Baby Names

Atlas or Odin?

criticaldawncriticaldawn member
edited September 2015 in Baby Names
Hubby is a big mythology fan and we've gotten his massive list of names down to 2, Atlas and Odin for a baby boy due in 3 weeks.

Not looking for names outside of these 2 at the moment - we are each going in with a name(my choice is Flynn) and will decide once we see bubba.

Atlas or Odin? 135 votes

Atlas
44% 60 votes
Odin
55% 75 votes

Re: Atlas or Odin?

• I actually really love both. I feel like Atlas is a bit more ballsy to use but I voted for it. I do equally love Odin though.

• I don't love or hate either, but to me Atlas is more of an object than a name so I voted for Odin.

• Loading the player...
  • I don't like either but respect that you aren't open for other suggestions so won't offer any.  Given that atlas is a book of maps and not a name IMO I voted for Odin by default.

httpi62tinypiccomuarkwpng

httpdb88884558af2dd1308c-3341812d6775871652d58b599202ab3cr4cf1rackcdncomthebumpvanillaforumscomFileUploadb7817660919c960ebd43e30c9c837741jpg
  • I won't offer any other names since you aren't asking for that, but I sincerely hope that you end u going with your choice.

• bbiutmcph said:

I actually really love both. I feel like Atlas is a bit more ballsy to use but I voted for it. I do equally love Odin though.

Took the words right outa my mouth!

Me (31) & DH (35) #DFDubClub
    TTC since August 2013 - Break: Jan-June 2014
    Everything looks good on me so far.  Going in for U/S in Oct just to be absolutely sure everything is good.
    SA for DH pending.
  • g8trkim said:
    I don't love or hate either, but to me Atlas is more of an object than a name so I voted for Odin.
    Agreed.
    LFAF September Siggy Challenge: Pinterest Fails

• Odin is better. Flynn is best.

August '18 April Siggy Challenge: April Showers

Lilypie Maternity tickers

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I like Atlas better then Odin (I personally try to avoid using the kings/leaders of various mythological gods, seems, egotistical) But, I would also be wary meeting a person named Atlas for fear their parents were big Objectivists and raised a monster of a prick.
  • I much prefer Atlas - bizarrely I've heard of a few children with Thor and Odin monikers recently, and while I don't think your child will be one of many, I find Atlas a lot more refreshing and completely unrelated to Marvel (which is where I think a lot of those people got the names from - NOT from mythology)
  • I hope that you go with Odin. Atlas is fine. I am so over Flynn.
  • I just can't get behind either of these. Odin makes me think of Odie from Garfield and Atlas is too out there for me. I can't imagine seeing it on a resume.
  • edited September 2015
    Odin. In addition to Atlas referencing a book of maps, there is something about Atlas shouldering the weight of the world that I don't like. It seems like a bad omen/wish for your child. ETA: I know Atlas held up the heavens but it still a punishment. And most people would think of bearing the weight of the world and have that association.
  • groovylocksgroovylocks member
    edited September 2015
    I'm usually not a fan of mythological names but I love Atlas. Imagine if your kid gets the travel bug with a name like that. Odin reminds me of that patchouli-wearing dork I dated in the 11th grade. He thought he was a psychic. He charged people money for tarot readings and had this weird Asgard obsession and a vintage boy George tshirt that he wore with Tibetan prayer beads.
  • Odin. In addition to Atlas referencing a book of maps, there is something about Atlas shouldering the weight of the world that I don't like. It seems like a bad omen/wish for your child. ETA: I know Atlas held up the heavens but it still a punishment. And most people would think of Beaton the weight of the world and have that association.

I thought of this too. I'm still a fan but this is something to be aware of.
  • I actually really like Odin so that would be my vote....not a big fan of Atlas
  • I LOVE both of these names.