Toddlers: 24 Months+
Options

Bedtime

What time does your 2.5 year old go to be do? My daughter used to go to bed at 7 then about 7:30. Now I'm lucky if she will go to bed by 9. She's in her own bed and I'll start bedtime well before then, but she keeps coming out asking for something or saying she's not tired. I feel like people I know don't have their 2.5 year olds going to bed so late, so just curious what everyone is dealing with on here. She goes to daycare and is tired when she gets home, but then just resists bedtime.
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Bedtime

• Options
    My son is 3.5 but his bed time has been the same for a long time: 8:00. Sometimes he will lay in bed and mess around for an hour but if he isn't crying, I leave him. We leave his door partially open but he never gets off his bed. We've taught him for so long that he needs to stay in his bed so he does.

My advice to is keep walking her back to bed over and over while telling her it's bedtime, stay in your bed. Don't focus on when other people out their kids to bed, only worry about your LO and teaching her to stay in bed. Move her bedtime up a tad bit if you want, maybe to 8, but I think you need to focus on teaching that bedtime means staying in bed until she falls asleep.
  • Options
    Bedtime is still rough here (my son will be 3 in December). He currently sleeps on a twin mattress on the floor in our room. We have an early morning (he has to be up by 5:45 for us to make it out the door on time. And ideally he'd be asleep by 8. But that never, ever happens. We start the bedtime routine around 7 most nights (bath, books, bed) and it's a good night if he's asleep by 8:30. AND we have to stay with him until he falls asleep. 

I agree with the previous reply that you just need to concentrate on your kid, but would also add that what works for one kid doesn't' work for another. We've tried the leave him in bed and keep taking him back thing, and it means we are literally up all night long. With two full-time workers in the house that doesn't last long. Do what works for you, and unless your daughter seems excessively grumpy (hard to tell at this age, I know!), sleep deprived, etc., don't stress too much. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thanks! Not really focused on what other people's kids are doing. She is my oldest so this is my first time going through this age, so was just curious if maybe it's common for them to go to bed a little later. I assume it's more just being stubborn, but thought I'd see if others dealt with it and had any suggestions. I'm with you on the constant walking her back to bed- gets frustrating! But that is what I've been doing. Guess I'll just keep with that.
  • Options
    My daughter generally goes to bed between 9-9:30 pm. We have had to actually push it back some days. I just follow her lead/cues, yes even as a toddler and that's what time she generally winds down. We get up early in the morning. She is at daycare by 6:30am and sometimes she goes back to sleep for 30-60 minutes. She also takes a nap in the afternoons anywhere from 1-3 hours. If she stays awake in the mornings then it's adjusted. She may fall asleep mid morning/early afternoon (for the same amount of time) and then she generally goes to bed earlier (8-8:30pm).