August 2015 Moms
Options

How long do you plan to BF?

So many of you know I struggled for a bit breastfeeding. Its still no walk in the park, but im past the hump and we are chugging through. I got back to work at the beginning of November and plan to hopefully pump for her then. I cant decide how long to keep it up, 6 months, 1 year?? How long are you all planning on trying to make it breastfeeding??

Re: How long do you plan to BF?

• Options
    For me it depends on when LO gets teeth. I am probably going to be done when I get bit. But hoping for about 6 months. From there, I may pump and give a bottle of breast milk up to a year. Still undecided on that.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

For me it depends on when LO gets teeth. I am probably going to be done when I get bit. But hoping for about 6 months. From there, I may pump and give a bottle of breast milk up to a year. Still undecided on that.

Mine never bit :)

• Options
    I think I'll be lucky to make it 3 months at the rate I'm going. The initial latch is still really painful and my nipples get sore. She eats so often I never get a break.
  • Options
    I will pump at work to six months I hope. Then I'll probably try to stop pumping at work slowly but continue at home to a year. I enjoy bf... But work will be a pain
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I'm hoping to make it to 6months and then see how I can keep up, since he will also be starting baby food hopefully I won't need to pump as often.

• Options
    I'm hoping to do at least the CDC recommended 6months but as PP mentioned, every day is a struggle. I always wanted to do it up to 9-12 months but I feel like the 6 month mark would be huge for us. Then again, if we can make it 6months, hopefully it'll have got a lot easier than it is now (we're going on 4 weeks now). I return to work in 2.5 weeks :-( and I can't imagine going to work with BF still being this difficult.
  • Options
    1 year. If he would wean himself before one year, I am planning to pump so I can still give him breast milk.
  • Options
    My goal is one year but we'll see how it goes. DD1 we went 7 months and I had major supply issues and I was so stressed out all the time, it was better for all of us when she switched to formula. DS went 13+ months without a single issue (I was working full time with both, my body just made more milk with him for some reason). So I guess it depends how my supply holds up once I'm back to work (which is next week! Ahh!). I'll definitely fight hard to keep it up for 6 months. After that if it's too much stress and just not working out, we'll make the switch.
  • Options

I think I'll be lucky to make it 3 months at the rate I'm going. The initial latch is still really painful and my nipples get sore. She eats so often I never get a break.

I know its tough momma. I didnt have pain and still went through a really bad time being chained to the couch so much. Do what you need to do and dont look back bc whatever you decide will be best for you and LO!
  • Options
    Robin910 said:

Right now my goal is to hit 6 months. If I make it to that goal than I'm hoping to hit 1 year but honestly sometimes my goal is just to make it through the day.

This was where I was at. Each day my goal was to make it that day...it made it easier to get through honestly, putting less pressure on myself.
  • Options
    12-18 months. BF really does get a lot easier (for most people) as LO's mouth gets bigger (better, deeper latch) and stronger (feeds only take 10-15 minutes). I introduced solids at 6 months with baby led weaning but they didn't start eating a good deal of solids and nursing less until 9 months. I got pregnant 11 months PP and my supply tanked and they weaned pretty naturally. Mine were early with teeth and I never had issues BF them. I could tell though when they were teething because their latch would be tighter and they'd hang out longer.
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    18 months would be my goal. We'll see how it goes though. I BF DS 15/16 months and he really still needed milk. He was sensitive to whole milk so that wasn't an option. We ended up buying goat milk for him. It was SO expensive! I'd really like to avoid that. Or else I'd be done at 12. I really want my body to myself again. I've been pregnant or breastfeeding for 3 years lol

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    6 months is my goal but if it is going well then I will probably go for a year.
  • Options
    6 months or when LO gets teeth whichever comes first. But I'm hoping to go back to work in Feb after I finish school and I'm hoping to pump and bottle feed after teething/6 months but obviously we'll see if that works based on work. Right now we can't afford formula and don't qualify for wic so I don't have a choice.
  • Options
    I'd like to do at least 3-4 months of EBF, then swap to pumping when I rejoin the workforce which would probably make it to 6 months. 
    DS1 - 8-10-2015 LO2 - EDD 4-30-2017
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    abmommy15 said:

6 months is my goal but if it is going well then I will probably go for a year.

