December 2015 Moms
Options

Must-haves vs. Wastes of money

STMs and MTMs help us FTMs out. What purchases are unnecessary and why? Also, what purchases and expenses are must haves? This thread was inspired by the doula/midwife thread a little below it. 

Example: If you have a large family the intends on hospital visits, would it be sensible to get a private room or an unnecessary expense?

Or, is a 2nd carriage/stroller an unnecessary expense? 

Let us know!

Re: Must-haves vs. Wastes of money

• Options
    When my babies were little, we only had 1 car/ 1 stroller. It worked fine as I was the only one using it. As they got older, we switched to a little umbrella stroller because we just liked the freedom of not having to fold/ unfold/ store the big bulky kind. I can see getting additional strollers if you plan on having your family babysit for you for any length of time so you don't have to pack/unpack a million things for little ones. Yard sales a blessing for getting extras if that is something you are interested in.

Unnecessary gear:
    Wipe warmer, baby bathtub(kitchen sink works fine, and I always got sent home with the pink tub for the first couple months), baby shoes,diaper pail ( I was given one with my third and hated it after about a month. They end up smelling horrific and squishing the diapers into the top becomes nasty. Walmart plastic bags work just was well and go out daily with the kitchen trash. That's about all I can think of at the moment.
  • Options
    Well, to answer the two questions above...
    Our hospital has a separate wing for suite rooms - like they include an attached separate room for family to hang out in and include a personal chef to cook meals. They also charge up front and insurance doesn't cover it. They say it is usually paid for by the grandparents that want to be there.
    The rest of our maternity ward is only private rooms, of varying sizes. It is first-come, first-serve on which room you get. I wouldn't pay extra for any particular room, but I don't think that's even an option.
    The other thing is that if it's not crowded, you could maybe be given a private room and not have to pay for the upgrade. Again, our hospital doesn't have that option, so I don't know.
    That being said, if the only way to guarantee there wasn't another patient/family in my room was to pay for a private room, I would seriously look into that.

As for a second stroller... We had our jogger/travel system stroller and then a SnapNGo for quick, little trips that we didn't need the big all-terrain tires for.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I will be a FTM and plan on cloth diapering. I have been told by several people to skip the cloth diaper pail all together and to get a small, cheap seal top trash can and use regular trash bags. Cloth diapers need washed minimum of every other day, therefore they won't be spending much time in the pail anyway.
  • Options
    Are there any other city moms that have a way to deal with diapers than cannot go out daily? We only can put out our trash 2x per week and I KNOW that ALL the diaper pails will smell way before 4 days.

Would ziplock bags for poopy diapers inside a pail work?
  • Options

Are there any other city moms that have a way to deal with diapers than cannot go out daily? We only can put out our trash 2x per week and I KNOW that ALL the diaper pails will smell way before 4 days.

My aunt was in the same situation with her twins. She bought doggy poop bags and tied the diapers inside them. She said they were cheaper than the ziplock bags (I have never bought them personally) and the trash never smelled.
  • Options

We have a diaper genie and love it. We change it about twice a week and it totally doesn't smell. As long as you are using it correctly it should contain any smell.
  • Options
    I'm a FTM but nannied for a family and used a diaper genie and loved it! I don't think it ever smelled bad as long as you empty it.
  • Options
    I think sometimes must haves can vary depending on the individual needs and that's a big thing to consider. Most of the time I see changing tables on these lists but for me with back and knee issues it was a must have and I've never regretted it in the least.

Similarly different types of strollers fit different needs better than others. We started out with a travel system which was great, then switched to a light umbrella stroller when DS got big enough to use it. The umbrella stroller fits much easier in the car trunk and has been great for shopping trips. However we're now talking about a jogging stroller. We go to the zoo a lot and the rough terrain eats up any other type of tire.

