March 2015 Moms
Options

A very active baby

Even before he was born, my baby was very active. He moved often and kicked and punched a lot. Now, he's always moving. We can hold him for abut 15-20 minutes and he'll be calm, then he's wriggling to get out of our arms and onto the floor. He plays with his toys very well on his own, and can entertain himself for quite a while. But he's constantly moving, crawling, and wiggling when he's in our arms. Now, I don't want to jump to conclusions, just worried about the possibility of ADHD. He's a pretty chill baby for the most part, he isn't fussy and doesn't cry a lot. But when we're holding him, he's climbing on us, flapping his arms and legs, etc.

Does anyone else have an active baby that loves to move around and explore? Should I be worried??

Re: A very active baby

• Options
    My little girl is the same way! She's constantly moving, even in her sleep. She eats like crazy and is tiny, she just burns it off. My mom says I was the exact same way when I was a baby, and I never had any issues with hyperactivity or attention span. I wouldn't worry about it, I think being active is a good thing!
  • Options
    Sounds like you just have an adorable active baby!! My son is so lazy... Send some energy this way!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    As PP said, I wouldn't be too concerned. My LO moved nonstop before she was born, too, and she is a mover now. ADHD is not able to be diagnosed before school starts (at least, I was always hesitant to put a label on my patients before then) so to look at normal variations of infant behavior to try to predict childhood behavioral health issues would be premature. Some infants love to snuggle up quietly for awhile, others decide that the world is too interesting to sit still for too long, and most will go through phases that alternate from one extreme to the other. And even if he does end up with ADHD in the end, it would be pointless to worry about it at his age now. So enjoy your active little boy (and the added bonus of burning off any extra pregnancy weight while running after him once he's mobile)!
  • Options
    Mine is the same. Always moving and if we are holding him,we better be moving too. If we sit still too long he starts squirming and fussing. I think they are just active and very observant, want to look around. My mom said I was the same too.
  • Options
    Same here - my mum also said myself and my sisters were the same at this age. The Wonder Weeks app gives some interesting info on their views of the world at this time, and it's recently, or about to, become very new and interesting to them. No wonder they want to get moving and explore it all!
  • Options
    Also have a very active daughter. She will wriggle and fuss if held for over 10 minutes, I'll put her in the floor to play, she will then roll and get annoyed that she can't go anywhere else as she's not quite crawling yet! Half the time it looks like she's skydiving :)) I wouldn't worry at all! As PP, adhd cannot usually be spotted this early on! You should be thankful your not going to end up with a potato lazy baby and as PP, burning all that extra baby weight off! Sometimes I'd love to be sitting still for more than half hour before she gets frustrated or stuck but I wouldn't change it at all. My daughter is obviously happy (or just very nosey!) enough to be as active as she is! I know I'm going to regret saying this when she's up and walking around haha
  • Options
    SharLovesAlexSharLovesAlex member
    edited September 2015
    AGM0616 said:

As PP said, I wouldn't be too concerned. My LO moved nonstop before she was born, too, and she is a mover now. ADHD is not able to be diagnosed before school starts (at least, I was always hesitant to put a label on my patients before then) so to look at normal variations of infant behavior to try to predict childhood behavioral health issues would be premature. Some infants love to snuggle up quietly for awhile, others decide that the world is too interesting to sit still for too long, and most will go through phases that alternate from one extreme to the other. And even if he does end up with ADHD in the end, it would be pointless to worry about it at his age now. So enjoy your active little boy (and the added bonus of burning off any extra pregnancy weight while running after him once he's mobile)!

I know it can't be and is impossible to diagnose this early on, and activity in infancy is not always an indication of behavioral issues later down the line...I'm just worried, I guess. I worry about a lot of things, because I didn't know I was pregnant for the first 3-4 months. I know it sounds weird, but I was spotting and had always had irregular periods. I continued to have a drink or two on the weekends. My husband's brother and friends smoked around me. Of course, once I went to the doctor and found out I was pregnant, I stopped all those things. I'm worried about any long term damage I might have inflicted on him due to my carelessness. So far, he hasn't been sick (he's 6 months old now), but I still worry, maybe unnecessarily, but I worry nonetheless. I suppose it's just a bridge I'll cross if I ever come to it. For now, I'll try to enjoy my active baby. It's just hard, knowing what I know about autism and ADHD (I majored in psychology on college) and the stigmas attached and how it affects children. I don't want that for my son. I'd feel awful if he were to develop either later on and I'd contributed to that.
  • Options

AGM0616 said:

I know it can't be and is impossible to diagnose this early on, and activity in infancy is not always an indication of behavioral issues later down the line...I'm just worried, I guess. I worry about a lot of things, because I didn't know I was pregnant for the first 3-4 months. I know it sounds weird, but I was spotting and had always had irregular periods. I continued to have a drink or two on the weekends. My husband's brother and friends smoked around me. Of course, once I went to the doctor and found out I was pregnant, I stopped all those things. I'm worried about any long term damage I might have inflicted on him due to my carelessness. So far, he hasn't been sick (he's 6 months old now), but I still worry, maybe unnecessarily, but I worry nonetheless. I suppose it's just a bridge I'll cross if I ever come to it. For now, I'll try to enjoy my active baby. It's just hard, knowing what I know about autism and ADHD (I majored in psychology on college) and the stigmas attached and how it affects children. I don't want that for my son. I'd feel awful if he were to develop either later on and I'd contributed to that.
    That does seem like something that could become worrisome. But for now, there's just not much you can do. Thankfully, even though there is still a stigma, it is far less now than it ever was. And you are a good mom to be looking out for your LO! And while there are a lot of things that can affect children before birth that you can control, there are also things that are well outside of your control, both before birth and afterwards. So hope you can turn your worrying into contentment and enjoy every day of your little man's childhood! I know it might be hard not to worry, but it does sound like your LO is developing just right for now!
  • Options
    Thank you, @AGM0616. His doctor's visits always go well. He doesn't seem to have any problems developmentally. I just worry, I guess. But thank you for your response! It made me feel a little better. And thank you, @MeganG216, @Pumpkin91407, @secretbaba, and @daniellarhh for telling me about your babies! Glad to hear Alex isn't the only little busybody.
  • Options
    @maybkn0t As stated in PP, it's not possible to predict ADHD this early on in babies lives. My daughter is so active and the doctors are very impressed with her. Nothing's wrong with her in any way shape or form. My daughter doesn't need calming down, every baby is different and I'm going to let her be who she wants to be, active or a couch potato!
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    **Removed for TOU violation**
  • Options
    daniellarhhdaniellarhh member
    edited September 2015
    Well said! Taking the p*ss because your obviously curious and an a little concerned is bang out of order! Completely agree when you say about 'no wonder so many women don't like posting here', the about of abuse I've had on here because I'm a first time mother and also curious about my daughter! %-(
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    Well said! Taking the p*ss because your obviously curious and an a little concerned is bang out of order! Completely agree when you say about 'no wonder so many women don't like posting here', the about of abuse I've had on here because I'm a first time mother and also curious about my daughter! %-(
    **Removed for TOU Violation**
  • Options
    MyCousinVinnyMyCousinVinny member
    edited September 2015
    **Removed for TOU Violation**
    A bully? I think you might not know what that really means. I am far from a bully.
  • Options
    I had started posting on this site as a new mom thinking it would be a lot better than the baby center area. Over there they are ruthless and rude and will make other moms feel like crap. Here so far it's been ok except for recent days where people decide to make rude comments or even pointless ones like some of the the ones on this post. I know everyone's entitled to their own opinion but this is supposed to be a place we can go and get support not get shot down or made to feel like we are idiots just because we have a question and are new to this.

As for ADHD I was thinking the same thing. i know it's not possible to diagnose this now and I know he's just a baby but mines 6 months old and takes one nap a day for like 15 minutes. It concerned me because he is all over the place and extremely active never settling unless it's time for bed at night. This one nap business just started last Monday but he's been extremely active since he came home from his 4 month stay in the NICU.
  • Options
    MyCousinVinnyMyCousinVinny member
    edited September 2015
    thumper90 said:
    I had started posting on this site as a new mom thinking it would be a lot better than the baby center area. Over there they are ruthless and rude and will make other moms feel like crap. Here so far it's been ok except for recent days where people decide to make rude comments or even pointless ones like some of the the ones on this post. I know everyone's entitled to their own opinion but this is supposed to be a place we can go and get support not get shot down or made to feel like we are idiots just because we have a question and are new to this. As for ADHD I was thinking the same thing. i know it's not possible to diagnose this now and I know he's just a baby but mines 6 months old and takes one nap a day for like 15 minutes. It concerned me because he is all over the place and extremely active never settling unless it's time for bed at night. This one nap business just started last Monday but he's been extremely active since he came home from his 4 month stay in the NICU.
    Um, I did give support.  Support comes in all different ways and to be honest, I was quite shocked to read that someone was seriously considering that their 6 month old could have ADHD.  My support came that she should further educate herself on developmental stages and milestones for infants this age.  From what she's posted, it sounds extremely normal for a baby to be wriggling, not wanting to be held for long periods of time, etc.  

I apologize if my support came a little more bluntly than most would prefer but that's how I roll.  I don't coddle or hand-hold but the absense of that doesn't make me a bully or any other name you'd like to call me.

Which is a violation of TOU, btw. 
  • Options
    @thumper90 I agree that I've appreciated the support and advice on this board, and the fact that we have overall remained free from drama (at least recently). I am hoping this all blows over and was planning on just ignoring it (they're allowed to post whatever they want on a public forum, after all). I'm not a fan of sarcastic remarks or insensitive comments, so I just skip over them and try not to get caught up. To those of you who are March '15 moms that are genuinely here for advice and support, I don't think you need to go anywhere. This is a public forum and we don't need to feed into the drama. (And I know that saying that opens up the door for even more drama, but whatever. I'm staying around. I like the encouragement and support we have had so far and hope to keep it that way!)
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    @MyCousinVinny Telling me not to "humiliate myself or doctors" is supportive? I didn't ask for my hand to be held. @AGM0616 replied and was supportive without being rude. And yes, putting someone down or trying to make them feel stupid IS bullying. I never said he had ADHD now. I know that's not possible. I was asking if there was a correlation for anyone that had older children. I've educated myself plenty; doesn't mean that I'm not a first time mom with (perhaps) irrational concerns or fears. Even what you KNOW to be true sometimes goes out the window when it comes to your child. So, if that is how you show your support, I'd rather you didn't. If you think I'm looking for an apology, I'm not. I just think you should know that your comment was not helpful or supportive in any way. And I see it was a violation. But my point was made.

@AGM0616 Normally I'd ignore such comments. But I was genuinely shocked by the sarcastic remarks and rudeness. I won't let it stop me from posting here, and I hope you won't either, @thumper90. I think next time I'll do my best to ignore it. Just because someone tries to tear me down or make me feel stupid doesn't mean I have to let them. It's just sad that there are some moms here that think that's okay.