May 2016 Moms

When to stop sleeping on your belly?

hey guys, I am almost 8 weeks (7 w 5 d) and I am a HUGE belly sleeper!!!! Wondering if there is a certain time pregnant mommies should stop sleeping on their tummies or is it just whenever it becomes uncomfortable??

Re: When to stop sleeping on your belly?

• As soon as you can, I'd imagine.
    ~~Signature Trigger Warning~~

Me: 32; Him: 36
    Married: Oct 20, 2013
    BFP 1: Aug 31, 2015
    EDD 1: May 12, 2016
    DD1 Emma born May 12, 2016
    An Honest Account of New Motherhood (with Postpartum Anxiety, Depression, and OCD)

BFP 2: October 07, 2019
    EDD 2: June 20, 2020

• I too love sleeping on my tummy and I'm dreading when I have to stop. When I was pg with my first LO, I stopped once my belly popped. It will feel obviously uncomfortable at a certain point.
  • Loading the player...
  • When ever it is time, your body will let you know. I'm a stomach sleeper as well. Last pg I used one of those pregnancy pillows and would drape half of myself over the pillow and lay more on my side. I wasn't putting pressure on my belly, but I wasn't fully on my side either. I hope that makes sense. 

image image
  • .Kelly. said:

When ever it is time, your body will let you know. I'm a stomach sleeper as well. Last pg I used one of those pregnancy pillows and would drape half of myself over the pillow and lay more on my side. I wasn't putting pressure on my belly, but I wasn't fully on my side either. I hope that makes sense. 

Yup. This. When you need to stop, your body will make it obvious. I did the same thing with pillows. In the meantime, laying on my tummy as long as I still can. :)

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Married: 1/2008 ~ DD#1: 3/2012
    TTC #2: Started 4/2014       BFP 7/30/15   MC 8/3/15       BFP 9/4/2015   EDD 5/16/2016

• .Kelly. said:

When ever it is time, your body will let you know. I'm a stomach sleeper as well. Last pg I used one of those pregnancy pillows and would drape half of myself over the pillow and lay more on my side. I wasn't putting pressure on my belly, but I wasn't fully on my side either. I hope that makes sense. 

^this

I slept on my stomach until it was no longer comfortable

BabyFruit Ticker
  • .Kelly. said:

This. I'm already uncomfortable sleeping on my tummy. 'Twas a sad day, indeed.
                                    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Agree with previous, whrn it is no longer comfortable! One thing I was surprised about PP was how long until i could sleep on my tummy again. Probably taken about a 15 months to get to the same level of comfort... Then I get knocked up lol.

Moral of the story :enjoy tummy sleeping as long as you can!
    Angel baby June 2013, DD born 22 April 2014, BFP 10 Sept 2015 - Due 22 May 2016
  • avidkeo said:

Agree with previous, whrn it is no longer comfortable! One thing I was surprised about PP was how long until i could sleep on my tummy again. Probably taken about a 15 months to get to the same level of comfort... Then I get knocked up lol.

Moral of the story :enjoy tummy sleeping as long as you can!

