Breastfeeding

Handling Feeding outside of the house

there has been a lot of discrepancies against women breast feeding in public (even with a feeding cape on). how do you handle feeding in places like a restaurant without royally ticking people off? i personally dont see a problem with feeding in public in general, but when it comes to the "oh so superior law" who seem to have an issue with little humans being fed, i'm not sure where to go to legally feed my daughter (once she is born). the mall has a private room, but places like restaurants and such do not have a room, and i will not willingly feed her in a bathroom stall with the germs and disgusting contaminants. what can be done? (its shocking that women can now go topless but should a woman feed her baby, you can be arested... there was a recent story in the paper about a woman that was arrested cause she refused to remove herself from a public space that had nowhere private besides the bathroom, and she stated that the state of that bathroom was 'unkept')

Re: Handling Feeding outside of the house

• JessaRex said:
    there has been a lot of discrepancies against women breast feeding in public (even with a feeding cape on). how do you handle feeding in places like a restaurant without royally ticking people off? i personally dont see a problem with feeding in public in general, but when it comes to the "oh so superior law" who seem to have an issue with little humans being fed, i'm not sure where to go to legally feed my daughter (once she is born). the mall has a private room, but places like restaurants and such do not have a room, and i will not willingly feed her in a bathroom stall with the germs and disgusting contaminants. what can be done? (its shocking that women can now go topless but should a woman feed her baby, you can be arested... there was a recent story in the paper about a woman that was arrested cause she refused to remove herself from a public space that had nowhere private besides the bathroom, and she stated that the state of that bathroom was 'unkept')
    Most states have laws protecting breastfeeding mothers in public.  

I BF my daughters wherever I wanted when we were out and about.  I used a cover and I never had anyone say anything to me regarding what I was doing.  

I am a huge advocate for women being able to breastfeed in public without shame or feeling like they have to hide.  You are feeding your baby, that's it.  If someone has an issue with that, it's THEIR issue and it's not up to you to make them comfortable.  It's up to you to feed your child how you feel comfortable.  

Please don't feel the need to feed your baby in a bathroom or that you have to hide away.  Don't concern yourself with what others are thinking and just worry about feeding your babe.  

I'd check out the laws in your state and arm yourself with them so in the event anything should happen while you're out in public, you can address it within those guidelines.  
  • I'll nurse pretty much wherever. I did move to the area outside of the main church during services, but that was it. I nurse at the park or a restaurant or shopping. I try to be discrete and no one has ever said anything negative to me. 
  • Loading the player...
  • I have always fed where ever. I walked around GAP yesterday nursing LO. In restaurants I usually nurse and feed myself at the same time. I rarely use a cover because it's so hot. There are ways to be discreet without a cover.

TTC#1 for 19 months with PCOS and MFI IUI#3 + injectables = BFP!!!!  Beta#1-134(13dpiui) Beta #2-392(15dpiui) 
    #1 born December 2011
    TTC#2 - Beta #1 -51@10dpo Beta#2 -1353 @16dpo
    #2 born May 2013
    TTC # 3 June 2014 BFP 12-1-14
    #3 born August 2015 
    #4!!!!!!! due June 2017 
  • I've nursed my son in at least five different states, never used a cover, and only used nursing rooms when I was tired and wanted the comfy chair or when he was too distracted to latch with other people around.

In 21 months, I've never had a negative comment in public. I few family members have been rude.
    Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    Parent of Baby Boy M, born December 2013 Angels: Miscarriage @ 9 weeks, May 2015, Chemical Pregnancy November 2015

Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • I have no idea where you live, but I think in the US you can feed anywhere without needing to use a cover. That doesn't mean that others will be comfortable with it though. I prefer to use a cover. People know what is happening, but the cover gives me my privacy if others decide not to look away.
  • my mistake. she was not arrested, but the cops were called and a huge scene was made about it. apparently it happens more often than it should :(
  • i reside in canada, there are laws that protect public feeding, but by the sounds of it, americans are more polite about it than canadians are lol. ive personally witnessed about 3 women being approached and asked to remove themselves from a restaurant or a mall in the last few years by security or general public. as i said, there are laws that state that women are aloud to nurse in public here as well like in the states, but most citizens are not shy about making their (in my opinion foolish) discomforts very well known. im usually all for telling people to go mind their own business (with sometimes a few extra choice words if they are being aggressive towards me), but that was before. id rather handle it in a more mature and professional manner now that i'm going to be a mom. i may just print off a copy or two of the law and just give it to them.

as a side note, i laugh when people say canadians are nice and pushovers. our politicians and public officials are nice and are pushovers, but most citizens will jump to bite a persons head off when they feel that their place in their country is being nudged around a little lol
  • I feed LO in the car in those instances. I'm just not comfortable enough yet to whip it out in public. We've done a lot of parking lot feedings

BabyFetus Ticker 
    Little dude will be here before we know it!