@BostonBaby1 We tried the diaper genie but have liked the munchkin arm and hammer pail much better. I felt like the arm and hammer is easier to change bags and with the baking soda dispenser in top it does a pretty good job with the smell.
  • Options
    @bostonbaby1 I know on an older thread about diaper bags @redfallon recommended scented disposable diaper bags! I put them on my registry :)

SaveSave
  • Options
    @bostonbaby1 I know on an older thread about diaper bags @redfallon recommended scented disposable diaper bags! I put them on my registry :)
    You can get them for really cheap at the dollar store and they last a long time. I only use them in the diaper bag because we have a diaper pail (Arm & Hammer) for home use.

Jamie

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Options
    redfallon said:

You can get them for really cheap at the dollar store and they last a long time. I only use them in the diaper bag because we have a diaper pail (Arm & Hammer) for home use.

This is amazing! Thank you guys. So do you think that if I use these bags inside of an arm and Hammer pail that I'll be good for four days?
  • Options
    I'm a FTM, but basically the last of my friends to start a family. Their must-haves and wastes of money really varied based on personality and lifestyle. Some can't live without a boppy, others chucked it after a few days, some say a good stroller is a lifesaver while others barely used theirs because they ended up loving their ergo/moby/bjorn/ etc.

I personally used Babylist for a nursery checklist because it makes you take a lifestyle quiz and recommends items based on that. It really helped narrow things down. Hopefully I've registered for things I'll actually use!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    This is amazing! Thank you guys. So do you think that if I use these bags inside of an arm and Hammer pail that I'll be good for four days?
    These won't work in the Arm & Hammer diaper pail. It has its own large bags. These are little baggies that hold one diaper.

Jamie

• Options
    redfallon said:

redfallon said:

These won't work in the Arm & Hammer diaper pail. It has its own large bags. These are little baggies that hold one diaper.

Ah. How long do you think the arm and Hammer diaper pails can contain the stench? That is if one changes the cartridge frequently?
  • Options
    We've used one since Emily was born and it works great. I'd say we change the bag maybe once a week or week and a half - whenever it's full. It doesn't smell.

Jamie

• Options
    I'm already going to use cloth, but if I wasn't able to take the trash out regularly it would make my decision even easier. Much easier to just throw it all in the wash (and with breastmilk poops you don't even have to do anything special - just throw it all in the wash machine) and then there is no smell and much less waste!
  • Options
    Regarding private vs shared rooms - it's really a matter of what you can afford and if you are ok with sharing your space. I shared a room w my son and I hated it.
    - My roommate was quiet but her husband and family were not so I couldn't rest the way I wanted.
    - She was really young, had a c-section and was in a lot of pain so her nurse kept coming in the room checking on her, which (again) kept me from resting the way I wanted
    - Even though I have siblings and lived in a dorm I never shared a room and I learned I'm not built for that. I made the nurse come in and clean the entire bathroom and leave a bottle of spray, paper towels and disinfectant wipes for later use... lucky for me my roommate caught my drift and would clean up after every use. I don't want to know how that bathroom would have looked without that and this is the main reason I will not share a room again. Like I said my roommate was nice but everything about her existence annoyed the hell outta me and I wanted to push anything associated with her out the window. After being in labor for 24 hours the last thing I want to deal with is another person, let alone another person in a similar situation. I spent most of my time in the nursery and I even tried to leave because I wanted space!