This happened to me too! It's already gotten uncomfortable again at 7 weeks, so I'm side or back sleeping for now.
  • avidkeo said:
    Agree with previous, whrn it is no longer comfortable! One thing I was surprised about PP was how long until i could sleep on my tummy again. Probably taken about a 15 months to get to the same level of comfort... Then I get knocked up lol. Moral of the story :enjoy tummy sleeping as long as you can!
    I used to be a belly sleeper until I was pregnant with my first! But between having to sleep on my side while pregnant, and then not wanting to wake up in a puddle of breast milk when I was nursing I still haven't managed to get back on my stomach at night lol
    Baby #2 EDD: May 13th!
    BabyFruit Ticker
    Anniversary
  • Hi I'm from the February board. I'm 20weeks2d pregnant with my fourth baby and I still sleep on my stomach. It's honestly the most comfortable position to sleep in. But I also don't have a bump yet. I slept on my stomach with all my pregnancies until I just got a big bump and the position wasn't comfortable anymore. You will honestly know when to stop. :)
  • I am trying to wean myself from it, but I toss and turn sooooo long each evening, that ANYTHING that settles as comfy in the end is a blessed relief. Night owl plus RLS plus mild M/S has been less than fun. Relieved to hear tummy sleeping is not an outright no-no.
  • This is something I am dreading!!! =( with my first...sleep was hell. I popped early on and was pretty big (I was probably asked 20 times if I was having twins)... I'll continue to belly sleep until it's uncomfortable too.
  • From my experience it seems that not sleeping on your back in the 3rd trimester is a bigger deal than not sleeping on your stomach. I end up on my stomach sometimes and last pregnancy I just naturally stopped doing so for comfort reasons.
    Me 27 | DH 28
    DS October 2014
    #2 May 2016
  • I am trying to wean myself from it, but I toss and turn sooooo long each evening, that ANYTHING that settles as comfy in the end is a blessed relief. Night owl plus RLS plus mild M/S has been less than fun. Relieved to hear tummy sleeping is not an outright no-no.
    Eating some banana, almonds, and drinking a bit of milk in the evening has really helped RLS for me. It had gotten bad when I was pregnant last time and my doctor suggested it.
  • kami09 said:

This is something I am dreading!!! =( with my first...sleep was hell. I popped early on and was pretty big (I was probably asked 20 times if I was having twins)... I'll continue to belly sleep until it's uncomfortable too.

I'm popping a small belly verryyyyy early as well so I'm dreading the fact that the belly sleeping discomfort is probably coming soon....
  • Remembering back...I actually had to stop sleeping on my belly at 8-10 weeks, not because my belly was big, but because my boobs hurt so much! lol

Married: 1/2008 ~ DD#1: 3/2012
    TTC #2: Started 4/2014       BFP 7/30/15   MC 8/3/15       BFP 9/4/2015   EDD 5/16/2016

• From my experience it seems that not sleeping on your back in the 3rd trimester is a bigger deal than not sleeping on your stomach. I end up on my stomach sometimes and last pregnancy I just naturally stopped doing so for comfort reasons.

Please dont start getting people worried about this! You can sleep on your back in 3rd tri, if anything happens you wake up or move to a new position - your body has amazing systems in place to protect itself.

Sleep however you feel comfortable sleeping, and ignore anyone who says you "can't".
    Angel baby June 2013, DD born 22 April 2014, BFP 10 Sept 2015 - Due 22 May 2016
  • i slept on my stomach until it was uncomfortable. Im a tummy sleeper always so it was hard for me! but I would just tuck a body pillow underneath me so I would have the pressure off my belly, but still be laying on my tummy/side
    BabyFruit Ticker

BabyGaga
  • I'm at 8 weeks today and have just started noticing that sleeping on my stomach is getting uncomfortable - I used to sleep primary on my stomach and now I've found that I'm moving away from that position naturally. Maybe try not to force it? Rolling onto my belly is hurting my chest and my stomach a little too, although this maybe because i need to pee more often and my bladder is full, but whatever it is the discomfort wakes me up a bit and I adjust. I was worried about this as well, but it does seem to be occuring naturally, and if your not uncomfortable, I wouldn't worry about it. 
  • I've finally noticed this is a little uncomfortable for me, not bc of my stomach though. More bc of my boobs. I'm a stomach sleeper all the way so this kinda sucks... I did get an extra pillow though and hugging on that throughout the night does seem to help.
  • I'm 8 weeks and I recently have stopped sleeping directing on my stomach because my boobs hurt so bad. It's really funny because my husband and I sleep the same way now. Thank goodness for this king size bed!!!
  • I am a stomach sleeper too. I haven't been sleeping well because I'm a super light sleeper to begin with. I've noticed that I'll wake up on my side. I toss and turn all night because I just can't get comfortable. This is going to be a tough part of pregnancy for me!
    Pregnancy Ticker

5.5.16 | 8.14.17 | 1.30.19