• I feed LO in the car in those instances. I'm just not comfortable enough yet to whip it out in public. We've done a lot of parking lot feedings

My baby is only 6 days old and I've only been able to BF in front of my husband (I let it all hang out lol) and discreetly in front of my mother. I haven't tried with a cover yet, but I do have one and I think that's how I would be most comfortable. I'm also pumping, so between a nursing cover, bottles (in another month or so), places with private spaces for BF, and my own car, I think I'll be okay! Super nervous to BF in public when the time comes!
  • It took a lot of getting used to but I steadily became more and more comfortable nursing in public. You just have to go for it. I like the idea of the business card though.

I live in the Southern US and I have never had a nasty look from someone, i have had a couple of intense stares but I just gave them the death stare back so they quickly looked away (I have a really withering death stare). I've only ever had women come up to me and congratulate me on successfully BF and for doing so in public. I did have one creeper at the laundromat ask me if my baby was going to eat soon and I did not feel comfortable nursing when he was there but the laundromat employee came over and asked me if he was bothering me and would ask him to leave! So I guess I'm lucky.

I am still nursing my toddler but after one year old I decided not to bf in public with her. I would let her have a tiny bit in the car if we were out too long somewhere but she understood that we only nursed at home now. I have a 1 month old now and I am way more bold nursing her in public than I was with my first. I nursed LO in the ring sling while shopping at goodwill and with DD1 I always waited to nurse her in the dressing room. I couldn't be bothered with a newborn and a toddler I needed to find some sweaters and she needed to eat so we had to do both!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Breastfeeding support groups are a great help for moms uncertain about nursing in public. La Leche League is an international organization, many hospitals have support group meetings hosted by an IBCLC, and there's an organization called Breastfeeding USA (probably others you can find outside the US, too).

Sometimes just being around other nursing moms can help make you less shy about it. You can also see how women nurse without baring it all (although many women are more comfortable showing more skin when surrounded by other nursing moms). I've never seen anyone actually "whip it out" in public, although personally, I have been tempted. I usually use the "2 shirt" method, wearing a tank top/cami under another shirt, and pull the bottom shirt down, top shirt up. All that's exposed is my nipple, slightly, while I get baby to latch. But I've never had full exposure in 21 months of nursing.
    Parent of Baby Boy M, born December 2013 Angels: Miscarriage @ 9 weeks, May 2015, Chemical Pregnancy November 2015

• JessaRexJessaRex member
    edited September 2015
    -------------------
    Chichigo said:
    I usually use the "2 shirt" method, wearing a tank top/cami under another shirt, and pull the bottom shirt down, top shirt up. -------

ME:
    this is a great idea, rather than buying them "special" shirts that cost almost twice as much. i have 2 that my mum went out and bought the moment she found out she was going to be a grandma, and the price just for the 2 was unreal!! i was debating making a sewing project with some old shirts, but this is a much better idea so i don't have to destroy some of my shirts (babies are expensive enough and sacrificing clothing isn't easy when you are already without a solid income (only DD is working at the moment) and you have a frugal mind set lol
  • I don't generally use nursing bras, either. I used one recently, and when I unsnapped it, my toddler said "utoh, broken."

• I started off using a cover but my son would get to hot under it. Now I wear two shirts, the undershirt is a tank top that I can just pull down and then pull up and use the top shirt to cover the top of my breast. I was shy at first but I had to get over that real quick since my son always wants to eat and I'm always on the go with a 9 year old daughter. If it is too hot to wear two shirts I just bring a small receiving blanket to cover my belly. I have nursed at resturants, museums, softball games, YMCA, my daughters school, the pool and many more places and I haven't had anyone say anything to me but I do try to be discreet as possible without using a cover which I feel brings more attention to it. I have been feeding a couple of times when someone will come up to me to see the baby without realizing he was eating.. Ha! :) good luck and I hope you find something that you are comfortable with!