If you can afford it, regardless of whom may or may not visit, get a private room. I 1M% recommend it if nothing else so you can rest relatively uninterrupted.
  • Options
    @maiatene said:
    Regarding private vs shared rooms - it's really a matter of what you can afford and if you are ok with sharing your space. I shared a room w my son and I hated it. - My roommate was quiet but her husband and family were not so I couldn't rest the way I wanted. - She was really young, had a c-section and was in a lot of pain so her nurse kept coming in the room checking on her, which (again) kept me from resting the way I wanted - Even though I have siblings and lived in a dorm I never shared a room and I learned I'm not built for that. I made the nurse come in and clean the entire bathroom and leave a bottle of spray, paper towels and disinfectant wipes for later use... lucky for me my roommate caught my drift and would clean up after every use. I don't want to know how that bathroom would have looked without that and this is the main reason I will not share a room again. Like I said my roommate was nice but everything about her existence annoyed the hell outta me and I wanted to push anything associated with her out the window. After being in labor for 24 hours the last thing I want to deal with is another person, let alone another person in a similar situation. I spent most of my time in the nursery and I even tried to leave because I wanted space! If you can afford it, regardless of whom may or may not visit, get a private room. I 1M% recommend it if nothing else so you can rest relatively uninterrupted.
    I'm glad that is not something I have to worry about. My hospital only has private rooms. You stay in the same room for everything, too: labor, delivery, and recovery.

Jamie

• Options
    @Bostonbaby1, you could tie the diaper in those individual bags and then put it in the arm and hammer pail. I think that's what I'll do with the next one. We had the munchkin one too and it served us well in terms of smell (only changed 1-2 week), but then we broke it (kinda hard to close) so we invested in a different one and we hate it. The smell overpowers the room so much so that we now take poopy diapers out immediately and just use it for wet. So i think i'm going to toss it and go back to the Munchkin.

In terms of rooms: we delivered at a hospital in the city where you have to pay for a private room, and even that is first come first serve. The first night, nothing was available so I had a roommate that had had twins and the nurses were coming in every hour. My husband squeezed in with me in the single bed but needless to say neither one of us got any sleep and it was pretty bad. So the next night, we splurged for a private room and it was SO worth it even if we had to dish out the $. So this time I'm hoping we get one from night one - i'd definitely recommend one.

For strollers, we have our main one (Citi Mini GT) and the snap and go. Snap n go was awesome for the first 6-7 months especially when traveling either by car or plane. So if you can, i'd get both just because of the ease of the car seat and how light it is (and can do it all with one arm). 

In terms of other items that weren't necessary, i can't really think of any since we were pretty lean the first time. Get the Nose Frieda. We have 2. And about to toss them and get 2 new ones for the new baby. Best advice i can give new moms (especially with all of us having winter babies). Oh and I loved the Boppy - even though I couldn't breastfeed, it helped my arms a lot to use it around my waist while feeding. And bonus points: serves as a great prop for those monthly pics ;)

• Options
    redfallon said:
    ^^^^ This is us, exactly. I like the Arm & Hammer... and if DD doesn't get officially potty trained soon, I might be buying another one. It's convenient. 

Also - Keep in mind that one mom/baby's "must haves" are going to be another's "waste of money" items. Example; for DD, the rock n play was a MUST. We didn't have it for the 1st two weeks, but it was a life saver afterwards. Same for the baby swing. I have another mom friend who refused to put her baby in anything that was inclined to sleep because she didn't want the baby to get used to sleeping on anything but a flat surface. To each their own. Everyone is different. 

imageimage

• Options
    I wish my hospital only had private rooms! They have both & it's first come first serve on those. I thought they were the same $, but maybe not. Either way, I think I'll want out ASAP, as the longer I stay, the more it costs, us, having a 20% coinsurance! But if I have a roommate, I'll probably bitch until they let me out! I had my gallbladder out about 10 years ago & had to stay overnight & shared a room. My mother was appalled at how nasty I was. I am now thinking about it too, as she was an old woman, who was alone, in pain & suffering from dementia. But she kept MOANING! She was so loud, I couldn't sleep & I was in so much pain from the air they pump into you & out of it from the morphine. I just kept shouting "can someone please shut her up!" As I cried. So, yeah, I really don't want a roommate in this instance.
  • Options
    I have a question that might be good for this thread:

STM, is it worth it to go straight for a stroller that can have a seat added if you want more than one child? I originally wanted the City Mini GT, but after talking to a mom in Panera who was using it, she told me to go right for the City Select because you can add a second seat when the time comes. I hope to have my second child when my first could still fit in a stroller, so what do you think? I don't want to have the GT and then wish I'd gone right for the Select.
    Angela

Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Salemkitty13Salemkitty13 member
    edited September 2015
    My hospital only has private rooms (thank goodness) you stay in the same room for labor, delivery and recovery.
    We have the munchkin arm and hammer diaper pail. It doesn't smell and we love it. DS is 2. We change the bag about once a week.
    We have the same stroller situation as @AlejandraN2 city mini gt and snap n go. Love them both!! I haven't decided what we are going to do about a double stroller but I know I'm going to keep my city mini gt to use after DS is too big for the stroller but I still need one for DS2.
    We had a bunch of stuff that my sister let me borrow. We never used the baby bath tub, the bath ring, or the bumpo. We used the swing maybe twice and could have done without the bassinet easily. We rarely used the exerciser, we were advised not to use it. We didn't use the high chair (it was one of the adjustable ones that 'grows' with the child) until he was about 7 months, I ended up giving it back to her and getting the $15 one from IKEA, which I love. I loved my boppy so much I had 2. The PNP was great and we used it tons. We never had a rock n play. I had a lightweight bouncer I carried from room to room in case I needed to sit him down. And I love my Ergo.
  • Options
    I couldn't second a Boppy more. We got one with DS and I loved it. We're now planning to get another one for this baby as DS refuses to give his up. He's 11 months and still sits and lays in it multiple times daily.
  • Options
    I have a question that might be good for this thread:

STM, is it worth it to go straight for a stroller that can have a seat added if you want more than one child? I originally wanted the City Mini GT, but after talking to a mom in Panera who was using it, she told me to go right for the City Select because you can add a second seat when the time comes. I hope to have my second child when my first could still fit in a stroller, so what do you think? I don't want to have the GT and then wish I'd gone right for the Select.
    It depends on how close you are going to have your kids together. I am in this same situation right now. We got the City Mini GT and loved it for DD. Now she is 2 and LO will be here in 3 months. I don't use the stroller as much as I used to because she can sit in shopping carts. I still use it if we go somewhere like the mall. Yes, she can walk, but she walks at toddler speed and I'm holding her hand, and I can't carry anything, so we use the stroller for those situations. If I took her to a big zoo, I would also take the stroller even if I let her walk a little.

In any case, we got a City Select* (did not get the 2nd seat with it) so that I can put the infant seat in one slot and the regular seat in the lower slot for DD. By the time that LO is old enough to sit in the regular stroller seat, I may not need a second regular seat if DD is walking more often. I'll reach that bridge when we get there, but it is always an option, or I could get her a glider board. It depends on how things are at that time. She would be almost 3 then.

So yeah, if you are going to have them with less than 3 years between them, I'd say go for the City Select, but don't get the 2nd seat because you can get that separately later on, if you even need to get it at all. All City Select model years work interchangeably. You can get the $20-25 adapters to put the regular seat in the lower slot and the car seat adapter for the infant seat in the regular slot.

*I was able to get a brand-new 2013 model for $299 at allbeebaby.com

Jamie

• Options
    angetralala it probably does make more sense for you to buy the Select but i love my GT so much i wouldn't have traded it even if knew back then that I'd now be in the market for a double stroller (like @SalemKitty13 I'm also holding out till after baby comes). The GT navigates better because of the single giant wheel up front and it's super light. I can fold with one hand, and it did great in the snow for us for 2 winters. I can also navigate with one hand which is key when you're holding an umbrella or phone or trying to do whatever. But I also live in a town/city where I mostly walk everywhere, so having something that was super easy to navigate was key for me (and it's the only non-umbrella stroller our daycare accepts because it folds so compact). If you mostly drive, then I'd go with the Select.
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    sarahgn said:
    I will be a FTM and plan on cloth diapering. I have been told by several people to skip the cloth diaper pail all together and to get a small, cheap seal top trash can and use regular trash bags. Cloth diapers need washed minimum of every other day, therefore they won't be spending much time in the pail anyway.
    @sarahgn Why did they suggest using regular trash bags?  I'm planning on cloth diapering and I've been told to go with either a regular top seal trash can with a cloth liner (they're waterproof) or one of those big hanging wet bags for cloth diapers.  Either way the dirty diaper holder gets tossed in the laundry with the diapers and is reusable.  I would think long term that it would be cheaper than getting trash bags every time.  Knowing our family I'd also worry that a regular trash bag sitting in the basement waiting to get put in the wash accidentally might get thrown away.  Is there another reason for the disposable bag I'm missing?  I'm new to this so I'd love to know.