Same here

• Options
    I plan to keep nursing and pumping until she gets teeth or I get bit, and hope to continue pumping to 1 year. I'd be open to pumping to 18 months if she's still taking a bottle. Of course it will all depend on how often I'll get to pump the three days I work (12 he shifts). I've read that you should try to pump 3 times during an 8 hour shift, but I definitely won't be able to do more than 3 times in a 12, I hope I can get that many!
  • Options
    I'm still nursing DD1 (2.5yr) for about 10 minutes at nap and bedtime and maybe for a minute or two once every other day or so. I'm mostly just going with the flow and compromising with DD1 and I hope to do the same with DD2.
  • Options
    I will be returning to work at 12 weeks and hope to pump and keep everything going. My initial goal is 6 months but I really want to make it to a year.
  • Options
    My short term goal is 2 months. (DS will be 6 weeks on Tuesday). My long term goal is 1 year. I really want to make it to a year, but I don't want so much pressure on myself that I'm heartbroken if it doesn't work. So I'm setting a goal of a month at a time. The first month was very painful with DS being tongue tied. His latch it better now that his mouth is bigger. Things are going well now, so hopefully we can keep it up! He cluster feeds allllllll the time, but I'm a SAHM, so I feel like I can deal with that since I do have time. I didn't think I'd like breastfeeding, but I love it, despite all the pain in the beginning and how time consuming it is. It's our special bonding time! He's had a few bottles because I want him to be able to take one if I want to go out to eat with DH, or whatever else. Watching him eat a bottle actually made me very sad! I really don't like it but I know I need to let him have one every couple of days.
  • Options
    I plan to EBF for 1 year, but we'll see what happens.
  • Options
    I plan to BF for at least a year, but since I BF my first for 27 months I expect I'll BF till my LO weans naturally (he's our last). I'll be pumping at work from 10 weeks to one year, then I'll pump wean and just nurse on demand when we are together.
  • Options
    My goal is a year with a minimum of 6 months. I go back to work in 2 weeks so a lot of it will depend on my ability to keep myself on a pumping schedule at work. Luckily I have a private office and a supportive boss, so it's really just up to me to make it a priority and not get distracted and work through it instead.
  • Options
    I'd like to BF 12-18 months. I really want to BF for at least a year but I don't think I'd go longer than 2 years. I didn't think I'd make it BFing during the 3 week growth spurt but now that we're through that I think I can.
  • Options
    I would love to make it a year with BF and pumping (once back at work) but I'm only 7 weeks in and I think my supply is tanking. So disheartening. :((
  • Options
    I pump every 2-3 hours and have just built it back up so on a good day I can get 4-5 ounces for the whole day. A lot of times I think it's even ridiculous in pumping for such a small amount, but I'm just going every little bit of breast milk is still good for LO. I probably won't keep if up when I go back to work, it's very time consuming for such a small amount of milk.
  • Options
    i think 6 months or a year. Happy it's 3weeks and I feel confident and the hard parts over
  • Options
    I'm thinking at least a year. I'd like to let her wean on her own.
  • Options
    At first I thought I would only do 6 months, but now am really hoping for a year and just wondering if its going to be doable with pumping once I go back to work. People do it all the time so FX!!!
  • Options
    6 mo is our short term goal. Made it 4 with my first.
    Mom to one in heaven. Mom to one here on Earth.

BFP - 12/1
    First U/S - 12/11 Saw heartbeat
    Second U/S - 12/18 HR 120 BPM 
    Third U/S - 12/23/2014 HR 150 BPM

Due Date - 8/8/2015 
    Arrival Date - 8/3/2015 - Asher David 8 lbs 5 oz 21 1/2"

• Options
    I'm already supplement because my supply hasn't been great but I plan on BFing as much as I can for the first year. If I don't make it to my goal, I won't be disappointed. If this past month has taught me anything, it's that plans are great but life (esp with LO) has a way of surprising you.