HATES the saline drops and screams bloody murder when we use them. I ordered a humidifier on amazon yesterday so it should be here tomorrow...I may try the Vicks on the feet thing tonight, good tip!

Tonight run a hot water only shower, cloSe the bathroom door and steam the room with LO, it will help unclog her the same way a humidifier does
  • Oh no! I've been lucky that we've been able to skate thru without any colds yet. But I wanted to say, when I was pregnant and totally miserable without being able to take any meds, my OB suggested the Vicks on the feet. She swore by it. I honestly don't remember how well it worked, because I slept like a rock that night (which is probably indicative of it having at least some success)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • LO is 14 weeks today and has already had 2. Nose Frida and saline spray are our best friends. I love the boogie wipes, too, for stubborn gunk in his nose. Humidifier and a small plug in vicks vaporizer (ok'd by pedi) was super helpful as well.
  • LO got sick over the weekend, so sad. She was up screaming and coughing every half hour Saturday night.. We elevated the mattress but she hated it.. Nose Frieda every few hours and steaming up the bathroom a few times a day per the nurses.. She seems to be getting a little better, I feel so guilty though since she caught it from me.. Poor little girl :(
  • Two colds since starting daycare a month ago :(
    One thing ped suggested was to monitor temperature - that's the main thing that would indicate its more serious than just a cold.
    Me-37, DH-38
    Married in 2006, TTC #1 since Jan 2012

Baby Boy born June 1, 2015

He settles her in her home as a happy mother of children, praise the Lord! (Psalms 113:9)
    And the peace of God, which surpasses all understand, will guard your heart and mind in Jesus Christ (Philippians 4:7)

• L/O woke up wheezing and congested this morning. Poor thing! I've been using the nose bulb thing and giving extra cuddles. I'll have to pick up some Vicks today!
  • My LO got a cold the first week at daycare the week of Aug 24th. Just this week I asked his doctor what we should do since it has been going on for almost a month. He suggested the saline drops. He also said it is very common for infants to get cold like symptoms their first fall/winter especially children who go to daycare. He said as long as LO is eating well and not having a difficult time breathing and no temp no need for a visit. I feel horrible and helpless listening to his congestion. I am going to have to try the Vicks idea!
  • @btm013 our little guy loves it and laughs. I think his nose is ticklish.
  • btm013 said:

I ended up taking LO to the ped. He spiked a fever so I felt it best. Thankfully it's just a bad cold. No fluid in the lungs. They recommended the same thing - saline drops, nose Frieda, Vicks on feet, elevate the mattress and monitor the temp. I was so disgusted by that nose Frieda but I am a believer. That thing is amazing and I'm pretty sure he even likes it. He smiles when I do it haha. This is the worst. I hope everyone's LO are feeling better. Thanks for you support. I love this group!

Glad LO is OK!
    I went to Target for a nose frida and they were out. :(
    I also thought they were weird and overhyped but I'm worthless with the bulb suckers. And if LO doesn't freak out with it, thats even better!
    Me-37, DH-38
    Married in 2006, TTC #1 since Jan 2012

Baby Boy born June 1, 2015

He settles her in her home as a happy mother of children, praise the Lord! (Psalms 113:9)
    And the peace of God, which surpasses all understand, will guard your heart and mind in Jesus Christ (Philippians 4:7)

• My girl just got over a cold and I started with the bulb sucker and she hated it. I finally got the nose Frieda (they had th at Walmart too) and she doesn't seem to mind it as much and it worked really well. Just be sure not to over suck too much. I was concerned that it would effect her ears because you could suck out so much more air than the bulb so just be conscious of that. You just have to wait for their immune systems to beat the cold and just keep them as comfortable as possible in the meantime, you know.
  • naccornaccor member
    edited September 2015
    I used the baby brand vicks...what's a nose Frieda?!
  • Nose Frieda is a magical yet disgusting product. You literally suck out the boogies but there's no actual contact with your mouth. I was so hesitant to use it but I am a believer now.
  • I totally recommend the nasal mist/spray over the drops if you have a choice. As pp mentioned my LO would scream bloody murder with the drops, with the mist, he tolerates it better. Still doesn't like it though
  • I did the Vicks on the bottom of the feet thing last night. LO slept from 645-445. That's long even for my good little sleeper so I think it helped! The humidifier will hopefully arrive today, she still sounds stuffy but acts unaffected.
  • @btm013 I had a nose Frieda & returned it cause I was grossed out. So their boogies don't actually make it to your mouth? How can I be sure?! I'm afraid to try! I'll go get one though if it works better than the suction bulb.
  • @ciennah99 I completely understand!! Just the thought is gross. But no the snot does not reach your mouth at all. There are barriers which protect you. My husband used it today for the first time and he was amazed. LO doesn't even seem to mind it. He probably knows it provides relief.
  • @btm013 they should make that clear on the package & they'd get even more sales I bet! I had a couple nurse friends buy it for me. I should've figured they knew what they were talking about but yeah the thought of boogers in my mouth-I just wasn't having it!
  • We're on the first cold bus too. She's been super stuffy. I wish she could just hock one loogie because that's all it seems to be. The nose Frieda is a battle with her now so I'm stuck. It's been 3 days of stuffiness so hopefully it'll clear soon. It just sounds so bad in the morning and when she eats.
    TTC: 1/2014 BFP: 9/24 EDD: 6/8/2015 Sorry for the poor man's siggy...ticker won't load regardless of how many tips I read.
  • ^^^oh the booger rattle!!!!! It's seriously on my list of things that drive me crazy. One of my tricks was to use the saline spray first to loosen everything up, then almost immediately use the nose Frieda. Sometimes you can get the illusive boogers with that technique. Also sitting in a steamy bathroom helps. Hope all your lo's get well soon.
  • We're officially into our first cold. Hoping it doesn't get any worse! Poor baby is miserable. The doctor suggested getting a humidifier. I know a few of you have tried it, is it worth the money or does the steam in the bathroom work just as well?
  • I dunno, we have a humidifier but given how big a room is, I don't know how effective it's really being for her. It IS making our rug wet though, so grrrrrr.

Can you ask your doctor for a nebulizer, which essentially is a device that projects a moist saline mist at their nose? We have one, and do a "session" in the morning and before bed to help her phlegm loosen and breathing open up. It's like a targeted version of running a hot shower for them!
  • cheriep3 said:

We're officially into our first cold. Hoping it doesn't get any worse! Poor baby is miserable. The doctor suggested getting a humidifier. I know a few of you have tried it, is it worth the money or does the steam in the bathroom work just as well?

I used a humidifier right next to her crib and put Vicks on her feet when she had her last cold. I think it made a difference.
  • @cheriep3 I agree with pp - humidifier seems to help our LO. Who is on round 2 with colds...dang daycare!!!
  • Has anyone else received a bronchiolitis (sp?) Diagnosis? Baby got sent home from daycare today, and Dr. Thinks that's what is going on.
  • hudson202 said:

Has anyone else received a bronchiolitis (sp?) Diagnosis? Baby got sent home from daycare today, and Dr. Thinks that's what is going on.

I did last week. My little man is still really stuffed up but he's a lot better than he was. All you can really do is isolate them until it runs it's course. It's terrible :(
  • Yep we had a bout of it an then croup. Ran its course over a few days. Our doc sent us home with a nebulizer, which helped!