• Options
    I liked the diaper pail (arm&hammer) I find baby poop doesn't really smell too bad until they eat solids and by that time they only poop once or twice a day rather than 6+ times.
    I also have multiple strollers, so it depends what you do. I run, so I have a jogging stroller, an umbrella stroller for once they are 6+ months when out shopping, etc., and I have a baby stroller a baby can sleep/lay. I had my daughter in November and never really went out or used a stroller until spring, so I could have done without the sleep/lay stroller. With my son in August, I still wanted to take my daughter to the park, etc. so it came in handy.
    I loved a play mat with lights so I could shower with a 4 week old and they liked laying on the mat (portable). I would say a boppy, bumbo, wipe warmer, bottle warmer, fancy contraptions you can usually find a replacement in your home that you already have, so skip on those. I had a boppy and preferred a pillow for nursing.
    Think about your lifestyle and what some moms love, others hate. Neither of my kids have liked a swing so far, but some moms swear by them. I have my kids put themselves down around six weeks and love a mobile in the crib with music, others think they are a waste! Good luck!
  • Options
    This is a lot of good info! Thanks ladies!
  • Options
    Must haves: baby carrier, simple stroller with car seat attachment, jumper, zippered onesie, dual breast pump, diaper genie elite. Can do without: large wheeled jogging stroller, boppy, sofie the giraffe teether toy, dreft laundry detergent (any free and clear will do), bottle warmer, wiper warmer...
  • Options

I didn't read through all the replies so this may be a repeat. I'm having my third and here's my thoughts, but definitely depends on where you live (city/suburban, how much room you have, etc.) and your preferences.

Loved --

Rocking/glider chair - get the most comfortable you can find for the nursery, you will probably spend a lot of time in it.

Ergo baby carrier- loved the ergo and used it a lot, especially with my second when I wanted to have hands free but also be holding the baby. I also used the infant insert for the ergo a lot with the second when the baby was smaller.

Snap n Go

Jogging Stroller (we had a cheaper one with our first and now have the Bob)

Good electric pump if breastfeeding and plan to pump at all - I used Medela

Bouncy seat / swing/ etc. - really only need one but I do think it's helpful to have one to use

Play Mat

Not necessary -

Boppy Pillow - I had both a breastfriend pillow and boppy at first as they were given to me. The breastfriend worked great for breastfeeding and I highly recommend, especially for first time nursing moms. Boppy was pretty useless to me, did use it a little to sit the baby in on the floor but there are a ton of other things you can use for that instead of purchasing a special pillow.

Wipes warmer

Bottle warmer - I mostly nursed but when I did use bottles, just made them with luke warm water or had the ready made liquid. Might be helpful if you are exclusively bottle feeding

Diaper genie/ pail - we live in suburban neighborhood. just took the poopy diapers right outside and the pee ones after a day or two would take out the little trash can.

Bottles - if bottle feeding, would recommend just getting a couple and trying before buying a bunch of one brand because sometimes babies are particular with these

Crib mobile

I also found it generally a waste of money to buy fancier outfits for the first few months. The baby is so tiny and I mostly put both of my babies in comfortable cotton clothing, they wore a lot of footed sleepers, one pieces, and onesies/pants. Not much of dresses, jean type pants, shoes, etc. They are sleeping a lot the first few months.

Hope that helps.