November 2015 Moms
Options

Teacher Mommies?

2»

Re: Teacher Mommies?

• Options
    Omg, teachers returned to school today in my district (students return next Monday), and it was a little rough. I've said that I really have felt great and been fine all summer, but I was reminded today that I also wasn't really doing much! I went to the gym 4-5 days a week and ran my regular errands, cooked some, and did some projects around the house, but I also had plenty of leisure time. After sitting in three hours worth of meetings in an uncomfortable chair and then being on my feet trying to set up my classroom, I don't feel so hot! I can't imagine how much more difficult next week is going to be when the kids return! I hope you ladies have more luck than I did today!
  • Options
    Goodness where to begin? We are allowed in our classrooms the 17th, 1st day for teachers is the 25th & the following week kiddos come back. I've done zilch for this coming school year. I have an intern, new assistant, & a new special Ed teacher starting. I'm lead special Ed teacher & it's my responsibility for pretty much everything...hmmmm. Plus, a high profile case that I've already had to take on... Our little bundle was a surprise & we've not even started to BUILD his nursery yet!!!!! My hubs is on his 2 weeks for the National Guard & my 4 year old has started with night terrors, has a cold, & has been fighting hand, foot, & mouth + impetigo.
    On the bright side, this pregnancy has been wonderful!!!!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I teach but in college lol. My semester starts Aug 31. I'm doing a full credit load but my chair is working with me to end half the credits early by having a GA teach the rest of my semester and the other half are online. I'll be out of the office from November 1 until about March 1. I planned the spring semester so that I compressed my credit load into the second half (7 weeks) by doubling up on meeting times. All the work in half the weeks. Best of both worlds. I love working in higher Ed. But I'm also finishing phd courses which there is no wiggle room with. Ugh. And have a four year old to take care of too. DH is a big help. His employer gives 12 weeks paid paternity leave!
  • Options
    Ugh. We have had at least one planning meeting every week for the past three weeks, but we aren't officially in workshop until August 25th, and the kids aren't back until September 8th! I work with at-risk students, so I've been trying to mentally prepare myself for the insensitive comments, but I have been so sensitive lately about my body and weight gain, that the first few weeks will be interesting for sure! I do feel fortunate that my department has changed my role for the fall to lighten my load while I'm out on maternity leave. I just know it's going to break my heart to go back in January and put little in daycare! Good luck to all of you teacher mommas! Have a tremendous school year! :)
  • Options
    Bringing this thread back to life because I want to hear how everyone else's year has been so far! Teaching high schoolers in a VERY high need area has been seriously kicking butt, emotionally and physically. Has anyone come up with some coping strategies? I get home and literally collapse on my bed until the next morning. Not doing too well for my emotional well being or relationship with the hub.
  • Options
    I'm just substitute teaching, and I don't know if that's worse than teaching full time at this point! I'm not working every day yet because most teachers are still crazy to leave their kids, so I'm thankful that I'm getting to rest on days off, but it also makes it more difficult because my body isn't getting used to a routine.

• Options
    Bless you for being a sub... I literally cannot even wrap my head around how ya'll do it!
  • Options
    I'm exhausted....we have been back since August 3rd. I come home and have nothing else to give. I am behind in grading, emails,and about everything else. Love my kids this year and am blessed with a great group. However, I am secretly hoping to be put on lite duty ASAP!
  • Options

Teaching high schoolers in a VERY high need area has been seriously kicking butt, emotionally and physically. Has anyone come up with some coping strategies? I get home and literally collapse on my bed until the next morning. Not doing too well for my emotional well being or relationship with the hub.

I am with you completely! I teach English with 8th and 11th graders... the 11th is a new prep. I never feel like I have enough time to prep for it (with no resources), nor for grading anything. I am trying to spend more time getting work done any second possible during school, but it is so tough when I try to be good and engaged the whole per with kiddos. I come home and am basically worthless. Today was a bit better, and I hope that trend continues, but I feel like I will run out of steam by mid week in my evenings. Another teacher friend must be super woman... she is due at the start of oct, and I feel like she is just going about like the nin-pregnant version of herself. I don't know how she is doing all she does. A bit jealous, honestly! I would love to know how you're all doing and coping.
  • Options

Bringing this thread back to life because I want to hear how everyone else's year has been so far! Teaching high schoolers in a VERY high need area has been seriously kicking butt, emotionally and physically. Has anyone come up with some coping strategies? I get home and literally collapse on my bed until the next morning. Not doing too well for my emotional well being or relationship with the hub.

I teach 11th grade English, and the school year is going fairly well. My kids understand that I can't be on my feet all day. In fact, they sometimes suggest that I take seat bc they can tell I'm tired. Bless their hearts. I teach five classes, and only one is a bit of a challenge. I have to be a bit more on my toes with them, which is also annoying bc it's a class near the end of the day. My class sizes are actually 9, 12, 14, 15, and 17. It's AMAZING. Not sure what I did to deserve that. Basically, I just try to get as much done at school as possible. I grade and plan during my planning and study hall, as well as anytime the kids are working independently. I, too, am exhausted by the end of the day, and I'm not doing much work outside of school bc I need my rest. I'm only behind on grading one project, and surprisingly, the kids haven't even bothered to ask about it. I think a lot of them are afraid of waking the beast! Good luck with the next several weeks...a "break" is coming soon, haha.